Notices

My Mom has a drug problem, wanted to share my story

Old 03-23-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Mom has a drug problem, wanted to share my story

Just wanted to tell my story get any information and advised that anyone had to offer. I am 29, my mom is 55 and she has been abusing prescription meds for about 10 years now. She was good at hiding it for the most part; there were times that even I could not tell. Every so often she would kind of go off the deep end and there would be no denying what was going on and everything she would swear that she would never do it again. I hope she’s about to do her first stint in rehab but judging from her state of mind I’m afraid that she is not ready to get the help that she needs.

I moved out of the house in February because of her drug behavior, again she swore that it had lost her the presence of her daughter and she would never abuse again. About three weeks later she has some “friends” come to visit. On Sunday one of her “friends” went to the ER in an ambulance for a drug over dose. I was told that my mom slept from Wednesday until Friday. She stayed in the recliner and never moved. Her sister in law called me Friday afternoon and said that she planned to call the paramedics. She called and explained that this was not the first we had been in this position with her and that if she woke up and said that she did not want to go the hospital the medics could not make her go. The dispatcher sent an officer first he assessed my mom and asked her some questions and determined that was in danger and must go to the hospital.

That’s where she is now, in ICU. At first they said that she showed signs of kidney failure because she stayed in the same place for so longer but that condition has reversed itself. Now she is being treated for pneumonia and once she is medically stable she will be going to a psychiatric hospital\ drug rehabilitation. She had been very uncooperative and belligerent and the staff must keep her in restraints and has a guard at her door. She will periodically tear out the IV and insist that she is leaving. I called for an update a little while ago and the staff transferred my call to my mom. All she wanted to know was who had her pills because she will need them when she gets out. How can she possibly be receptive to the help that is going to be offered her when all she is worried about is getting her pills back? She has anxiety and chronic back pain but obviously she does not take her meds as directed and when she runs out her meds she will buy them from others. I want her to get better but I am afraid to have any hope because she had disappointed me so many times before.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi princess29340

I have no experience with this situation but I know it's very important for you to take of yourself in all of this. There are a number of support organisations around like NarAnon - have you considered checking them out? I wish you and your mom well, but ultimately she has to want to get better herself - I hope she may soon reach that point.

I know you'll find a lot of help and support here and we have a Family and Friends forum here too that you might like to look at - you'll find people there with experience in similar situations

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Welcome to SR
D
Old 03-23-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

princess29,

I'm so sorry you are going through this. It's frightening to watch. Please to check out the forums Dee has referenced for you. There's lots of support!

Love,

Lenina
Old 03-23-2010, 03:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by princess29340 View Post
Just wanted to tell my story get any information and advised that anyone had to offer. I am 29, my mom is 55 and she has been abusing prescription meds for about 10 years now. She was good at hiding it for the most part; there were times that even I could not tell. Every so often she would kind of go off the deep end and there would be no denying what was going on and everything she would swear that she would never do it again. I hope she’s about to do her first stint in rehab but judging from her state of mind I’m afraid that she is not ready to get the help that she needs.

I moved out of the house in February because of her drug behavior, again she swore that it had lost her the presence of her daughter and she would never abuse again. About three weeks later she has some “friends” come to visit. On Sunday one of her “friends” went to the ER in an ambulance for a drug over dose. I was told that my mom slept from Wednesday until Friday. She stayed in the recliner and never moved. Her sister in law called me Friday afternoon and said that she planned to call the paramedics. She called and explained that this was not the first we had been in this position with her and that if she woke up and said that she did not want to go the hospital the medics could not make her go. The dispatcher sent an officer first he assessed my mom and asked her some questions and determined that was in danger and must go to the hospital.

That’s where she is now, in ICU. At first they said that she showed signs of kidney failure because she stayed in the same place for so longer but that condition has reversed itself. Now she is being treated for pneumonia and once she is medically stable she will be going to a psychiatric hospital\ drug rehabilitation. She had been very uncooperative and belligerent and the staff must keep her in restraints and has a guard at her door. She will periodically tear out the IV and insist that she is leaving. I called for an update a little while ago and the staff transferred my call to my mom. All she wanted to know was who had her pills because she will need them when she gets out. How can she possibly be receptive to the help that is going to be offered her when all she is worried about is getting her pills back? She has anxiety and chronic back pain but obviously she does not take her meds as directed and when she runs out her meds she will buy them from others. I want her to get better but I am afraid to have any hope because she had disappointed me so many times before.
Wow this sounds like what I went through with my mother years ago,....all you can do is pray for her and hope the doctors can help her. I know that probably doesn't offer too much comfort but it's out of your control. I did visit my mother as often as I could. Do you have any other family that can offer you support?
Old 03-23-2010, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! Please do check out the forum for which Dee gave you the link. Lots of support and experience from those people, as they've had to go thru similar situations. I hope we can give you help and support, whether from this site or elsewhere.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Princess,

I am really sorry for your situation, and I am glad that you are reaching out for support.

You've gotten some good advice here, and do check out our Friends and Families forum as well.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Princess,

Keep writing to us. Tell us how it is going. This is very important.

First of all, the whole situation is ENTIRELY OUT OF CONTROL. It is not your fault. She is your mom way down deep inside, but on the outside, there is an addict. That addict does not care about anything accept getting more drugs. That is NOT bad. That is sick. A very real disease. Think about a person who needs insulin; If they do not get it, they turn completely out-of-control, something unrecognizable. It's not their fault either. They have a very real disease and they need medical help. Since I am not a doctor, I will let the medical staff handle it. When she is back in the right frame of mind, you can attempt to "speak to her" again. But, for now, your words will not sink in.

I will pray for you Princess. I hope your mom gets well.