Notices

Diabetic_Alcoholic!!!

Old 03-02-2010, 05:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Diabetic_Alcoholic!!!

Well I just found out yesterday I am a Type 2 diabetic! My Dr. told me that my blood sugar was 346 after fasting, it is supposed to be like 120 or a little less!

I stuck myself with a needle for the first time in my life yesterday & once this morning...... very tiny needle, does not hurt as much as sticking myself with that stupid lancet to check my sugar.

I was really down in the mouth when I first found out, but then I got to thinking about how hard it was to stay stopped drinking before I really started takiing the steps to heart & applying them to my daily life.... then I thought about step 12, part of which is applying these principles to ALL areas of my life.... a calm came over me & I knew it would be okay.

Anyone else a diabetic alcoholic?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fighting my Demons

My dad is, an active alcoholic (for over 50 years now) & type 1 diabetic

Even being a diabetic didn't make him stop drinking, so you can be proud of urself
Old 03-02-2010, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was DX'd with "metabolic syndrome" which is a precursor to Type-II....my fasting bloodglucose was running about 100. i haven't checked, but I feel pretty good from not ingesting the wine which probably had a lot of sugar in it.

I do read labels and do not use table sugar, (splenda and stevia)...i do limit the chocolates and cookies which i started craving after I stopped drinking....exercise and diet/weight loss usually helps to keep your body even.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Taz, sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I am not diabetic but have to keep my blood sugar levels stable........and yes, step 12 is very helpful when dealing with this and other health problems.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Taz. I feel for you.

Had some bloodwork done and am getting the results this week. Am pretty anxious about it - not only from a health perspective but I also have no insurance.

Gotta keep it in the day tho and remember that nothing, absolutely nothing, would be solved or made better with a drink.

Take care ~

HB
Old 03-02-2010, 06:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Lord the last thing I would do over this is drink!!! I like having 2 feet!

I knew a man who was an alcoholic as well as a diabetic, lost one foot, then the other, then they took off one leg below the knee and then the other. Last time I saw him he was sitting in his van in a parking lot, both legs gone up to mid thigh! I asked him how he was doing? He said great, just waiting for the wife to bring him a couple of cases out from the store!!! He is probably dead now.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Taz,

I'm sorry about your diagnosis, but I am very glad that you found out about it and you can begin to take steps to live with diabetes.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I know now I cannot manage my life with cupcakes. Please lord take away my urge to eat cup cakes j/k
Old 03-02-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Mcribb I will substitute chocolate chip cookies!!! LOL
Old 03-02-2010, 07:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

hah well I know this sucks, but it's all apart of the plan to get you to not to eat cookies so much
Old 03-02-2010, 07:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Splenda my dears! Its a diabetic answer to baking. My husband was diagnosed a few years back with Type 2 and he was at first quite depressed about it. He brewed his own beer at the time. He was not alcoholic as his wife though. Any ways, God took away his brewing through the diabetes diagnosis just in time for us to get pregnant and have our one and only son.

I have noticed that what is put in to our lives and taken away is all part of the plan. This is of course the opinion of one that holds God in the front of her life and I have noticed that posts like these may offend some, BUT it is just my humble opinion.

Glad God put you here Taz because I KNOW without a doubt that your wisdom and experience has helped countless others around here. Whether you are diabetic or not, you are very, very important to SR and I would imagine your AA group as well.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mcribb View Post
hah well I know this sucks, but it's all apart of the plan to get you to not to eat cookies so much

See I was right!!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Taz, one thing to remember is that Type-II Diabetes is REVERSIBLE with proper diet and exercise, weight loss....(even a small 5% drop in weight will help your blood glucose). Did the doctor start you on meds? were you feeling tired all the time?

there are LOTS of options for treats with lower sugar, watch the fruits you eat for the glycemic index...believe it or not, CHERRIES are one of the lowest...I love sweet dark cherries (when we can get them.)

I bought Tru-via (stevia) for the first time since I started drinking a lot of lemon herbal tea, it pours, looks and tastes just like sugar...about 5 calories a packet.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What a tragedy.

My grandfather was sober for 30 years - became diagnosed with cancer - picked back up and died shortly after. Don't know if alcohol caused his imminent death, but it couldn't have helped.

I get what you said about being long in the mouth upon first hearing your diagnosis. And as much as I know in my head that a drink would never make any bad situation better, until I have first-hand experience, it's not for me to judge.

God knows I have alot to learn and am grateful for that cuz if the day ever came that I thought I knew it all, I'd be in big trouble.

All the best to you.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
I knew a man who was an alcoholic as well as a diabetic, lost one foot, then the other, then they took off one leg below the knee and then the other.
So:

Because you do not get legless....
You won't be legless!

:-)
Old 03-02-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Fandy Today is my first full day as a diabetic, like when I first quit drinking, I have a great deal to learn. I am on BYETTA 5cc, twice a day, the doctor started me off on that because of how high my level was (Over 320 if I recall correctly). I am going to go to some class on this. I have lost about 30 pounds in the last year which I learned was actually a symptom.

I am doing a lot of research on what I should & should not eat. I am making sure I drink lots of water and plan on starting to exercise again. Funny thing, I like fruit, but until now never really bothered eating much of it.

I am very grateful that I have a good progran to lean upon that I know works for me.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was just on glucophage for about 2 years...it did help with my energy level, but I wrecked myself if I would drink with it.....so I stopped taking it.

you can get a list of the glycemic index for different fruits if you do a search on line..(I learned I should not be eating watermelon)..you sound like you are doing great....I hope all works out easily for you....IDK how I would do with giving myself shots...I am a big chicken when it comes to sticking myself.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Taz, on 3/13 I'll be riding in the Tour de Cure to raise money for the ADA. I don't have diabetes, but now I have a connection.....YOU Do you ride a bicycle? Being a Type 2, you can be a Red Rider for the ADA.

I'm sorry that's your diagnosis, but I too believe that everything goes according to His plan. So lately, I'm just trying to stay out of the way while He does the work.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear that Taz

I do have several friends who are diabetic tho - and the ones who look after themselves lead perfectly healthy normal active lives.

I wish you continued good health and happiness mate!

D
Old 03-02-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My beloved little dog has it, but with the right amount of the right insulin, a good diet, and exercise he is doing very well and is in excellent health. Eat right, excercise, and take care of yourself - you'll be alright. :ghug3