Notices

12_step_question

Old 03-17-2010, 04:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12_step_question

Am I able to work the 12 step programme on SR or is it just complementary to physically going to meetings?
I've been sober for almost 6 months (this time around ) and I realize I'm so much in need of serenity to continue, but and please nobody be offended, I'm simply unable to attend meetings for very private reasons. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Saphie in the early days of AA there were people that did take the 12 steps without the guidance of a sponsor and stayed sober, many of those who did so used snail mail to do it though.

I could have never done the steps without the guidance of a sponsor, you see in early sobriety I was still looking for "outs", the easier way, a short cut, etc.

The one thing I had going in my favor was a full realization that I did not have a clue how to stay sober long or short term & I sure did not have a clue how to take the 12 steps, especially alone. Left to my own devices I know that one day I would drink again, I needed guidance.

I had to admit that I needed the experience, strength, & hope of another man who had not only taken the steps, but also had experience in applying those steps in his daily life.

Tossing working with a sponsor to take the steps aside, read step 5, this is the real beginnning of recovery, this is the one that begins to truly set us free of many things, fear, guilt & shame to name a few.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
One can not do a step 5 alone, most folks in AA do step 5 with thier sponsor which is someone they trust with thier lifes & thier secrets as well, however there are members of the clergy that are used by some people doing thier 5th step, these are members of the clergy usually who have experience in taking some ones 5th step or they may be recovering alcoholics as well.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Saphie,

I don't see why not. You'd have to be diligent though. :-) Try on on-line sponsor. Just browse threads and see if there's someone who you might connect with - Send a PM. Nothing to lose.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Saphie View Post
Am I able to work the 12 step programme on SR or is it just complementary to physically going to meetings?
I've been sober for almost 6 months (this time around ) and I realize I'm so much in need of serenity to continue, but and please nobody be offended, I'm simply unable to attend meetings for very private reasons. Thanks.
Hi Saphie

A suggestion - Get yourself an AA Big Book off amazon. Search for the XA Speakers website. Then search for Joe and Charlie Big Book study.

The study is quite a few hours long. You will need time, your book, highlighter pen, pencil for making notes.

A lot of AAs do this study before working the steps. See how you feel afterwards about the program and what you feel you should do next.

Good luck. This program is amazing for living a happy, joyous and free life.