SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Not New -- New Problem (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/195999-not-new-new-problem.html)

Saavik 03-03-2010 01:19 PM

Not New -- New Problem

Hello,
I joined a few months back and I was doing okay then. Then I fell off the wagon, started drinking again, stopped, started, stopped...and started again on February 26 after Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the New Year all sober, almost four months.
On February 28 I got my first DWI. I can't believe I was so stupid, irresponsible, selfish, and a few other things.
I lost my license and had to get a lawyer. I'm home alone today and I feel awfully scared and very unhappy. I really don't know what to expect.
Can someone help? This is really going to be awful, isn't it? I don't have anyone to talk to. My doctor can't see me until Monday, I can't drive to a counselor, my friends are busy or working, hubby is working, MIL won't speak to me, and I'm just scared. I've never been in trouble in my life.
I've let everyone down, I could have killed people! That is so scary!
How do you cope? What have your experiences been? Can anyone give me a little feedback please?
Oh -- I apologize for butting in the chat room. I was just wanting to talk a little, I'm sorry.
Saav

keithj 03-03-2010 01:30 PM

Howdy Saavik. It's not a new problem. It's the same old problem. It's just a different consequence that you haven't exprienced before.

I made the mistake of thinking each of those new consequences would be the wake up call I needed to finally get sober. I'd race off to treatment or rehab, trying something new to get a grip on my alcoholism.

Real recovery began for me, however, when I fully realized that no consequence was sufficient to overcome alcoholism. There were no wake up calls. Only digging deeper holes. I was just going to keep doing this over and over, and it would never get better, and it would always suck.

When I realized that truth, I became willing to accept spiritual help. I was suffering from something which only a spiritual experience could conquer. You might be suffering from the same thing.

tallcactus 03-03-2010 02:11 PM

((saavik))
Just count your blessing that you did not hurt anyone, since it could of been a lot worst.
Please consider this your bottom, because it can and most likely will get worst if you continue to drink.
DUI laws vary from state to state. Google your state laws for more info. I'm sure your lawyer will explain what you may receive from this charge.
Expect a large fine, lost of license, jail time, MADD classes, DUI education, possible breathalizer device fees, to start your car. Get to AA, have documenation of meeting to show the Judge.
This too will pass. The shame in time will pass. Earning respect from family and friends takes time.
Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

least 03-03-2010 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by tallcactus (Post 2532386)
((saavik))
Just count your blessing that you did not hurt anyone, since it could of been a lot worst.
Please consider this your bottom, because it can and most likely will get worst if you continue to drink.
DUI laws vary from state to state. Google your state laws for more info. I'm sure your lawyer will explain what you may receive from this charge.
Expect a large fine, lost of license, jail time, MADD classes, DUI education, possible breathalizer device fees, to start your car. Get to AA, have documenation of meeting to show the Judge.
This too will pass. The shame in time will pass. Earning respect from family and friends takes time.
Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

I agree one hundred percent! And you're not really alone. YOu have all of us here, on the forum and in chat, so you've always got someone to talk to. :grouphug: Take it one day at a time and try not to worry yourself into a frenzy. It will not be easy getting thru this, but you will get thru it. :grouphug:

Dee74 03-03-2010 03:52 PM

Hi Saavik

I'm really sorry, but I hope some good will come of this - I spent years thinking I was bulletproof and basically disrespecting the hold alcohol had over me - although I never got a driving offense (I have no car) I found myself down for the count in 2007.

Nearly dying was for me the last in long line of wake up calls - like Keith said, I ignored the others through the years, all very real wake up calls that sane people would have taken heed of.

I decided I'd actually do something. I stopped drinking and I've found ways to live fully and stay sober since.

The people here helped me a lot - let us help you too :)

D

Anna 03-03-2010 04:41 PM

I am sorry this happened to you, but I hope you will make this your bottom and decide to stop drinking. Whatever happens with the dwi, the best way to deal with it is to be sober. If you have to go to court, it will be in your favour to be able to show that you have been sober.

Saavik 03-03-2010 08:32 PM

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate your help. This is absolutely as low as I can possibly go. I am going to get to AA and a treatment center, and I do have a good lawyer.
I seem to be a level 5 DWI in NC, the least bad, level 1 being the worst. I might get my license back for work as I have no traffic or criminal record whatsoever. I'm returning to AA tomorrow (sponsor will take me) and I have a treatment center appointment for pre-assessment (before the court makes me go) for next week.
My court date is April 12.
Why was I so stupid? Grrrrrrrr! I took a nap today just before coming into the chatroom and posting this during which I had an awful nightmare. I dreamt I was driving my car into a crowd of little kids. That's part of the reason I came running in here.
Has anyone else had these nightmares? My God, they are awful.
Thanks for your help. One day at a time, SOBER. I might have to lean on this forum if that's ok.
I appreciate all of you!
Saav

Stereosteveo 03-03-2010 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Saavik (Post 2532727)
I am going to get to AA....Saav

Those people have shown me a whole new way of life.

melodiez 03-03-2010 09:21 PM

I had a dui before...they suck :( But just jump through whatever hoops they make you jump through, and time will go by fast :) You might get lucky and only get a reckless driving or something...if not speak to your attorney about deferment

yeahgr8 03-03-2010 09:32 PM

AA sounds good to me Saav...time to ask for some help and direction on this one:-)