SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Healthy, healthy, healthy! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/195471-healthy-healthy-healthy.html)

coffeenut 02-24-2010 05:39 AM

Healthy, healthy, healthy!

Watched an old episode of 'Celebrity Rehab' last night. They brought back 3 stars who had been on the show previously. Dang, they looked GREAT! Healthy, healthy, healthy!

I remember when I first got sober. I could not wait for at least a year to pass....a year, two, five! I just needed some sober time. That first year I posted at 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 months just to keep myself going and celebrate (SR ROCKS, btw).

Now....short of 2 years, I don't have that need anymore. I'm FINALLY comfortable in my own skin. I'm not wishing my life away so I can have some sober time. Sobriety is finally a part of who I am. I don't think about it....but it's always on my mind, if that makes sense.

Come to think of it, not sure this is going to make any sense to anyone but myself. I guess I just want the newbies to know that sobriety is so worth every bit of pain getting there puts you through.

Have a Great Sober Wednesday, friends! Celebrate YOU!

Anna 02-24-2010 05:57 AM

Hi Coffeenut,

It makes a lot of sense to me.

I think to be able to continue to recover, I needed to incorporate recovery into my daily life. The things I do each day, like spending time alone with myself, long walks, are not directly related to recovery, but they are the things that keep me on my path.

ViciousCycle 02-24-2010 07:35 AM

I don't think about it....but it's always on my mind, if that makes sense.
You don't obsess about it anymore, how liberating!!!!!!!

Congrats to you my friend. :ghug3

Tazman53 02-24-2010 08:03 AM

Sobriety is finally a part of who I am. I don't think about it....but it's always on my mind, if that makes sense.
Makes sense to me as well, as already said, the obsession is gone.

Come to think of it, not sure this is going to make any sense to anyone but myself. I guess I just want the newbies to know that sobriety is so worth every bit of pain getting there puts you through.
This does to me as well, I have found that nothing aides my sobriety more then working with a fellow alcoholic. I had a guy call the hotline last night, I arranged him a ride to a newcomers meeting last night and will be giving him a ride to my home group tonight. It feels good to me to give away freely what was given to me freely.

Fandy 02-24-2010 08:03 AM

coffeenut, i dream of getting to your point in time....thanks for the insight.

daisy1 02-24-2010 08:27 AM

do you REALLY stop wanting alcohol eventually? I just can't imagine it.....

intention 02-24-2010 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by daisy1 (Post 2525816)
do you REALLY stop wanting alcohol eventually? I just can't imagine it.....

Yes Daisy and it is promised so in the Big Book at the end of Pg84.

This is why I work the program because I want to be free of the obsession to drink alcohol.

If I had to give up drinking but still think and obsess about it, I think I would rather be drinking.

Great post, Coffee. :)

NEOMARXIST 02-24-2010 12:44 PM

Good post Coffeenut. Yes it's good feeling healthy, the only thing I still suffer with is the legacy of my Cocaine/pill abuse. Sinuses/nose are still giving me hell man!! Thinking today though it kind of reafirms to me each day that I'm an addict as well as an alcoholic.

Thanks for the positive message.

*To daisy1* Yes eventually the obsession/compulsion over alcohol does leave you. I feel indifferent towards alcohol now but still have a healthy respect for it and realise that I'm only one drink away from losing everything. You just gotta have faith in what all these recovering alcoholics/addicts are telling you.

peace.

Hevyn 02-24-2010 01:24 PM

I obsessed over not drinking for months after quitting. One day I realized, I rarely thought of it - and this after more than 25 yrs. of heavy drinking for all occasions. I honestly did not see myself living without it. I didn't realize how much it was beating me down and sucking the life out of me - thought it was helping me cope. Real life was never as difficult as I had made it out to be.

Thanks, coffeenut - I'm sure this will inspire new people just signing on.

coffeenut 02-24-2010 07:58 PM

That's it! The OBSESSION is gone! Dang, I love this place!

YES, Daisy, there actually comes a day that you do NOT want to drink. Doesn't even sound good. You become PROUD of that fact....and then next thing you know, you're telling people you never thought you would, that you are in recovery.

You're right, Hevyn, real life isn't as bad as I made it out to be. I think that is a HUGE issue for newbies.....we need to sticky it!

I'm just sitting here shaking my head...the obsession is Gone! Dang, feel like I just won the lottery!

Thanks, SR!

CarolD 02-24-2010 08:32 PM

:hug:
I'm so very pleased for you!

wichitalineman 02-25-2010 05:21 PM

Coffeenut, that is super inspiring! Thanks for sharing that. While still pretty new to the sober thing, I am finding it to be the best thing I have ever committed to and executed - along with quitting smoking over 2 years ago. Now if I can only continue to stay on the bicycle and ride around everywhere, I should have this thing sorted!

Thanks for the great post. :)