Notices

How_will_you_stay_sober_around_this_"holiday"

Old 03-17-2010, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

How_will_you_stay_sober_around_this_"holiday"

I know for me, St Patty's Day was a big drinking/drugging day. Not that I didn't do as much partying or more on different occasions, but this was a big one for me. Maybe the only difference was that my behavior was a bit more tolerated.

I used to live in Richmond, VA and they have multiple celebrations before, during, and after St Patty's Day.

Today, I want to remain sober. So I will pray throughout the day, maybe check out SR a few times, talk a walk if possible. Then after work, I'll go to a meeting, come home and work out, then call my sponsor.

Heck, that sounds an awful lot like most of my days Hmmmm...

What are you going to do to stay sober today?
Old 03-17-2010, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

this is a tough one for me, too. on top of hearing about the festivities going on all over the place, i'm feeling really lonely for some reason i wish there was something to do that didn't have alcohol involved. i'm sure i'll be on here a lot today... and lots of praying.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi you two up there......

Just try to let it go, if you can. It's just another day. If you want to read about what St. Patrick's Day is about, it's not really about getting loaded. Here's a little excerpt.

Little is known of Patrick's early life, though it is known that he was born in Roman Britain in the fifth century, into a wealthy Romano-British family. His father and grandfather were deacons in the Church. At the age of sixteen, he was kidnapped by Irish raiders and taken captive to Ireland as a slave.[1] It is believed he was held somewhere on the west coast of Ireland, possibly Mayo, but the exact location is unknown. According to his Confession, he was told by God in a dream to flee from captivity to the coast, where he would board a ship and return to Britain. Upon returning, he quickly joined the Church in Auxerre in Gaul and studied to be a priest.

In 432, he again says that he was called back to Ireland, though as a bishop, to save the Irish, and indeed he was successful at this, focusing on converting royalty and aristocracy as well as the poor. Irish folklore tells that one of his teaching methods included using the shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit) to the Irish people. After nearly thirty years of teaching and spreading God's Word he died on 17 March, 461 AD, and was buried at Downpatrick, so tradition says. Although there were other more successful missions to Ireland from Rome, Patrick endured as the principal champion of Irish Christianity and is held in esteem in the Irish Church.
It's really about honoring a religious man who lead others to spiritual freedom. So I don't get the whole "drinking" thing anyway.

I know it's all over the place, however (and I know this is me), but I never got why people considered this a day to get sloshed.

I hope that helps a little bit.

Other than that, there's nothing that's going to get you to pick up other than you today, whether it's a holiday or just the fact it's Wednesday. JMO.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Same thing i do every other day. Pray, meditate, go to a meeting, talk to friends in recovery, exercise, do some step work, stay focused on the present moment, and practice gratitude.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Thanks for bringing St Paddy's Day up Kjell. I wanted to rant about this for awhile.

I really HATE it when the liquor industry hijacks holidays to turn them into big a booze fest. New Year's, St Patricks, Cinco De Mayo. Just focus on the real reason for the holiday, no reason to associate it with booze!

Today, I will contemplate St Patrick as the patron saint of Ireland, and will have a nice cup of tea for the occasion, thank you.

Ok, jumping off my soapbox.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I like to watch the parade highlights, I'm at work, wearing a Green sweater (that previously I could not wear, but I have now lost weight from NOT drinking)...drinking Green Tea!

I very rarely drank beer..and then it has to be 95 degrees outside...I rec'd a compliment today about how differently i am looking and acting from a fellow co-worker...he commented on how much more ENERGY I am displaying and how much more I am smiling and obviously happier...

I treasure that remark and it gives me incentive to turn my 30 days sober into a longer period...Who KNEW?????
Old 03-17-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well i'm not Irish so it's not a day i really have ever celebrated other than when i would be in a bar and someone would bring it up and i'd try and get into the spirit of it even though i couldn't of cared less...never got the special days stuff i drank, did what i wanted and 'celebrated' most days?!

I'll be doing the same to keep sober as i did yesterday which it sounds like you are doing too!

Keep going Kjell, it does get a lot easier and things like this won't even cross your mind anymore, you just won't be that interested...unless you are Irish and then maybe eat green pad thai curry for tea hehe:-)
Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Drink diet coke.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, it is irritating, isn't it? In my experience, St. Patty's day is nothing but a huge drinking fest in the US and sadly, it turned into a day that is eternally coupled to drinking thanks to the liquor industry.

My son just reminded me it is St. Patty's day. I had completely forgotten.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sev
Friend of Bill W.

