Notices

Wake up call

Old 03-15-2010, 02:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wake up call

One of my best friends has been dealing with his Mother's dementia. I helped him move her into a long term care facility this weekend and saw her for the first time in 5 years. I always remembered her as a bubbly, outgoing, boisterous women who liked to party. Seeing her now (she's only 60) unable to recognizie her grandkids, not remembering where she was etc. etc was a sad, sad shock.

Later he told me they diagnosed her with Alcohol Dementia. She and her husband were hard drinkers but seemed to function ok. Both had jobs, both retired early (which apparently caused even more drinking). Her husband died suddenly last year at 62 from heart and hypertention. She's practically a vegetable at 60. That scares the hell out of me.

I'm thinking that as part of our recovery programs we should all be required to visit a rehab clinic or Alzheimers ward. "There but the grace of God ..."

2 weeks sober and counting!
Old 03-15-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm thinking that as part of our recovery programs we should all be required to visit a rehab clinic or Alzheimers ward. "There but the grace of God ..."

I agree.

I may someday end up with dementia, but it won't be alcohol-induced!
Old 03-15-2010, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Yes, that is the "wet brain" they refer to in the Big Book. I have a friend who's 63 now, got sober three years ago. Recently, he's been declining. Becoming more and more forgetfull. Hopefully, he stopped in time.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Emmy

I think dementia, no matter what the cause, is a terrible thing to deal with - for the sufferer and the family alike.

Prayers for your friend and his family - and congratulations to you on your sober time

D
Old 03-15-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emmy69 View Post
One of my best friends has been dealing with his Mother's dementia. I helped him move her into a long term care facility this weekend and saw her for the first time in 5 years. I always remembered her as a bubbly, outgoing, boisterous women who liked to party. Seeing her now (she's only 60) unable to recognizie her grandkids, not remembering where she was etc. etc was a sad, sad shock.

Later he told me they diagnosed her with Alcohol Dementia. She and her husband were hard drinkers but seemed to function ok. Both had jobs, both retired early (which apparently caused even more drinking). Her husband died suddenly last year at 62 from heart and hypertention. She's practically a vegetable at 60. That scares the hell out of me.

2 weeks sober and counting!
I went through rehab,....lived in two dry houses,.......
years later I'm still clean and sober and I work in a long term care facility.
We have a resident who by now I think is 51 toasted his mind on some home made stuff,...
to this day he still thinks he needs to go to the union hall every Friday for some meeting.
Alcoholism is serious,.............I take nothing for granted.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2 weeks, Emmy!

I saw the most unreal things in early recovery (as you are) and I truly believe they're not by accident - they're real life lessons in seeing where alcoholism can take us - nobody is immune.

I may end up with dementia - God willing and one day at a time, unless I continue to live in recovery, I could be on my way to where your friend's mom is. I can't take anything for granted.

Blessings to your friend and his mom - and to you too.

Hbee
Old 03-15-2010, 09:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think there are things you can control and things you cannot that happen to people.It is all sad . Thats why i pray and remember every one espeacally the people who are suffering in one way or another. GOD BLESS
Old 03-15-2010, 09:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Emmy, congrats on your two weeks, that is an awesome achievement. There is tons of great support here on SR. Im sorry to hear about your friends mom, it is so tough to see anyone go through anything like that. Hang in there
Old 03-15-2010, 10:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your best friend!

A friend's Dad get wet brain and keep drinking until he could no longer recognise his own son and then die...sucks!

No consequence was ever enough for me to stop drinking by myself, real or potential...i needed help:-)
Old 03-16-2010, 05:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I remember seeing an old guy with wet brain come in when I was in rehab. I thought to myself, "Crap, that's my future. That's me if I don't quit drinking."

As horrifying as that vision was, it did not keep me sober. Neither did a number of familial, social, and legal debacles. For me, the idea of a wake up call that would one day be sufficient to convince me not to drink, was a delusion. A delusion that had to be smashed before I could recover.