Blogs

Notices

Mouthwash!

Old 03-30-2010, 05:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mouthwash!

Taboo subject? I don't know, but feel it needs to be addressed.
I have just realized that my alcoholic co-worker, who I have mentioned before, is drinking the stuff. He doesn't smell of booze anymore, just very minty. Of course the other tell tale signs are there.
I don't know much about this apart from having sunk that low to have considered it in the past myself when all stores were closed. Here's an admission I'm not proud of. Luckily I was too drunk to get up and do it .
I looked it up on the internet now and I was shocked to see people actually comparing strength.
Am I wrong in thinking that this is poison and not just another form of a drink?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very dangerous, Saphie, but sadly it doesn't stop some of us - any more than it stops people drinking metho (methylated spirits).

Prayers for your workmate.
D
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
Astro (03-30-2010), least (03-30-2010), Saphie (03-30-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 06:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saphie View Post
Am I wrong in thinking that this is poison and not just another form of a drink?
Well, I think it's neither. Mouthwash is a hygiene product that some people misuse.

During active addiction, a lot of people will drink the most unbelievable stuff just to get a buzz. I've heard of certain "cocktails" that make mouthwash pale in comparison.

For what it's worth, I usually stick to alcohol-free MW.

I hope your co-worker finds the help he needs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mattcake For This Useful Post:
Saphie (03-30-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

When I watched an episode of Intervention a few weeks ago, the guy was hospitalized because he was literally dying from drinking (sorry can't remember his name), and he was squirting the hand sanitizer into a cup (it is foam), mixing it with water, and drinking it.

It's horrible the places this thing can take some of us. Very dangerous, very sad.
The Following User Says Thank You to flutter For This Useful Post:
Saphie (03-30-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I haven't watched Intervention in a long time, but saw an episode of a woman who did just that - drank mouthwash. She had hidden bottles of it around the house. Very sad.

Have also read about other people who drink cough syrup and vanilla extract.

There but for the grace of God go I...these alcoholics who are very definitely still suffering are in my prayers - as is your co-worker.
The Following User Says Thank You to HumbleBee For This Useful Post:
Saphie (03-30-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Originally Posted by HumbleBee View Post
I haven't watched Intervention in a long time, but saw an episode of a woman who did just that - drank mouthwash. She had hidden bottles of it around the house. Very sad.
I saw that episode. Was drinking heavily at the time, but it was one of those things that made me go, "Well, at least I'm not THAT lady!" So my drinking is no big deal, right?

Now I don't understand why I would point a finger at someone like that. She was obviously in need of much help, and I sincerely hope she got or gets it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snarf For This Useful Post:
HumbleBee (03-30-2010), Saphie (03-30-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have heard this too, its not something i would have considered but then again i always had money so who knows?! I have heard of people dropping their bottle of vodka and licking it up off the floor between the glass...hand sanitizer nope never heard of that...i certainly wouldn't use these examples as a basis for comparison as to whether i was an alcoholic or not if you can help it...bad though...

I use listerine mouthwash which has alcohol in it but i dont drink it?!
The Following User Says Thank You to yeahgr8 For This Useful Post:
Saphie (03-30-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's really horrible what this disease of addiction does to us!
The Following User Says Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Saphie (03-30-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's really horrible what this disease of addiction does to us!
Ain't that the truth!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I strictly use Alcohol-Free mouthwash. I Wouldn't go near regular mouthwash as swilling my mouth round with alcohol and maybe the odd little bit dripping down my throat is insanity for me personally being that I'm an alcoholic.

Nothing in the world of alcoholism/addiciton surprises me at all. Desperate times call for desparate measures. Though I never drank mouthwash and never considered it, I got lower and lower in my behaviour so i guess drinking mouthwash really is scraping the barrel of lowness. I guess if you're at the stage where you couldn't care if you're alive or dead and already intoxicated then why not?... Kind of like when the only buzz left is Butane out of a lighter-refill. You know it's low but you'l do anything for a buzz.

Glad to be out of that but I know I'm only one drink away from the gutter.

Most hospitals in UK had to replace all of the hand sanitiser with alcohol-free as the homeless were raiding them for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to NEOMARXIST For This Useful Post:
Saphie (03-31-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
part time member

Wow I remember the episode with the woman and her mouthwash. Something about she wouldn't go to bed unless she could see the bottle because she was afraid that her family was going to take it away. My son and husband thought that it was funny at the time. I actually understood where this woman was coming from. Scary. And yes I did the swig of mouthwash once. Just about that same time I realized that I was in big trouble. The things that alcoholics will do. I am so glad I am not there anylonger.
The Following User Says Thank You to LovesToTravel For This Useful Post:
Saphie (03-31-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i dont care what its suppose to be used for ...cleaning teeth or thinning paint.
it was all the same to me......alcohol.

At this stage i wasnt concerned with whether it did serious harm......my main focus was booze.

i didnt have a choice imo.

im sorry you witness your co worker in serious trouble....

god with him/her.......
The Following User Says Thank You to shaun00 For This Useful Post:
Saphie (03-31-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 12:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I was in rehab last year, they told me that my mouthwash had to be specifically alcohol-free. At the time when I went in, I had already been a week and half to two weeks sober and I thought that the rehab was acting too ridiculous with that. In my head, I just couldnt imagine someone drinking mouthwash. When I got there, people told me that they took the hand sanitizers out because people were drinking it for the alcohol. When I heard that, I thought it was impossible to do that and get high off it.

Now thinking back, I realize that those situations could apply to me. Just because I never did it or thought about it doesnt mean that it cant happen to me. When I turned 21 and started drinking, I used to judge people who got DUI's. I thought, geez... how hard is it to go get a taxi or have someone else drive you home. Well... what do you know, I have a DUI. This disease does really affect all types of people. I have money to get booze but if I didnt, i'm sure i'd resort to something else like mouthwash. Although it is sad to hear about these types of stories, these stories help me get through this hour and the rest of the day.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Recovery1983 For This Useful Post:
Astro (03-30-2010), HumbleBee (03-30-2010), Mattcake (03-30-2010), Saphie (03-31-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 02:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had a co-worker who drank mouthwash towards the end of his drinking 'career'.

He ended up getting fired.

3 months later he showed up for work like nothing had happened. His car was all smashed up from the frantic trip in that morning. He was worried about being late.

My boss had to gently explain to him that he no longer worked there.
He was a very confused person and he passed away shortly after that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard54 For This Useful Post:
Saphie (03-31-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Saphie View Post
Hi Saphie,

If it contains fluoride then it is a poison and too much fluoride can kill - hence the warnings on toothpastes and mouthwashes not to swallow.

But as Trucker says, this man is alcoholic, poison or death mean nothing, all he needs is alcohol.

Take care of yourself. Remember you are powerless of his use of alcohol as well as your own.
The Following User Says Thank You to intention For This Useful Post:
Saphie (03-31-2010)