SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Brand new life (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/196031-brand-new-life.html)

Brattitude 03-03-2010 09:57 PM

Brand new life

Today is 2 weeks without a drink. I am new here, and essentially new to life. I began drinking at 18, and began drinking every day by age 22. I can remember only 2 days that I didn't drink in the 19 years since then. For me, this is not about getting my life back, it is about discovering my life for the first time.

I used to go out & socialize, at bars. After 3 different arrests (2 were DWIs), I thought I had solved all of my problems by not drinking and driving. I stopped going out, content to drink myself to sleep at home, alone.

I never had any intention of quitting, I had it in my head that I deserved that cold beer after a hard day at work, to celebrate, to deal with stress, etc... There was always a good reason for drinking. I didn't need to drink at work and a neurologist diagnosed my shaking as a tremor. On days off, I usually waited until late afternoon to start drinking.

In December, I lost my job & things started to change. The time I allowed myself to start drinking became noon, and some days as early as 8AM. I started feeling the change in my body...my heart always racing and having trouble breathing. On Valentine's Day, I was shaking so bad that I was afraid to walk, so of course I had to drink to stop shaking. By Tuesday I was certain that I was going to die. I saw my shrink on Wednesday and I couldn't argue with his insistence that I check myself in for detox. Spending your first day of detox in the cardiac ward is quite the wake up call.

I am excited about a chance to finally be normal :)

Sorry for being so long winded....
I am happy to have found this site and look forward to meeting like-minded friends here.

Paula2010 03-03-2010 10:38 PM

Welcome! You will get alot of support here so you came to the right place! I am nearly four weeks into sobriety.. and its feeling good, though has not been an easy ride and yes I had the same feelings of reality check! Well done on your two weeks, that's great! :You_Rock_
P

OZboy 03-04-2010 12:31 AM

Hi Brattitude..

..I'm excited,as well..:c031:..welcome to SR..OZ..

least 03-04-2010 05:05 AM

Welcome to SR! And congrats on your two weeks! It's a great start to a better sober life. :scoregood

Anna 03-04-2010 05:38 AM

Welcome and congratulations on your 2 weeks sober!

I'm so glad that you went to the hospital and that you are now recovering.

intention 03-04-2010 05:47 AM

Welcome and thanks for sharing how you sought medical help when you were having withdrawal symptoms.

Life is so much better sober :)

academia 03-04-2010 05:48 AM

Welcome friend. I've been through similar experiences as you, started drinking when I was 18 and never looked back. i'm 26 now and finally going sober for good. I'm going through a similar re-discovery; I don't remember who I was or what I enjoyed doing before I found drinking.

In one sense it is fun to do this rediscovery but on the other hand, it is terrifying.

So, hang in there. You're not alone.

SunshineState 03-04-2010 09:38 AM

Welcome!

Cantonian 03-04-2010 09:46 AM

Welcome and congrats for finding your path! stay on it :)

coffeenut 03-04-2010 12:56 PM

Welcome!

CarolD 03-05-2010 07:05 AM

Glad you are heading into a healthy sober future.
Welcome to our recovery community ...:wave: