Notices

Is this normal

Old 03-01-2010, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Is this normal

DAY 8 Ifeel good exept what i guess is liver pain or some kind of dull ache under my ribs but yester day only felt it a couple times unlike day two when it was off and on all day and night .kind of scary . Anyways other than that I feel good. I sleep deep feel rested over all a sense of well being exept nagging pain that comes and goes. I was looking in the mirror early and noticed how open and white my eyes look white and crisp not hazy and squinted my overall complection looked better. I Noticed i didnt have a swollen look or that tired look I actually looked younger exept I notice my hair line looks to receeding i never noticed that before. Also I went to my childrens bedrooms last night . i have 11 year old twin boys and 4 year old girl which is a big daddys girl but watching them sleep i started to think why would i risk my life or years off my life for something so stupid.How could i do this to them I love so much.Ive always coached and sports hunting fishin ect Just like I did with my dad but my dad didnt drink On weekends I always would have a beer drink all day and half the night till i ran out or passed out.My boys would always tell me and my brother why you drink its bad for you I always pretended it was normal yeah 20 to 30 beers or more a weekend plus a teelve pack at least once during the week thats not normal.NOT to mention when drank every day before marrying. Why did I feel i had to drink the urge to drink look for any reason to drink look foward to drinking so much plan things around drinking .Well i wonder will I still enjoy camping boating grilling football which I love WILL they still appeal to me or bring on urges or cravings. I also worry about my brother unlike mine his wife drinks heavy they drink every day and have for fifteen years hard stuff beer ect. although were close and always have been I NO he will brush me off or say hes not an alcoholic or why you on this kick . I ALSO have some anxiety Ive always been sort of a worry kind of person but latly its diffrent like about the little pains I WAS talking about. will all this pass is it normal any advice
Old 03-01-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As far as liver pain and back pain I would strongly urge you to see a doctor. You really should get a check up after you stop drinking any ways. Our bodies have been put through a lot with our drinking and have lost a lot of vitamins and minerals too and so taking some B-complex helped me with my energy level and a multi vitamin can't hurt either, but PLEASE go and call your doctor. It may be nothing, but no one SR can or even could diagnose you.

Anxiety will get better when you are off the alcohol or at least it did for me. I had terrible anxiety about driving on the highways and now I do it without a problem. Also social anxiety has gotten better too. Yes, it will. Give it time.

As far as your kids are concerned good for you for giving it up. Why you did it is because you are alcoholic. You can stop it though with help. Don't start dwelling on the past right now because that's a sure destiny back to drinking in my opinion. Be grateful for today and all you do have in your life.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try and not worry about what others might think.
You know what alcohol does to you and why you're doing this.

Sometimes the things we did when drinking - like camping or BBQ's - are hard to do now we're not - but you'll find a lot of support here. Every time you do something sober it gets a little more familiar and a little easier.

I found I was a lot more at peace once I accepted I was an alcoholic, that I could not control my drinking once I started, and that alcohol did bad things to me.

I'm down with HL too Scamy - go and get checked out.
Your health is too important to ignore.

I'm sorry for the anxiety - it's common. It usually passes, but ask your Dr about that too if you're especially worried

D
Old 03-01-2010, 01:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Scamy;

by all means schedule an appt with your regular doctor and TELL HIM/HER about your pains and the location....I'm betting they will order some bloodwork which will tell you exactly what's going on....(nothing or something, but the sooner you know the better you will feel and know how to proceed).

congrats on your 8 days..it gets better each day and easier...your outlook will change once you have a little more time to reflect...(mine changes hourly some days)
Old 03-01-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i was told all this was pretty common even the little dull abdominal pain not saying i wont see my own docter I will the dr i talked to did encourage a check up but said this is common for first couple of weeks since this is only symptom told me take b12 milk thistle and maybe garlic I will see my doctor next week on monday but today i havnt felt this little pain and not yesterday that much thanks every one
Old 03-01-2010, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad its most likely nothing and you do have an appointment. You understand our concern I hope. We aren't really nagging you, but . . . oh wait! I guess we really are. We only nag because we care. That should be a card "We only nag because we care."
Old 03-01-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you and yes i have an appointment monday
Old 03-01-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing pretty well Scamy and it's good that you have a drs appointment.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I take Liver Anti-oxidants ( i order them from ProCaps labs on line, very high quality and standardized), Phosphetyl Choline, Phosphetyl Serine and Milk Thistle daily (even when I was drinking), I've taken Milk Thistle for about 10 years....b-12 complex is in the PS...all capsul forms so they disolve easier.

now I can't offer a medical opinion, but I think they made the withdrawal symptoms less painful, for me anyway....I couldn't take them for a week while I was nauseated, but as soon as i could resume food, I started back on my supplements.

your doctor will probably order LFT, BUN, creatnine for you which he might want you to repeat in 3 months....depends on the numbers.