SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Wants? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/196219-wants.html)

Spawn 03-06-2010 02:26 PM

Wants?

What do I want from recovery?

This was a question I was asked when I went into rehab. Answer,..........I remember when I was a kid I had a spark of excitement for each new day. My party lifestyle was fun a first and I would be lying if I said it was all bad, but in the end it was dark! Party robbed me of employment advances,..it took away all relationships that meant something to me. My priorities were totally bent!
I was physically,...emotionally,..and spiritually DEAD! I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.

My life now has new purpose and I wouldn't trade it for all the money in the world.
I remember talking about relapse in rehab I remember I was the only one that flat out said NO! relapse isn't an option for me. My room-mate is dead,...he went back out. His death just reinforced my thoughts on relapse "picking up is not an option" It really breaks my heart to see how many people die from this disease,......I've said good-bye to a lot of friends that I miss greatly. Alcoholism is a very serious disease,........it's actually the only disease that tells you, you don't have it. If I could have one wish I would wish all alcoholics and addicts would put down their DOC and give this recovery thing an honest try,...because you've suffered enough.

God bless every-one that reads this.

Houndheart 03-06-2010 03:57 PM

A very good post for a Saturday night. Thanks.

vegibean 03-06-2010 06:36 PM

I wish more could do the "relapse is not an option", it's not for me. Last time I went to treatment is the last time I want to go to treatment. I've been sober ever since.

Great post Spawn. ;)

Anna 03-06-2010 06:49 PM

Thanks, Spawn, for the post.

This disease we have is definitely relentless, but we also can learn so much about ourselves and about life from our recovery.

yeahgr8 03-06-2010 07:27 PM

Honestly when i walked into AA, what did i want from me recovery?

One year of peace and i'll die happy, that's it...i had been wanting that before walking in, i remember my counselor asking the day before i went to AA 'do you want to stop drinking' and i just paused and smiled...i said not really i just want some peace, i just want it all to end...

Life's a trip for us alchies, huh?! Oh yeah, sobriety is much better than active alcoholism, if anyone is still in some sort of doubt...give it go, why not...something to do;-)

CarolD 03-06-2010 08:59 PM

I too have lost many past drinking companions and friends.
28 that I am aware of...since I found AA recovery.

I had no idea what AA did or did not do.
All I wanted was to drink without depression......:duh:

Instead I've found joy and purpose....regardless of
external circumstances. I'm so grateful to be just
another AA miracle.......:yup:

Thanks for sharing your recovery with us Spawn
:a122: