SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Insights and Reflections from Dub- if you have time..... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/195688-insights-reflections-dub-if-you-have-time.html)

dedubya 02-27-2010 04:48 AM

Insights and Reflections from Dub- if you have time.....

Well I woke up at 4 as usual this morning and having my OJ (no alcohol in case you are wondering), and just wanted to reflect on the disease I have and share. For those that don't know me, I am a struggling alcoholic, kicked everything else a long time ago- couple of relapses on the other things but alcohol is my wall to break down, I dont crave any drugs ever- so that is under control in my mind. Now to the reflections:
1- I saw my daughter play her last high school basketball game last night- she has a 3.8 GPA and a scholarship to her colllege. (she is captain of cheer team and an amazing gymnast- we have a great relationship and I see a lot of me in her- however she gets completely pissed about any intoxicants and is as straight as you can get). I love her so much. She is beautiful.
2- I have a great job that pays well, and I am pretty good at it. However alcohol has had an effect on my work early in the day, even the amount I am driniking (now- it is 4-6 a day, beer, I dont drink liquor- dont like the taste- know thats weird for most).
3- I am addicted to alcohol- with the beer, I could drink 1000 if I didnt work every waking minute.
4- I love life and the beauty of the world, birds waking up at 5am, sunsets, the smell of natural beauty. I even like storms..they are beautiful if you ever see a big one.
5- Just wanted to say that, I sometimes wonder why I don't look at the great things I already have, and just quit this crap.....

Well I am going in full force this week, and detoxing, so just getting some things out of my head.
Love you all-
Dub

tyler 02-27-2010 04:55 AM

Sounds like you are seeing life with clearer eyes now. That's great, and something I can totally relate to. I spent the last 20 years viewing the world through a green haze of pot. Nothing excited me, but now it's like the whole world is in Technicolor. Glad you are doing better. Take care!!

dedubya 02-27-2010 06:03 AM

[QUOTE=tyler;2528503]Sounds like you are seeing life with clearer eyes now. That's great, and something I can totally relate to. I spent the last 20 years viewing the world through a green haze of pot. Nothing excited me, but now it's like the whole world is in Technicolor. Glad you are doing better. Take care!![/QU

Thanks

Fandy 02-27-2010 06:24 AM

congrats on your decision! i saw everything through an alcoholic haze almost every night for 25 years...the last 12 days for me, the big picture gets a bit more HD clear every day.

you cherish that relationship with your daughter and cultivate it...she will be so proud of you too.

dedubya 02-27-2010 06:35 AM

thanks

least 02-27-2010 09:23 AM

You are detoxing this week? Do you have medical help or someone close to call for medical help if you need it? I wish you a safe and successful detox. After you detox, do you have a plan to stay sober? Wishing you the best.

NEOMARXIST 02-27-2010 10:33 AM

Hope you can find what you're looking for Dub.

Peace And Love man x

intention 02-27-2010 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by dedubya (Post 2528493)
5- Just wanted to say that, I sometimes wonder why I don't look at the great things I already have, and just quit this crap.....
Dub

After a long time of searching for the answer to this question, I found that it was just a fact that I couldn't give up even though I had a beautiful young child who relied on me to take care of him.

When I finally realised that, I was able to surrender to the fact that I am powerless over alcohol and then I found that the relief that I felt after that surrender was worth far more than all the answers and good feelings that I sought with the alcohol.

The 12 step program of AA removed my obession to drink alcohol.

If you can't find your answers, Dub, I hope you can surrender instead.

Take care with your detox.

Lenina 02-27-2010 02:30 PM

(((dubs))))

This deserves more than I have time for just now, but it's great that you're waking up with gratitude in your heart! I'll write more when I have some time but did want to stop by and let you know I'm here for support.

So, I'll be back once I get my day under control!

Much love to you!

Lenina

Dee74 02-27-2010 02:32 PM

Hope you're going with a supervised detox Dub.
Good luck - keep us updated :)

D

Hevyn 02-27-2010 04:03 PM

I'm excited for you and hope you'll be safe as you detox. It sounds like you're ready, and tired of the same old game. A new life awaits you, Dub - no more anxiety, remorse, or fear of the future. You can do this.

Mark75 02-27-2010 05:25 PM

Stay in touch.

OZboy 02-27-2010 09:06 PM

..I know,that you know....

..Hope it goes well..I love a *fighter*...Ozy