SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Time warp memory tricks? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/196289-time-warp-memory-tricks.html)

leec 03-07-2010 05:33 PM

Time warp memory tricks?

Example: Today I remember seeing a certain computer cable somewhere in the house in the last week while I was looking for something else, and now I need it. There is no question that I had this particular cable in the house, but when I look everywhere I can possibly think of, once - twice - 3 times - it is no where to be found.

Then I sort of remember that maybe I sent it to someone with some other computer stuff -- but that was over a year ago! But at the same time I can remember SO CLEARLY seeing it just days ago. I have this crystal clear image of seeing the particular type of connector it has, almost definitely the only one of its kind I own(ed), and the color of the plastic (white).

... Buuuuut then, the more I think of it, the more I also remember giving it away a long time ago. My "crystal clear" memory ... could it be some kind of glitch from quitting drinking (5 days sober today)?

Has anyone else had this type of "false memory" as part of detoxing? It's really unnerving, because it's not forgetting (that, I could accept) but it's like "making up" a perfectly clear memory in my head. Scary!

Maybe I'm just going (more) insane?

suki44883 03-07-2010 05:39 PM

Nah...I don't think it has anything to do with detoxing because I do that all the time. Just the other day, in fact, and I'm coming up on two years sober.

intention 03-08-2010 04:37 AM

I suffered a lot with memory problems when I was drinking - I got to the stage of blacking out all memory at 2 drinks in the end.

When I gave up my short term memory got really bad, in that I forgot things that happened 2 minutes ago. It is starting to improve now.

It takes time for your brain to start to heal from the damaged caused by alcohol. The important thing is you are not drinking now.

yeahgr8 03-08-2010 04:45 AM

I can't relate, fortunately for me i was born with super human brain function so all 20 years of drinking did was reduce me to that of a highly intellligent and capable human being...now that's humility in practice lol

Seriously though this happens to anyone...i get it about things that i gave away or binned...usually something i wish that i hadn't given away or binned?!

RobbyRobot 03-08-2010 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by leec (Post 2535895)
.... could it be some kind of glitch from quitting drinking (5 days sober today)?

Has anyone else had this type of "false memory" as part of detoxing? It's really unnerving, because it's not forgetting (that, I could accept) but it's like "making up" a perfectly clear memory in my head. Scary!

hey, big congrats on the five days, leec !![now six] :)

got memory problems??.... Forget about it!!! (hahahaha)

yeah, getting less insane each day you're clean and sober too!!

BTW nice one, yeahgr8 :lmao

leec 03-13-2010 04:14 PM

ok thanks guys ... maybe it was the multiple hit of quitting alcohol, marijuana, and adderall all at once. Day 11 though and no memory glitches lately. :)

Spawn 03-13-2010 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by leec (Post 2535895)
Example: Today I remember seeing a certain computer cable somewhere in the house in the last week while I was looking for something else, and now I need it. There is no question that I had this particular cable in the house, but when I look everywhere I can possibly think of, once - twice - 3 times - it is no where to be found.

Then I sort of remember that maybe I sent it to someone with some other computer stuff -- but that was over a year ago! But at the same time I can remember SO CLEARLY seeing it just days ago. I have this crystal clear image of seeing the particular type of connector it has, almost definitely the only one of its kind I own(ed), and the color of the plastic (white).

... Buuuuut then, the more I think of it, the more I also remember giving it away a long time ago. My "crystal clear" memory ... could it be some kind of glitch from quitting drinking (5 days sober today)?

Sounds to me like you have a lot on your mind is all. I mis-place stuff all the time,...I'm kind of used to it now. I wouldn't worry about it too much. After-all it's only a cable,.......right?

Toronto68 03-13-2010 07:18 PM

Lee, how do you feel otherwise?