SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   i suck at this (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/196741-i-suck.html)

dedubya 03-14-2010 05:24 AM

i suck at this

know what its doing- going to meetings. oh well - try again

intention 03-14-2010 05:33 AM

Hi,

Yes - meetings, get that sponsor you talked about and ask them to show you how to recover from alcoholism and get out of that revolving door you are in.

Good luck, Dub. Great to see you back posting this morning :)

dedubya 03-14-2010 05:36 AM

thanks

least 03-14-2010 05:42 AM

Keep trying, don't give up, go to meetings and get a sponsor then start the steps. Just don't give up. You are stronger than the drink, but your addict brain doesn't know that.

I too relapsed too many times to remember, but I've now got over ninety days sober. If I can do it, so can you!:)

Fandy 03-14-2010 05:56 AM

Hi dub;

go back and read some of your postings from last week when your resolve was so strong and you felt well...it may strengthen your conviction....if I can do this so can you!

augustwest 03-14-2010 08:09 AM

Keep coming back! At first, for many(myself included) all you can do is just show up and somehow not use for 24 hours. But keep coming back. You can live your way into new thinking but you have to put one foot in front of the other and show up. All the best to you my friend.

WakeUp 03-14-2010 08:29 AM

Instead of one day at a time, some need to think one hour at a time. Even 15 minutes at a time. I will not drink for the next 15 minutes, ect.

augustwest 03-14-2010 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by WakeUp (Post 2541291)
Instead of one day at a time, some need to think one hour at a time. Even 15 minutes at a time. I will not drink for the next 15 minutes, ect.

One breath at a time

Spawn 03-14-2010 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by dedubya (Post 2541169)
know what its doing- going to meetings. oh well - try again

" I suck at this " wrong attitude.

My warning sign is attitude,...if I start to think negative then my recovery runs a risk of running negative.
I know it's easier said then done,....practice saying to yourself " I matter and I deserve to be happy "
I don't think you need to be told the negative that comes from picking up but the guilt thing you've got to let go,....
let your higher power help,...just ask.
you matter!!! :You_Rock_

Mark75 03-14-2010 09:44 AM

Hey dubs... :)

It's not going to meetings that will get you sober and happy. It's willingness.... which you are currently trying to find... and.... it is the program of AA, not meetings.

Meetings are where you hear how others have experienced success in the 12 steps, how others struggle with the 12 steps and how they find help and support in the 12 steps. As you find peace and serenity, then you can help others by sharing your own success and struggles...

You may find the willingness you need and the program of AA at meetings, but you may not.

You know all that though.

Mark

Omega10 03-14-2010 09:58 AM

Dedubya, I think if anyone has the will to stop drinking, it is definitely you! :)

Now, its just a matter of finding the way. Keep up the fight, you will beat this, and we're all here supporting you.

Stay strong, peace, health, and happiness to you!
:grouphug:

Lenina 03-14-2010 10:17 AM

(((dubs))))

The key is not giving up! If it were easy, SR wouldn't exist! AA or the other Recovery methods wouldn't exist. It's not necessarily a failure on your part! For me, it was finally finding that philosophical shift.

I have to be sober today. Just today. I treat my addiction every day. Does that make sense? It isn't a grand gesture, it's the little things. Like reading my books, talking to others here on SR and in real life.

As time goes by, each day is a little easier for me as I recognize the thinking, the actions that help me stay sober for today. It's working at recovery!

Honey, I know you can do this. Don't give up, keep coming back. Let go of what doesn't work and hold on to what does.

We are here for you!

Much love,

Lenina

Hevyn 03-14-2010 11:10 AM

Hi dub - I know you can do this. Your desire to be free of it will someday outweigh your desire to drink. It doesn't seem like it's fun anymore for you, and hasn't been for awhile. It's just an old habit that you're afraid of letting go of. I was the same way, but kept going until I almost lost my life. Try again, dub. We are here with you.

fragrantrose 03-14-2010 01:35 PM

Dear Dub,
please dont give up!!!!!
Day 12 for me and starting to feel a little better, Sobriety is now NO 1 for me as dont want to be in that horrible land of LIMBO etc, etc, I NOW WILL GO TO ANY LENGTHS TO STAY SOBER!!!!!!!

fragrantrose 03-14-2010 01:46 PM

thankyou spawn!
my new affirmation is -

"I matter,and deserve to be happy joyous and free!"

Will never be that if alcohol still in our lives!

Dee74 03-14-2010 02:05 PM

Dub
Lenina's bang on - the key really is not giving up, man.
I tried for years - eventually I got it through my thick skull what I needed to do.

You will too - as long as you keep really trying.

You can never lose if you never give in, Dub :)

D

dedubya 03-14-2010 03:37 PM

thanks my friends
my mind isnt cooperating (is that a word?) with 'common sense' right now, what a complicated mind I have and a more complicated disease
Have Peace and Love
Dub

Mark75 03-14-2010 03:45 PM

It's not complicated unless we make it that way. Really. If you want to stop drinking, for good and all, stop trying to figure everything out. One day at a time, right? :). More will be revealed, in God's time, not yours. Let go... Surrender... Life is good, let yourself see and believe that.

Mark

mxchaos 03-14-2010 04:02 PM

keep going!!

dedubya 03-14-2010 04:17 PM

well I am having milk and oreos now- not drinking. I feel vulnerable though... Going to bed really early and just focusing on today.
Dub