SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 10 - First time quitting (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/196498-day-10-first-time-quitting.html)

repent 03-10-2010 12:56 PM

Day 10 - First time quitting

When I left detox I was given a list of meetings and local resources. To tell you the truth, I was freaked out and very nervous to attend. Right before I left, a worker told me there were a lot of online support resources to aid in recovery - this was the best advice I could ever receive. I have read many similar stories like mine, and they have given the courage continue living in sobriety.

The physical withdrawal is over and done with. Right now I feel like most of my problems are psychological. I found it very hard to get up this morning because it takes so much time for me to fall asleep. Nights are the worst for my anxiety since that is when I started drinking (after work, rough day-everyday). I have had a few instances where I thought "one beer" would be okay, but quickly distracted my thoughts from it.

It seems like it's going to be a long road, but I know today I will not drink. I'm hopeful, and taking it one day at a time.

Thanks again for this forum.

EllaBella 03-10-2010 12:59 PM

Congrats Repent, I feel you about night anxiety and not being able to fall asleep. I can lay in bed for 2-3 hours before I finally close my eyes. But it does get better, slowly... Keep strong!

zandre 03-10-2010 01:01 PM

Congrats Repent! Keep up the good work. I'm pretty well right there with you. Day 17 myself.

Horselover 03-10-2010 03:22 PM

Welcome to SR!! Glad you found this site. There are so many supportive, non-judgmental people here. You will get lots and lots of help. It definitely has helped me to remain sober.

CarolD 03-10-2010 03:51 PM

Welcome to our recovery community....:wave:

Good to know your here and planning for a
healthier sober future....Congratulations!
:yup:

Spawn 03-10-2010 04:40 PM

:welcome

tyler 03-10-2010 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by repent (Post 2538227)
I found it very hard to get up this morning because it takes so much time for me to fall asleep. Nights are the worst for my anxiety since that is when I started drinking (after work, rough day-everyday). I have had a few instances where I thought "one beer" would be okay, but quickly distracted my thoughts from it.

There is a thread I started over in the Secular forum about this very topic. I felt that this was something that was particular to me, but as it turns out many of us have sleep issues due to anxiety that we tried to "address" with drugs and alcohol. There are often other issues and reasons for our drinking and using, but anxiety seems to be a pretty big one around here.

I will say, for me at least, it has gotten better. When I first quit (pot was my DOC) I would lie awake for hours and hours before falling into a fitful sleep. It's been about 10 months clean for me and I find that while sleep still doesn't come easily to me, it is much better than it was. I can deal with some sleep issues given what I have gained by quitting my drug habbit. Life has gotten so much better over the last 10 months. It's almost like I don't even know the person I was then, and for that matter, I don't really want to know him, because he wasn't such a good person.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that there are many, many others out there going through what you are going through, and it does get better. Welcome to SR, it's been my primary support for many years. That said, I should point out that I've been posting here for over 8 years, but am only clean 10 months, so you might want to give some thought to some of the various "in person" support groups available out there. Nuff said. Take care.

Fandy 03-10-2010 04:58 PM

welcome repent...this is my first time quitting for real too....I'm on Day #23...my sleeping started to get more regular around Day 10-14...now i am sleeping between 6-7 hours every night...I use Valarian supplement and chamomile tea...i've had insomnia forever and no longer just lay there trying to sleep i doze right off and sleep almost through the whole night, if i wake up i am able to get back asleep.

congrats on your first round of double-digits...hope my info. helps.

I've used SR to help me keep my resolve,the support and guidance here has helped me so much....

Fandy 03-10-2010 04:59 PM

welcome repent...this is my first time quitting for real too....I'm on Day #23...my sleeping started to get more regular around Day 10-14...now i am sleeping between 6-7 hours every night...I use Valarian supplement and chamomile tea...i've had insomnia forever and no longer just lay there trying to sleep i doze right off and sleep almost through the whole night, if i wake up i am able to get back asleep.

congrats on your first round of double-digits...hope my info. helps.

I've used SR to help me keep my resolve,the support and guidance here has helped me so much....

repent 03-10-2010 06:27 PM

Thanks Tyler. I'm strongly considering attending an in-person meeting. I was never a good sleeper to begin with, so any improvment from now I will be happy with :) Thanks again for your insight.

Fandy, I hope my sleeping habits get that way too :) Thanks for the support.

Thanks for all the welcomes!