Notices

Day 1

Old 02-24-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Third night down and all good. Stayed up extra late last night to help sleep, and it worked. Less sweats, more sleep.

Congrats Tribal.

Bring it.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

congrats to you both on a good start! I was in the same place just last week, today is Sober Day 9 for me and I couldn't have done it without all the support here, just reading about people who were going through the same thing and seemed to have the same thoughts i did, like a mirror image.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

MJohn and Tribal - Welcome to you both. One day at a time! Heck for me it sometimes was one minute at a tme but it does get better. Keep posting and keep in contact with those who understand. There are many of us who do.

See ya round
Old 02-24-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

MJohn you are doing so well, I am trying to draw strength from your posts if you don't mind. I have drunk nightly for so many years now I can't seem to get my head around NOT doing it, but my worst days are Tuesday and Thursday, I often start at 9am, my husband and safe person (I am agoraphobic) goes to work those days and I am so alone in our new town. I will need support more than willpower, but I am happy that you are doing this....there are quite a few people that I am reading about and getting courage from. Someone said 'a minute at a time.....that will be my goal today...deal with the panic and not drink for as long as I can....keep up the good work.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

ChasingH: Thanks for the kind words. To me, my decision to stop - or to really try to stop - was much like my decision to stop smoking - I was ready [and am now ten years smoke free].

Will power can suck, but when you're really ready it can indeed be challenged and overcome. You've got to want a change, you've got to see the positives to a change. Albeit only a few days, I feel so much better it's crazy. So that's a positive. And I want more [go figure]. But it's more than just a thing...it's your life. And that should be nothing but positive. Guess it just depends on which way you're looking.

Like so many on this board say...you can do it. Like you said, baby steps - which are much more sexy than stumbled steps.

This board rocks.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Mjohn,
I made it another night! I figure if you can do so it can I. No new bruises anywhere today.
How did you do?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

All good, Tribal. [And good for you] Four nights down. And holy #$@% did I sleep well last night. It's like seven years of sleep deprivation unleashed. I feel like a bear in the spring right now. Gimme pickanick basket.

Bring it.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Good for you mjohn, and you too tribal.
Keep it up guys.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:26 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Mrs

Originally Posted by mjohn View Post
All good, Tribal. [And good for you] Four nights down. And holy #$@% did I sleep well last night. It's like seven years of sleep deprivation unleashed. I feel like a bear in the spring right now. Gimme pickanick basket.

Bring it.
Mjohn,
That's great!! I have to admit that I have cheated. I have been taking lunesta so I could sleep. Otherwise I would be up all night and probably would drink. Tonight I am going to try to go without it. I have been getting in some killer workouts since I have not been drinking.It's nice not waking up with red eyes and big bags under them. Although, I do miss the taste of a straight shot of liquor.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:38 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Tribal, I don't know if it is out and out cheating to have taken Lunesta. If you find yourself missing the taste of liquor, well, I guess I would think about all the reasons I wasn't happy with alcohol. If you keep going without it, chances are you are going to think of reasons you are content anyway. Otherwise, there are lots of people to talk it out with, you just have to click and ask.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Mrs

Hi Mjohn,
How did you do last night? I hope you did better than me. The cravings got the best of me. I went to aa yesterday. But, as the day went on the cravings got worse and I gave into it. I am going start over today. My son text message me last night and ask me was I drinking. I hated to have to text him back this morning tell him that I did.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Tribal: As a species, we are far from perfect, so start fresh today and don't hang up on yesterday. It's good you're back here, though. Shows you recognize the mistake and can own up to it.

For what it's worth, I feel better today than yesterday, which was pretty friggen good. Sleeping like a ROCK. And it can only get better. That's what fuels me. So try and focus on the positive side of how you feel, knowing that it's going to suck to get there at first, but so worth it. To me it's like a drug in its own, knowing that every day only gets better. And I want more.

Hang in there. And do it for you.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:24 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Mrs

Right now I feel hung over with a bad headache. I'm going to do my best to make it tonight without drinking. Thanks for the support!
Old 02-27-2010, 04:52 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Mrs

Well, I made it. And glad I did. I have a long hard day at both jobs. Will be easier not feeling grotchy and hung over with a headache. I did spend last night resting, praying,reading my bible and thanking God for his help.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:27 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good for you, Tribal. Keep at it. I've got six nights down and as I've said, everyday gets better. The last three nights I've slept like a baby. Last night I even went to a wine bar next door...sat at the bar with the regulars, drank a bottle of Pellegrino, had dinner, laughed, went home, watched the Olympics, and then off to sleep. Risky situation I know, but ZERO temptation. I'm addicted to the plusses of not drinking. Awesome feeling.

Only issue I have now is hanging with people I know and not drinking...last night I said I was tired, etc, and wasn't into it [but still had fun]. Granted, I don't owe a reason to anyone, but there's going to be a point when I have to just say I'm not drinking any more. Or will there be a point? Need I say anything? So I don't drink anymore, big deal. It makes me a better person...

Week two starts tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I've been reading through your thread and it seems like you are doing a great job! Keep it up! I too suffered through insomnia and then a few nights later was amazed at how great sober sleep was!

Originally Posted by mjohn View Post
Only issue I have now is hanging with people I know and not drinking...last night I said I was tired, etc, and wasn't into it [but still had fun].

Week two starts tomorrow.
I was also mortified about telling my friends about quitting drinking. I still haven't told all of my friends, but I have told all my close family, and closes friends. I fear that many of my acquaintances were drinking buddies only so once I tell them it'll be goodbye. From my experience, people are pretty supportive about quitting drinking and one of my friends even told me "its good you quit, it was like you were punishing yourself". I guess I wasn't hiding my alcoholism as well as I thought I was!
GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi John,
I am not doing very good here. I wish I had your strength. Keep it up. At least one of us will be sober.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

C'mon, Tribal, you can do it. And don't let any set backs get in the way of your ultimate goal. If I can you can. Take my word, it gets easier after it sucks. Tonight will be my 8th...and it's much easier than my third.

Hang in there.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

congrats on Day 8!
I am on Day 13 and it gets better every day, maybe not as easy some days, but for the most part I try to envision a glimpse of "The BIG picture" and it looks to be in HD...and wonderful...
I keep reading here about people who have come so far, 30, 60, 90 days, 6 months...and I want to experience the same.

when I first started I didn't think I could do 2 days in a row.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:39 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Congrats to you, too, Fandy. Indeed, every day is better, and I , too, can't wait to reach higher grounds.

Keep it up.