Notices

i was just in Whistler for the Olympics, i got drunk

Old 03-11-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy i was just in Whistler for the Olympics, i got drunk

almost every night for 3 weeks. there was a party every night.

it hit me hard. im not in Whsitler anymore but still have gotten drunk a couple times since.

i don't know how to quit drinking, it seems impossible.

please help me.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nothing is impossible.
You can do this if you want to be sober more, than you want to continue to drink.
Lot's of resourses out there. AA meeting are free and available multiply times daily.
Great support there too, people just like you, so you will never feel alone.
Start today and just focus on today, that you will not drink. Don't think about the long haul, just focus on today. You can do this.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can do this if you want to be sober more, than you want to continue to drink.
I completely agree. Whether you use AA or another program, counseling, just SR, or a mix of many methods, you will only stay sober when staying sober is more important than drinking. You CAN do this. Stop drinking today. Make tomorrow your day One.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there, you can do this.

Remember that often cravings to self medicate are tied to unmet needs. It might be helpful to think about if there is something you feel like you really need and aren't getting.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please take a look around our boards and see if you find some inspiration to stop drinking.

Know that you can do this!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
On my path.

(((BCkid)))

I am sorry that things are so difficult right now. I agree with what the others have said...

...you have to want to be sober more that you want to be drunk
...keep coming here or seek out others who share your struggle
...know that you have a purpose that is bigger than getting drunk
...forgive yourself and others, again and again
...if all of that fails, take a nap :-) works for me

I look forward to seeing you around here.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheBCKid View Post
almost every night for 3 weeks. there was a party every night.

it hit me hard. im not in Whsitler anymore but still have gotten drunk a couple times since.

i don't know how to quit drinking, it seems impossible.

please help me.

Just take it one day at a time,..........."today, God helping, I won't drink"
Old 03-11-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We've all been there, BCKid. Maybe avoiding temptation like that for awhile is best - very hard to resist partying at the olympics, I'm sure. (Hope you have some good memories of it....)

You can begin again and this time it will stick. You seem to really want it, and you can have it. I drank for over 25 yrs. and after finding SR I am now sober over 2 yrs. I never thought it could happen to me, but having others to relate to and share with took the sting out of quitting. I knew they'd all been there before and had made it out of hell, and I could too. You are not alone - we are here to listen and help.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Do some research, take the time and put sobriety #1 is a good place to start. don't white knuckle it talk to everyone you can. Hot line's meetings.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

it was only 40 or so days ago that I honestly thought it was impossible for me to quit drinking also. But here I am sober and ready for bed and really not missing it very much at all. I wish I had the courage to try a lot sooner. Give it a shot, it really is possible.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mcribb View Post
Do some research, take the time and put sobriety #1 is a good place to start. don't white knuckle it talk to everyone you can. Hot line's meetings.
This is very true for me because if I don't put my recovery first everything else will fall apart.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Are you going to meetings???

Hi BC. Thats too bad. But please do remember that there is support for you out there. Get to an AA meeting, we have all been in different stages of recovery and one of the greatest things about this place and meetings, is that you are WELCOME back anytime. Saying a prayer for you...XO, W.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

well, you just set down the drinking cup and pick yourself back up. don't be hard on yourself... i think we've all been there!! i had to time my sobriety "just so"... i knew that if i tried to get sober before the holidays i'd never make it... i had to do it when i knew that i could just coccoon myself in for a few months and be around alcohol as little as possible. its not easy. and i can totally relate to your being in an atmosphere like that, and how incredibly tough it would have been for ANYONE to stay sober!!
best wishes :ghug3

gg
Old 03-13-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Remember, you do it yourself... We are here to help. Above posts
are great. What do you think you need to make it happen? Let us know...
Old 03-13-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 55438 View Post
(((BCkid)))

I am sorry that things are so difficult right now. I agree with what the others have said...

...you have to want to be sober more that you want to be drunk
...keep coming here or seek out others who share your struggle
...know that you have a purpose that is bigger than getting drunk
...forgive yourself and others, again and again
...if all of that fails, take a nap :-) works for meI look forward to seeing you around here.

i love naps!! works for me, too!!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi BCKid, (((((Hugh Hugs)))))

I'm sorry its difficult for you right now BC. I'm in Alberta...how bout ya'll join us at the Friends and Family Meeting on SR tonight? C'mon on to the Chat Room/Meeting Room at 9:00 pm EST time it's seven o'clock for me and I think your an hour behind me in BC? I can never get that right?! Cuz I'm a Big DINGUS! LOL Heh...sure would LOVE to see you at the Chat Meeting! They ROCK friend and so does Soberity so give it some thought and hope to see you there!

Love Pancake xo *singing* for been a Friend!
Old 03-13-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was just like you for a long time. UNTIL, I finally quit BS'ing myself and God and really meant it when I prayed to him asking him to help me stay sober. If you absolutely DO NOT think about "forever" and seriously just decide to stay sober tomorrow you can have as much sobriety as anyone on this board tomorrow. Most alocholics work a 24 hour program and staying on it really is critical early in the process. Later, you will find the 24 hours easier but right now you just need to think about everything you need to do to stay sober tonight/tomorrow. To be honest, if you aren't too bad, the withdrawals aren't that bad after day two(you should talk to your DR though if you drink everyday). If you go to AA and tell them what you want to do and ask for help you will get it. I know this seems so frustrating and impossible but if you want it, you will get it. You may have heard to turn your will over to a HP and that's true, but you have to have skin in the game too. You must fight for your sobriety by not taking a drink. AND, stay away from the people, places and things that will trigger you to drink right now. If you do these things you have a great chance! Good luck!