Notices

Is AA for me?

Old 03-23-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Is AA for you? If you have a problem staying sober then any solution is worth fully giving yourself to.

Can AA be used to control your drinking?

No.

Regarding withdrawals, I could tell I was in trouble before I stopped drinking. Keep your twelve pack handy and go 3 days without drinking. If you have any physical problems from withdrawal then drink the beer. Pretty simple. If you have to drink the beer because of the unease of withdrawal then go to your doctor and get the help you need to stop.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by MUDDCATT View Post
Thanks for all of your post, they are helpful. Most of you say to see a Doctor, I am not sure I need to because I "only" drank a 12 pack a day. I know It's too much but I don't think I would have bad withdraw symptoms??? I know I don't want it on my medical record and I know with support from freinds family and maybe AA I can do it. Just random thoughts. Once again thanks.
If you can't go to your doctor, then do make sure you have someone with you all the time and that they are aware of what alcohol withdrawal symptoms are and that they are prepared to call an ambulance immediately if you become unwell.
Take care of yourself
Old 03-23-2010, 09:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Most of you say to see a Doctor, I am not sure I need to because I "only" drank a 12 pack a day.
Allow me to state once again what my psychiatrist has experienced:

"My psych told me she has seen heavy drinkers that suffered no withdrawl symptoms and "light" drinkers that suffered from heavy symptoms. In short, the amount a person has consumed does not necessarily determine the severity of withdrawl symptoms."

Do you really want to mess around with this? That's not meant in any sort of spiteful way, but please realize that people do die from withdrawls without medical supervision.

Sure, you might be just fine but why risk it? Another perk by going to the doctor is that they can really encourage you regarding getting help in staying sober (and not just AA meetings).

Your choice but, personally, I would take the very easy step of seeing a doctor to make sure you have the support.

RacerX
Old 03-23-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Is AA for me?
One of the co-founders of AA had this to say about it.
Originally Posted by AA BB 1st Ed.
But if you really and truly want to quit drinking liquor for good and all, and sincerely feel that you must have some help, we know that we have an answer for you. It never fails if you go about it with one half the zeal you have been in the habit of showing when getting another drink.
When I became convinced of the hoplessness and futility of my life and of my continually failing efforts to stay sober, I sought help from those who were successful at staying sober. I could no longer deny the evidence that I had no clue about how to get sober and live life sucessfully without drinking. I was hopeless, I wanted to stop drinking, but I was unable to. I needed help.

I called up a guy in AA who lived the solution contained in that Big Book. He showed me precisely in that book the actions that were required to have a spiritual awakening that would solve the alcohol problem for good. And then he asked me if I was willing to take those actions with him.

Most profound and life-changing 'Yes' I ever croaked out of my mouth.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I called 14 beers happy hour !!

I thought, I read you tried to scale back but, couldn't on your drinking? You ever just not drink?

A lot of us got into AA cause, we ran out of other options
A lot of us stay because, we like our new lives
Old 03-23-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I'd give a few meetings a try, nothing to lose.. then when/if youb want to get sober and stay that way you'll know what one of the many options are. I don't perrsonally use the AA program in my recovery, but obviously lots of people do and have had very positive experiences.

8-14 drinks a day? Please see a doc, that is miles away from "not that much", I dint think I ever drank that much, until the very end. The amount really means nothing though, but I would imagine that that much drinking per day might make things a bit difficult.

Welcome
Old 03-23-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

I don't think just going to (sitting in on) AA meetings will really help anyone with a serious drinking problem, or somebody who is alcoholic. It's all about what you do when you get there that I think makes a difference and that's the hardest part if you're on the fence or opposed for whatever reason to AA, right? Talking to the other people, allowing the other people to talk to you, identifying with others, finding a sponsor, working the steps...
Old 03-23-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Once again thank you all for your support and insight. One of you asked if I had ever just stopped drinking. The answer to that is no. I have not gone more than 2 days without a drink in a good few years. I think I will see my Doctor"and be honest with him"....Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I think I will see my Doctor"and be honest with him
That is what I did over 3 1/2 years ago, he put me into detox & detox sent me to AA... AA delivered me to a long term SOLUTION to life which has allowed me to not take a single drink or unprescribed drug since Sept. 18, 2006.

Be totally honest with your Dr., it is important.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Once again thank you all for your support and insight. One of you asked if I had ever just stopped drinking. The answer to that is no. I have not gone more than 2 days without a drink in a good few years. I think I will see my Doctor"and be honest with him"....Thanks again.
Muddcatt.

Not to meedlessly alarm you, but the most dangerous time during alcohol withdrawal is 48-72 hours after the last drink. Strokes, seizures, DTs and deaths are not common (only about 10% of heavy drinkers experience life threatening symptoms)......but why take the chance?

As someone else mentioned....a (poor) second choice to consulting a physician is to be certain that you are not alone during this time....that there is someone who can get you to an ER if necessary.

blessings
zbear

Old 03-24-2010, 12:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sid View Post
I went alone to my first meeting just last week. It was a very positive experience. Everyone was very welcoming and supportive. It was a closed meeting and they changed the scheduled topic to do a "newcomers" meeting just for me. I walked out with many numbers and invitiations to call anytime. I've been back.
I will have to go with Sid in regards to my experience as well. Based on your share here be prepared to hear some horror stories as well that might be quite different than your current situation.

My drinking pattern was similar to yours for a while until it got much worse.

Take care & let us know how it goes.

All of the best.

NB

EDIT: It may help you to never want to drink again, well make you think twice about it anyway