SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Five little words (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/196301-five-little-words.html)

FBL 03-08-2010 04:18 AM

Five little words

I remember the feeling of dread that overwhelmed me on June 22, 2009, when the doctor told me I was "probably" an alcoholic. Deep down I knew he was right, but I never wanted to admit it to myself. It was the hardest thing in the world to think that I could NEVER have another beer again. For almost 30 years that beer was my crutch, my escape, my best friend when nobody else was there for me. How could I possibly abandon the one constant in my life since I was 14 years old???

Five words kept ringing through my head...five words that would turn my life around...five words that would help me deal with life with a sober mind and a clear conscience.

Today is the 260th straight "one day at a time". I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but if I start it with just five little words ("I will not drink today"), I know I can face any problem that may arise.

Ceres 03-08-2010 04:27 AM

"my best friend when nobody else was there for me. How could I possibly abandon the one constant in my life since I was 14 years old???"

:yo: That was me! I'm so grateful that I never have to feel that way again.

Tazman53 03-08-2010 04:36 AM

Funny how I felt as though my life was ending, in reality it did end & I came into a new life......... A life I lived instead of existed in trying to escape it!

When I surrendered to the fact that I could not go on living if I continued to drink, yet I could not stop drinking I felt totally hopeless. My life was over!!! Not in my wildest dreams could I have ever imagined that I would find a new solution for my life that would result in joys that I never imagined possible.

Surrender combined with 12 steps led me to a HP and a beautiful life. No not a bed full of roses, but one that allows me to like myself & to be of maximum benefit to those I can be of help to.

least 03-08-2010 06:30 AM

Today is the 260th straight "one day at a time". I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but if I start it with just five little words ("I will not drink today"), I know I can face any problem that may arise.
Congrats on your sober time, all brought about by taking it one day at a time! :c011:

FuzzyFatSacks 03-08-2010 06:53 AM

Congrats! I'm new at this, but already "One Day At A Time" is my new motto. You're doing awesome!

NEOMARXIST 03-08-2010 07:19 AM

Nice on 260 days sober!!

'One day at a time' indeed. 'just for today I will not drink or take drugs'

peace

Anna 03-08-2010 07:51 AM

FormerBeerLover, congratulations and good for you for recognizing that you needed to change your life.

vegibean 03-08-2010 09:43 AM

Former, I live by that also. Some days it's just getting through a few minutes. Some days are definitely a struggle but I know that every day will bring new light to the situation or the situation will work out. They are definitely words to live daily by. AMEN!!!! :)

wichitalineman 03-08-2010 07:46 PM

Former, that is truly amazing and powerful stuff. Congratulations on 260 days! That number makes my head spin, it is so freakin' awesome. Thanks for the insightful post.

zandre 03-08-2010 09:06 PM

Congrats on the 260 days! That's awesome!