Notices

My problem with sobriety

Old 03-12-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

With time, you really will enjoy things more without drinking. It's been 10 months (and a day) of sobriety for me, and I understand what you're going through. It's an association, like anything. I never smoked but I hear people trying to quit say, "I don't know to do with my hands." How do we nonsmokers cope with unoccupied hands! Booze is same way. For years, I'd sit down and watch a movie with a three or four or five beers, and at first it felt strange and uncomfortable not to do that. Now, I have a Coke, water, or nothing, and you know what? It's no big deal! I remember details of movies better and hear and enjoy music more. The time I wasted for years on drinking, I'm investing into my family and my own guitar playing.
You hear repeatedly to give it time, but it's true. I really don't even remember physically what it felt like to be intoxicated. I don't miss it, but I'm smart enough to know that one sip of beer would be a painful, toxic, potentially lethal reminder for this alcoholic.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by AceDace View Post
I'm creating this thread because I am wondering whether anyone has experienced this. I find it hard to enjoy or get into stuff usually I love when not drinking. For example music and films. I basically have no interest when sober>>>? Is this just a prolonged hangover I just have to get over.

I'm sorry I can't describe it better....
You described exactly how I felt when I was stuck in a relapse cycle. I suffered when I drank and I felt something was missing in my life when I did not drink.

It was not until I learned how to be comfortable in my own skin when not drinking that I broke through the 90 day barrier. What makes me fell good about my recovery is the peace of mind, joy and sense of purpose that seems to come from living a spiritual life.

Abstinence is not drinking and feeling bad about it.

Recovery is not drinking and felling good about it.

That is why my signature reads >>>>
Old 03-12-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mcribb View Post
Do you want to quit? How far are you willing to go to quit? Are you willing to give it up and not enjoy some things for awhile? There was alot of stuff I didn't have fun at without alcohol, but I want to quit. I am tired of feeling horrible. So big whoop I didn't have as much fun as I could somewhere. Slowly learning to get over the awkwardness of not drinking I could enjoy things again. Did you enjoy movies, music, video games before alcohol? you can enjoy them again. It takes work and TIME.
you don't have to do alone,......."meetings"
Old 03-12-2010, 07:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Have you tried something else instead of alcohol?
pop,......coffee,........tea?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Resident grateful guy!

The big one for me was music. It was my biggest escape. I would turn it up and fantasize about what life would be like if things were better. It seems like it's time for you to try some new hobbies.