SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Newbie alert! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/196339-newbie-alert.html)

chanel1125 03-08-2010 01:42 PM

Newbie alert!

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself and wanted to ask for support and offer support to anyone who needs it.

I'm young, 22 years old. Ive Been having problems with my drinking for about 2 or 3 years? Not exactly sure because I didnt notice the problem until about a year and a half ago. Had many people telling me they thought I had a drinking problem just didn't listen because I figured hey im young im just partying. Im definantly a closet drinker. I try to fool myself that people don't know but it's pretty obvious.. I just had a short 3 day hardcore drinking binge was sober maybe a few days before but havn't had a drink today or yesterday. Now I'm having some wicked withdrawl action.
I just need some support from other people going through similar times.

I've been to a few AA meetings here in my city but felt guilty because i was so nervous about them I was drunk each time I went so i stopped going and calling the people on the list.

Anyways, it was difficult for me to start with the meetings in person so i thought possibly this would be a good place to start looking for support.

I look forward to meeting some of you guys :c031:

Impurrfect 03-08-2010 02:02 PM

Welcome to SR!!

This is a great place for support, and you're very wise to be doing something while you're still young.

More will be along, shortly to welcome you!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

Anna 03-08-2010 02:02 PM

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us and there is lots of support here.

I also was a closet drinker and drank at home, alone. Most of us don't know when we cross the line from alcohol abuser to alcoholic. But, I do believe that once we cross the line, we can never go back.

chanel1125 03-08-2010 02:13 PM

Thanks so much to both of you!!

Anna, I believe once that line has been crossed it will never be the same.
I have absolutly crossed the line and drinking will never be a leisurly pleasure for me. I can go out with people and have a few. but once im back home in my comfort zone alone. some how a large bottle ends up in my possesion.

does anyone else get that? where you barely even remember purchasing the alcohol or where u got the money for it?

Kerbcrawler 03-08-2010 02:44 PM

Most definetly..you always manage to scrape enough together for a bottle..Afterall it takes over and like becomes your life support system..And the compulsions and crazy lengths it can have you go to..For that must have Hit...Is scary. and of course in order to obtain, and use, we can risk allsorts DUI,Loss of job, Health, Family, its Frightening :scared: Welcome.

chanel1125 03-08-2010 03:01 PM

Definantly frightening!

thanks for the welcome kerbcrawler!!

HumbleBee 03-08-2010 05:42 PM

Welcome Chanel ~

Raising my hand to the binge pattern too - so many times I couldn't wait to leave the social party so that I could go home and drink in peace alone, away from scutiny, no fear of people making judgements - just me and my best friend, the bottle (at the end it was vodka).

Only for the weekends to turn into days, days turn into weeks - some might say 'Oh, that never happened to me.' Give it time, anything that hasn't already happened is just a "Yet" in the making.

My so called friend turned into my biggest nightmare and enemy. It didn't want to comfort me - it wanted me dead.

I went to AA meetings under the influence too - feeling like I didn't belong. Nobody said or did anything to make me feel that way - it was just the beginning of me losing myself completely to the booze.

We all reach a point when enough truly is enough. Sounds like you're reaching yours. Good for you for recognizing that at a young age.

Hang around SR - there's awesome support here - I did AA in the beginning - it was helpful to have like-minded people to support me face-to-face. I also had a counselor licensed in alcoholism who saved my life. Both of those gave me a strong foundation to build a solid recovery program on.

Look around the different forums here and continue to post and share. All the best to you, Chanel.

Hbee

chanel1125 03-08-2010 06:57 PM

Thats good to hear(well that you can relate if you know what I mean)

Thanks so much humblebee, I plan to stick around this site it seems so supportive I didn't really know there was online support for substance abuse I thought there was only AA and phone numbers to call you know? But I suppose I never really looked very hard for recovery/support sites.

I appreciate the words and the warm welcome. :tyou

grateful2b 03-20-2010 07:59 AM

Hi Chanel, and welcome!
My daughter(26) is a recovered binge drinker(11 yrs), and a big part of her denial was that she wasn't an alcoholic, she was young an just partyin' and everyone else was doing it.....she now has 8 months....

I am glad you are here:) you will find lots of experience, strength and hope...hugs

ANGELINA243 03-20-2010 08:11 AM

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here. This is a great place for support. :)

Charlotte2276 03-20-2010 09:53 AM

I just start on here last night. Everyone is very helpful. I'm on my 5th day too, so we can go through this together.

CarolD 03-20-2010 01:21 PM

Welcome....glad you are here with us....:c011:

Dee74 03-20-2010 01:42 PM

Welcome to SR Chanel :)

D

least 03-20-2010 03:01 PM

Welcome to SR! :) If your withdrawal gets too bad please get medical help immediately. The worst of it is usually over in a few days but it does take a while before you feel 'normal' again. Drink a lot of water and juice, eat healthy food, take vitamins (especially B vits), and rest as much as possible.

I'm glad you found us and joined the family!:scoregood

NEOMARXIST 03-20-2010 03:12 PM

Hi chanel. I got sober at 23. 24 now and have 8+ months so still a 'newbie'. Anyone only really has a daily reprieve anyway.

Accepting that you're an alcoholic and it's the first drink that does all the damage is the key. Everything else has to stem from that imo.

Peace and love