Notices

Hello everyone

Old 02-21-2010, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone

Hi everybody I've been here twice in the past and it helped a lot. However unfortunately I've relapsed each time. This time I'm really scared I'm only 21 years old and have had this problem for about 2 years now. I drink anywhere from 12-20 beers a day sometimes even more.

What has me really concerned is the past week or so I've been getting pretty bad pains in my back and on the right side of my abdomen near my liver. I've put on massive amount of weight. I'm just really scared that I basically put a stamp on my death. I don't want this anymore. I hate it.

I've already made the decision I want to get myself back into school and have been accepted a good university near where I live. I want to live beyond this year and make something of myself. I know now no matter what I say I have a problem with alcohol that won't ever get better and I can't drink "responsibly" like just about everyone else around me at this age.

I'm going to see my doctor again hopefully tomorrow if I can get in or as soon as possible. I'm just here again for support and if anyone else ever experienced these pains?
Old 02-21-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello

I am no doctor but my guess is that you have not yet devloped any serious damage to your body.

Go to the doc for sure.

You are very young and the fact that you already know you have a problem tells me you are on your way to recovery.

Keep posting we are their for you.

It took me 30 years to figure out what you already have in a couple years.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bozo123 View Post
I am no doctor but my guess is that you have not yet devloped any serious damage to your body.

Go to the doc for sure.

You are very young and the fact that you already know you have a problem tells me you are on your way to recovery.

Keep posting we are their for you.

Thanks. Already remembering the quick support from everyone here. I'm just very scared.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Zandre

It's best to get to your Dr. I hope it proves to be nothing.

Got any plans on how to maintain your recovery?

D
Old 02-21-2010, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back Zandre

It's best to get to your Dr. I hope it proves to be nothing.

Got any plans on how to maintain your recovery?

D
Thanks.

I'm not sure yet. Before reading helped. Found some authors I really liked. Want to get back into shape. I also had my first session last Thursday with a therapist that specializes in addiction and plan on seeing him weekly possibly more in the beginning. The place he works at also has AA and other addiction meeting I think I may give a shot this time around.

Just freaked out the past 6 months of my life I was not a functional person. Woke up, started drinking a few hours later, played video games and watched TV till I'd black out and go to bed. Sleep several hours. Repeat. I hate it. I'm tired of it. It completely controls me now.

Just very scared. I've always been a very anxious person and this makes it worse the pain I've got the past week or so. Just don't want to die this young or think about the hell I may have to go through if I have done permanent damage.

If anyone else got similar pains please let me know.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I hope you see the doctor to be safe. He/she can help make your detox safer and easier and can do tests to make sure your health is alright. (((hugs)))
Old 02-21-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Zandre,

I'm glad you recognize that you need to stop drinking.

It's good that you are going to talk to your dr, too.

You'll find lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone. I was able to get an appointment with my doctor for today so hopefully the news is good. Still really concerned about these pains.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

you can do this....
Old 02-23-2010, 07:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well everyone just a quick update. I officially made it through day 1. Yesterday I saw my doctor. He gave me some meds, tough love, and a little bit of optimism that as long as I can kick this now and for good I should live a long normal life.

He gave me a script of Librium and Campril for the withdraws and cravings. He also took a blood tests for both liver and kidney functions. I'm sure they are going to be elevated I just hope they are only mildly elevated. I'm going back to see him again in a month where I'll take another blood test.

Still pretty scared and concerned though as I'm still getting that pain in my abdomen. It is still dull but seems a little worse today but manageable. Sometimes it feels more like a pressure than pain but nonetheless uncomfortable and concerning. Anyways I'm just trying to keep my mind off that.

Still curious if anyone else had these dull pains for a while after quitting initially?

I also haven't eaten like anything. My appetite is terrible. I'm going to try and eat some soup in a little while so I can take my vitamins.

Thanks for reading and the support. I'll keep everyone updated. Have a good day.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi zandre,

First, I want to give you a huge pat on the back for going to see your doctor. IMHO, that's a very, very important step and I'm glad you decided to make and keep the appointment.

No one can tell you that you don't have something going on in your body although I suspect you're young enough that you'll be fine. That said, I did have some dull pains near my liver that did go away after about my first week of sobriety. I had the full medical exam (including blood tests) as well and everything came back fine.

What I came to realize is that there was definitely something going on inside of me regardless of the normal test - a wake-up call. This alcoholism thing really only comes to two endings to the story - sobriety or death. If there is an in-between, I haven't seen or heard about it yet.

I'm not trying to be harsh but just trying to put things in perspective. You are young and you've been given a huge blessing - the realization that what you are doing is destructive and can and will kill you if you continue. I would just really encourage you to go full force in your recovery. Get involved in AA, keep posting here, and whatever you do make sure you keep that follow up doctor's appointment in a month!

Thanks once again for posting and know that you have a full community that is with you and supports you!

RacerX
Old 02-23-2010, 08:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are heading into a sober healthy future..

