Notices

Diabetic_Alcoholic!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 02:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Astro, I no longer ride a bike, but may take it back up again, it can not hurt anything!

Fandy sticking myself was a great fear of mine as well, but it is basically painless, the needle is super small and they have me injecting in my stomach area so very few nerves.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

OUCH....i know,iknow, the needles are teensy tiny.....it's me....i hope all works out for you and you are feeling better as your body adjusts...when your blood sugar is raising and dipping like a roller coaster I always felt like crappola and so tired....exercise will help too.

I hate to watch every bite i put in my mouth! i limit myself to 2 cookies and 2 chocolates everynight.....the cookies are covered with a thick layer of dark chocolate too. i love chocolate as much as i love coffee lately, must be part of this sobriety thing??? LOL
Old 03-03-2010, 03:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I am pretty bummed at this moment, I just checked my blood sugar and it is at 328!!!! I hope I am simply being impatient, but I have been being VERY good since I found out Monday, eating what I should be eating and taking my shots and I see no improvement.

Such is life, being an alcoholic I still expect instant results in many things. I see the Dr. again this afternoon so I will see what I should be expecting if I am doing what I should be doing.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Taz sorry to hear this and i didn't have diabetes but i told you what happened to me, with the high triglycerides thing and the doctor saying that they were star trek high, good luck with the pills hope to see you in none piece next month...that one yeah...exercise and a healthy diet sorted that out over 4 months...well and medication....and getting sober, but you sober already so you leaps ahead!!!!

I'm just saying you might not want to do it but exercise and diet will make a massive difference, what a hassle for you though to get diabetes in the first place! Make a few changes mate we need you upright for a lot longer yet;-)
Old 03-03-2010, 05:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

yeahgr8 I am doing the change of diet deal, the biggest diet change for me is eating 3 meals a day & 3 snacks a day. For many years I only ate a large dinner and then would pig out on junk food while laying in bed! LOL

This morning I had a banana & a small bowl of cranberry oatmeal, I have an apple & orange waiting for snack time. The exercise will come pretty soon.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

that's a good start! no, you need to eat small frequent meals, if you go all day without eating, you are setting yourself up for that roller coaster ride.

maybe Triscuits and cheese for a bit of low sugar snacks and higher protein?..like a mini-meal..i like fresh chicken salad with my triscuits...I make it with lots of celery, shredded carrots and low-fat mayo, 4-5 triscuits and a couple of small scoops I'm full.

I also like baked sweet potatoes.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey my friend, sorry to hear about your diagnosis I'm quite ignorant about diabetes but, from what I'm reading, it sounds like another challenge has come your way. There's no doubt in my mind that you will face it with your usual courage, one step at a time.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi Taz. I'm not diabetic but my step dad is. He isn't alcoholic but in addition to the diabetes he has a whole long list of other physical issues. He doesn't take care of himself at all . I know you will. I'm glad you found out so you can manage it and continue to be an inspiration to others.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
This morning I had a banana & a small bowl of cranberry oatmeal, I have an apple & orange waiting for snack time. The exercise will come pretty soon.

Hi Taz,

This will certainly take some time for you to adjust to and I can understand it is frustrating not seeing your sugars dropping. I hope you don't mind but I thought I might just add some thoughts about your breakfast and high blood sugar levels.

Bananas vary a lot in their sugar content. The ones which are not quite ripe will be low in sugar, that's why they don't taste so great and the ones which are riper and the skins are starting to turn brown, are high in sugar. Likewise you can have sweet apples which are high in sugar and sour apples which are lower in sugar. Same with oranges.

The sugar content of fruit is dependant on where they are grown - plenty of sunshine = high sugar. Traditional English apples don't taste so sweet as we don't get much sunshine here

Oatmeal is a lower GI food but once you add milk (lactose - otherwise known as sugar - in liquid form which instantly absorbs into the bloodstream), and a ripe banana, the overall glycemic load for the meal could be quite high......or more to the point, too high for your body, even if it is OK for another diabetic.

For breakfast you could try eating some scrambled eggs on one slice of toast (choose a lower GI bread like a dense wholegrain loaf rather than white fluffy stuff) and see how your sugars compare to the oatmeal, cranberry and banana.

You could also try a few natural nuts like pecans, brazils, walnuts, almonds, macadamia to substitute one piece of fruit at snack time. The proteins and fats in the nuts buffer the effect that the carbs (sugars) in the fruit have on the blood. Nuts are also packed full of nutrients. Some cheese with apple is another way of doing this.