SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Finally Making the 1st Post on SR (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/197198-finally-making-1st-post-sr.html)

doda 03-21-2010 06:30 PM

Finally Making the 1st Post on SR

I've finally gained the courage to post on SR. Have been hanging out for several months. Even though you don't know it, I feel like I have many friends!

Here's my story: I'm a 49 year old female alcoholic. Started drinking and smoking at 12. I've been a blackout abuser since my teens. Except for the birth of my son (17+ years ago,) I'd never quit drinking. Didn't even give one night a break. How sad is that? I've been sober since January 1st and couldn't be happier!

I have not attended any support groups, but I certainly would if I felt the need. Started the journey by reading the BB online. Then I picked up Allen Carr's: The Easy Way to Stop Drinking. The book spoke to me. I know I'm new at this, but I do pray for a lifetime commitment to staying sober.

There have been so many posts that I've wanted to reply to over the months, but I just couldn't find the nerve. This is the one that sticks in my mind "Vanity," and I'd like to share: I can finally look at myself in the mirror with lights on. The big, red, clown nose is gone!

Hope to get to know you all better!

Dee74 03-21-2010 06:36 PM

Glad you took the plunge Doda :)
Welcome! :)

D

NellieM 03-21-2010 06:36 PM

Welcome, Doda, and congratulations on two and a half months! That's fantastic. Day 22 for me and I'm working my plan. Ruffling a few feathers at home, but I can live with that. Keep posting!

grateful2b 03-21-2010 06:47 PM

And I am glad you did, too:)
Welcome, Doda, and congratulations on 2 and 1/2 months!

Toronto68 03-21-2010 06:53 PM

Doda, that's fantastic!

Hevyn 03-21-2010 07:00 PM

Welcome doda! That's fantastic - you were able to see the light after all those years. No more being numb & ruining your health. I know what you mean about the red nose - I had so many broken veins (gin blossoms) but they aren't as noticeable now.

You must feel like you're learning to live again - no more being numb. It's great to have you here with us.

Fandy 03-21-2010 07:05 PM

welcome doda!!! i remember starting the physical vanity thread my 2nd day after joining here...i was so thrilled to look in the mirror and look less blowsy in my face.

congrats on your progress...please continue to post and join in the discussions.

CarolD 03-21-2010 07:21 PM

Congratulations on your sober time.....:funjump:

Welcome to our recovery community

coffeenut 03-21-2010 07:23 PM

Welcome! It took me a few months to post...just like it did you. Now, they can't get rid of me. :)

Glad you are here!

Omega10 03-21-2010 08:04 PM

Welcome, Doda!

:grouphug:

Impurrfect 03-21-2010 08:26 PM

Welcome ((Doda))!!

Congratulations on your sober time! I'm glad you decided to join us. I lurked here for quite a while, but my recovery flourished once I joined and actually got to "know" the great people here.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

LovesToTravel 03-21-2010 08:26 PM

Welcome Doda to SR Glad that you decided to join and post. I sometimes write a post and then decide not to actually post it. I still don't chat (did once) Congratulations on your sober time. :c011:

doda 03-21-2010 08:27 PM

Thank you all for the warm welcomes.

Yes, Hevyn, it is pretty amazing that the light FINALLY went off. I have been functional to a point...never problems with the law or with holding a job. It's been "behind closed doors" that I've been what I am. You've all helped me to try to forget and forgive the past and to focus on the future.

The health thing is a whole other issue. Physically, I have never felt so bad in my life. As said, maybe I was numb. Just faced the music and did the blood draw...15 things out-of-wack (Oh my!) Good news is they are related to nicotine, diet, and age and not so much to alcohol. Gonna start eating an apple a day and face the challenge of getting healthy.

CAPTAINZING2000 03-21-2010 08:43 PM

welcome to the site.

Plenty of good support on here for you

HumbleBee 03-21-2010 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by doda (Post 2547816)
Even though you don't know it, I feel like I have many friends!
I know I'm new at this, but I do pray for a lifetime commitment to staying sober.

Welcome Doda! You are among friends - great to meet you through your first post - one of many I hope. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...cons/icon7.gif

As for praying for a lifetime of commitment of sobriety - just for today is a very good thing. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ons/icon12.gif

Congratulations on your sober time. Awesome way to bring in a new year, a new day, a new life...!

intention 03-21-2010 11:20 PM

Welcome, well done on getting sober.

least 03-22-2010 04:28 AM

Congrats on your sober time!:) :welcome to SR! I'm glad you joined the family.

Fandy 03-22-2010 04:37 AM

doda, an apple a day (and a bottle of water with a vitamin if I may suggest) is a great start....small steps turn into miles as we can all see.

Tazman53 03-22-2010 04:38 AM

Welcome, Doda! You mention an apple a day, to that you may want to think about a multi-vitamin & a B complex as well, the B is to help the liver heal. Eat a balanced diet & lots of water too.

I think the best thing you have going for you is the willingness to do what ever it takes to stay sober. You mentioned going to meetings, if you feel as though you are on the verge of drinking go to a meeting first.