Notices

Enablers

Old 03-21-2010, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sid
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 26
Enablers

Probably more of just a rant on my part, but I was just thinking about how many enablers I had to my drinking. How often I was encouraged to drink more and how people would think it funny and joke about the times when I got drunk.

Maybe my situation is different, but I don't recall anyone ever really suggesting to me that I may have a problem or that possibly I should think about getting help for my drinking. Possibly it was a culture thing in that I was surrounded by many others who they themselves probably have drinking problems.

Since coming to the realization that I am an alcoholic I know I need to learn to be assertive in situations were I have to say NO. That isn't something I have done in the past and probably the biggest reason for my drinking at all. I know it will be a big test for me and something I need to get well prepared to handle. It makes me a bit nervous.

Thanks for letting me ramble.
Sid is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Paola, Kansas
Posts: 1
I'm new here and a recovering drug addict (Meth) and agree with the assertiveness we need to have and I'd add in my case preparedness...what I'm, going to do when faced with temptation and opportunity to get high...don'y let myself get blindsided.
leembley is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Member
 
Taking5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: LA - Lower Alabama
Posts: 5,069
Sid,

I don't know if you drank at bars,but I had to change my playground (bars) and playmates (bar friends) to stay sober. 75% of my "friends" at the bar I never see anymore. The other 25% I will still see to play golf, fish or whatever, but not at the bar.

I actually have 2 of my old bar friends that I now see in AA, with several more that probably need it.
Taking5 is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 08:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sid
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 26
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your advice dgillz. That is actually something I had been doing. Unfortunately I made the mistake of going out with some folks who I hadn't been out with in a long time, was encouraged to drink more than I should and wasn't assertive. Bad mistake. I can only blame myself of course. I'll need to keep constantly reminding myself from now on about making the right choices.

Thanks again for the replies
Sid is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sid
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 26
I'll also add that I very much agree with leembley regarding preparedness. That is really the reason for my last bad drinking experience. I wasn't prepared to encounter a situation were my "friends" were drinking heavily and not being responsible. I got caught up in joining them. That can't happen again.
Sid is offline  
Old 03-21-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Maybe my situation is different, but I don't recall anyone ever really suggesting to me that I may have a problem or that possibly I should think about getting help for my drinking. Possibly it was a culture thing in that I was surrounded by many others who they themselves probably have drinking problems.
It's such an illusion that people get caught up in. People feel their drinking is normal and standard because they see everyone around them doing the same thing.
Expo321 is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:17 AM.