I'm happy to say that today is just another day in my book. I actually totally forgot about what day it is So, I'll celebrate like I do everyother day...by hangin out with a group of my closest friends, and sharing my experience, strength and hope. Hang in there if you're struggling. Remember...this is just another day.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I'm not going to drink today. I always stay sober that way

Serious though, there's always going to a birthday, a holiday, a wedding, a funeral etc. I didn't need any special occasion to get drunk and stupid.

If, you can't be around certain people with out drinking, sever all ties with them.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm wearing green and I am going to a meeting tonight.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm slathered in green (gotta represent!! I'm half Irish), but am indifferent about it being a drinking holiday. Like Captainzing said, I never needed an excuse to get trashed so this is a day like any other. Once I get home from work, I'm going to make shepards pie for dinner and that will be the extent of my St. Patrick's Day celebration
Old 03-17-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was in the doctor's office today...and I have a green sweater on....(3/4 Irish background) and when I was leaving, someone asked if I were Irish, and I told them of my heritage. And they immediately said, "Have fun, but don't drink too much!". I just smiled to myself as I left, because I am not drinking anything today. I too did not have to have a holiday as a reason to drink. And today is another day that I had decided to just not drink. Happy St Pat's to everyone. Green Tea and all.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Definitely a huge excuse to drink in our town - complete with parade & green beer in all the bars. I guess it's become a day to show your Irish pride more than remembering the religious significance, as Veg pointed out. I was resentful when days like this came along, but that did fade as I grew to love my new, sober life more than the numbness.

Good thread, Kjell - thanks.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't go out - I know from past experience there's a lot of revelry round here...I have no interest in being anyway near that.

It was a quiet day

D
Old 03-17-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by vegibean View Post
If you want to read about what St. Patrick's Day is about, it's not really about getting loaded.

It's really about honoring a religious man who lead others to spiritual freedom.
Amen. Although I'll admit that I used to use it as an excuse to drink, and there's not a drop of Irish blood in me.

I've got corned beef in the crockpot, looking forward to having dinner with my family and sharing life and love together. That's really all that matters anymore.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Have drank literally gallons of stout on this day over the years. A quarter Irish (County Down) and used that an excuse to pound Guinness and whiskey year-round. When I quit drinking, I worried that St. Patrick's Day would be a big hurdle for me.

Now, truth be told, hadn't really thought about it today until my random stop here. Good sign, I guess. No stress or anything. No plans to do anything but enjoy great weather with my family out-of-doors this evening. If we had friends urging us to head out or host a party, I'd need a plan of action.

Almost ashamed I didn't even wear green today. Now that I'm not drinking, I don't even think about this holiday, and that's a bloody shame, because St. Pat was a fine fellow. There's a learning in there somewhere.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Heathen

As much as I drank, I never considered any holidays to be of particular reason to drink more than usual.. so I'll do what I do every day and just not drink

Be safe out there all!
Old 03-17-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I never gave too much thought to this day when I was drinking. It was just a good excuse to wear a funny hat and not have some ridiculous story about it "being leftover from last year's St Pat's Day... hahaha, it IS St. Pat's Day!"

Like many here, I actually forgot today was the day until work was wrapping up. As I was putting away my things, I looked outside the window to see what all the commotion was. Then I remembered this very sobering fact: until recently, I'd be down there at the pub, standing outside in the cold, cold beer in hand (how fitting), yammering out of the side of my face, not making any sense, not understanding anyone, and just generally wasting my time.

I admit, I was kind of staring out the window. I was totally taken by surprise by the fact that I had no urge to run downstairs, shout 'foo-yeahhh!!!' at the top of my lungs, and bear hug the dudes in a 'bro-mancing' kind of way. As I stood there staring out the window, everyone began to look kind of like dolls. They looked like chalky, wooden dolls, perhaps a wide assortment of unwinding automata that just kept turning over and over even though the spring had long since lost any tension. Maybe they're a ventriloquists' puppet of some variety. But the ventriloquist himself has long moved out, and the dolls themselves have moved in. Just yammering, shouting, bragging, boasting, moaning, the constant spilling of spirits, the endless squandering of savings, and ever falls the hangover the next morning...

How will I stay sober this St. Patrick's Day? By being thankful that I don't have to do that anymore. I have taken control of the ship. No matter how much fun I think I might have tonight, I know tomorrow morning when I wake up hangover free I will be a very happy man. And the fact that for the last 80 days or so I have woken up totally sober makes this feel like a dream I keep waking up INTO. Not giving that up so easily!!

Kjell, GREAT topic today. And GREAT JOB on your sobriety! Happy Saint Patrick's Day everyone. This is a new holiday for me. It's my first... SOBER HOLIDAY! Kjell, really, sober holiday... you cad! Turning that drinking holiday all kinds of upside down, stealing it back... amazing stuff man! Great idea!! Wink wink.