Be gentle with yourself...you are de toxing. Drink a lot of water
cut out caffeine and yes eating lightly is a good idea.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Zandre;

I'm on Sober Day 8..last week I had a lot of abdominal tenderness and felt swollen in my lower stomach...I kept pushing fluids, broth with a few soft veg, then crackers, fruit,...a light diet....started taking my vitamins (with food)...i was also coming off a GI virus as I decided to stop 25 years of driniking 8-10 glasses of wine every night....one illness fueled the other...my stomach swelling subsided after about 4 days...it's still not "normal but about 70% better.

if you feel weird, call the doctor.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well figured I'd just give a quick update to everyone. Today is officially one week for me. I went to Cracker Barrel tonight and spoiled myself with some chicken fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, and green beans. Of course was very yummy. Feeling a little bit better every single day.

Unfortunately still have the darn pains but I guess they seem to be getting a little better but not much. Just trying to keep my mind off of it as much as possible for the time being. Just telling myself even if you did do something bad you can't do anything about it now except to not drink. Had my first real craving last night but got through it. Just told the old brain NO! I'm cutting back on the librium I was prescribed since I'm through most of the physical withdraws and still taking my Campral twice a day.

Some good news I've lost 7lbs in just this week eating moderately healthy and just getting rid of all those empty calories I was gulping down every night. Overall its been a good first week without too many problems.

Thanks again for all the support.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just another quick update. It helps for me to type this out occasionally. Today I officially hit day 10. I'm in double digits woo! Unfortunately still getting these annoying dull pains in the area of my liver but as I said earlier seem to be getting a little better but not a whole lot. Still has me pretty darn scared and concerned. Other than the anxiety about the pain I've been pretty good overall. A couple of the emotional roller coasters here and there. Wanted to cry over nothing and feeling as though I'm on a natural high other times.

My sleep cycle is still horrible and something I really need to get corrected in the next 2 weeks or so as I start school again around the end of March. I'm excited about it but also very nervous because it has been nearly a year and half since I was last in any type of class. I figure this time I'm going to start off slow. Probably just take a couple credit hours to get myself into the swing of things. Also going to be taking summer classes to keep myself busy and away from the thought of drinking as I know that will be the hardest obstacle for me when all my friends get back. I've been thinking about some good sober activities to do with friends like fishing and golfing. I really hope it gets warm here in Ohio soon.

Did have a pretty bad moment last night when a panic attack hit me out of no where. Luckily I have had two before in the past so I knew what it was unlike the first time. I thought I was having a heart attack and saw my doctor right away where he was able to calm me down. I was able to calm myself down by simply talking to my mom for a couple minutes but dang I hate those things especially since I wasn't worried about anything. Just hit me out of the blue.

I had a great dinner tonight with the family. Went out to a local sushi buffet and pigged out a little too much but oh well a little over indulgence with food is much better than all that beer I was drinking. I've also managed to lose nearly 10lbs in these first 10 days which has made me happy. My mom and sister both have mentioned how I'm already looking skinnier again. I'll be going in for my second LFT blood test in about three weeks so please everyone wish me luck and send some positive energy.

Thanks again to everyone here. I love this place and I don't know what I'd do without it. Again just for piece of mind anyone else that might have had some dull liver pain after quitting drinking it helps ease my anxiety knowing there are others so please let me know.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great work Zandre!!
Old 03-07-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just another quick update. Today I am officially two weeks into my third attempt at sobriety and I am determined to make this my last time. It has been the normal up and down battle emotionally. Thankfully I've only had one severe craving to drink in the past two weeks but just told myself NO!

Unfortunately still am getting these pesky liver pains which is really bugging me and still has me quite concerned but I am trying my best to just keep my mind off the whole situation as I really can't do anything about it but not drink. These next two weeks are going to be long waiting until my next blood test too see how my liver enzymes are. Last night laying in bed it seemed a little better but still not a whole lot.

I started to read "The Green Mile" since it was one of the only books in the house I hadn't read yet. Even though I've seen the movie books are usually better so we'll see if that is the case with this novel. I've just been watching a lot of movies and playing video games to help pass the time. Boredom is definitely my biggest trigger for drinking so anything to keep myself occupied is obviously important.

On a good note I'm getting Chipolte tonight! Big ole' burrito should make me feel better than later I'm seeing Brooklyn's Finest. Hopefully its worth it.

Thanks again everyone! Hopefully the pains subside here in the near future and as always anyone else that experienced this for a duration after stopping drinking it'd be greatly appreciated to hear you had the same issue.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations on two weeks, Zandre!
Old 03-07-2010, 06:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bozo123 View Post
I second this. Your insight and desire for change will help pull you through this. You have your whole life ahead of you, literally - and have such an opportunity right now to choose a path that will change the course of your life for the better.

Good job recognizing the issue, and for wanting to take it head on. I have no doubt that you can do this!!!

Hugs!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are still on track.....

Drink lots and lots of water Gatorade is also good.