Notices

Hello everyone

Old 03-07-2010, 07:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Good for you! So glad you are under a doc's care, as well.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Well Done. Thanks for your posts.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Another quick update for everyone. Today I am officially on day 17 and seem to be feeling a little bit better everyday. Unfortunately have felt almost like I've had a mild flu the past two days or so but I figure it is just another part of detoxing and my body getting used to life without the booze. I seem to be pretty well over the brain "fog" which is nice but the memory can still be a little shakey at times but I know it will take a while for my brains chemicals to all start to re-balance themselves. I've heard anywhere from a month to three months so not too worried about that right now.

I had another meeting with my addiction therapist today. Had a good talk. The last 15 minutes we kind of strayed from the subject and talked football. My team, the Cincinnati Bengals, are in the process of making some potentially big free agent signings. Still just taking it day by day. Luckily still haven't really had too many cravings lately.

Definitely still having some anxiety about this damn liver situation. The pains are still there even after 17 days which obviously has me concerned. They are still dull and just more uncomfortable than anything else but nonetheless still there. I wish I could say they've gotten better but they really haven't at least not very much. Still looking for others that may have had this problem when stopping....

Anyways other than that had a really good lunch today. Ate some things I shouldn't have but I've been eating pretty darn healthy these days since stopping. I've already managed to lose 12lbs which is encouraging. I've got a feeling a lot of that was simply water weight but it still makes you feel good.

I've got a long 12 or so days until my next blood test and I know everyday I get closer I'll be a little more anxious to see how the results come back in regards to my liver. Hopefully I get the okay from my doctor to begin to workout again because I've been itching to get back to lifting. I found a pretty hardcore trainer that isn't going to ***** foot around with me. My goal is to lose 60lbs in 6 months which at my age isn't that hard. I lost 150lbs back in HS over a period of about 12-14 months.

Anyways everyone have a great day and thanks again.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have excatly the same type of pains. On the back below the sholder blade on the right. I can only guess it is my liver or pancreas. Need to see docs soon.

Keep us updated with any news with you. Thanks
Old 03-11-2010, 10:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Have you asked about gallbladder . I no the gallbladder has a number of symptoms like dull aches people confuse with the liver also can have extreme pains in right abdomin or back between the shoulder blades. doc told me liver doesn t hurt it can swell which is bloated feeling behind right ribs im not a doc and you should ask him could be a number of diffrent things stay strong I did a flush and passed about twenty or more stones stay strong
Old 03-14-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey everyone!

It's update time. I'm officially at three weeks today! WOO! It hasn't been an easy road. This is when it started to get a little tougher last time and I've been having some pretty strong cravings the past couple of nights. Although I know it is just my mind F-ing with me and nothing more that so I just tell it to F-off itself. I even was cleaning up some old cases of beer I'd meant to get to and found a full beer. Almost opened it, well I did, but I dumped it out. The mind was running telling me its just the one beer and you can't even get anymore at this hour but just said forget it I know what it'll lead too.

Anyways lately I've been eating pretty healthy and as I have mentioned lost a little over 12 pounds in these three weeks of not drinking. My beer belly of a gut has shrank quite a bit so I am very pleased with that. However last night I kind of celebrated my three weeks a little early got a Italian sub with all the fixings, an order of fries, and some jalapeno bottle caps (which are freaking amazing by the way). Ha by the way I'm still not craving sugar. I kind of don't get it but oh well.

Moving on. I have another appointment with my addiction therapist this coming Wednesday and I'm looking forward to that. A couple things have come up that I'd like to get off my chest and see what he has to say about them. I think I might take one of his addiction classes he teaches at the University I attend.

Now for the only bit of bad news. Still having these freaking abdomen pains located in the area of my liver. Hopefully it isn't my liver but it is definitely seems to be where I'd think it is. I see my doctor not this Monday but the next for another blood test and just an overall check up to see how I'm doing. These next 8 days aren't going to go fast enough to see those results.

Thanks SCAMY and Aaron for letting me know the symptoms you had or were having. It does help to ease my mind. Aaron most of my pain seems to be in my abdomen not my back. However I have a little bit of back pain but it seems more like kidney pain. Luckily that probably isn't the case since my kidney blood test came back normal when I first saw my doc. I haven't asked about my gallbladder but had thought about it and certainly will next time I see my doctor if the pains are still there especially if my liver enzymes are normal. I'm sure it's nothing more than anxiety and like I've said before I know no matter what the case with these pains the best thing I can do is continue to avoid the booze.

Anyways just wanted to update everyone. Thanks again!
Old 03-14-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear you dumped the beer Zandre - and glad to know you've seen the Dr. about that pain.

Keep on keeping us updated, ok?

D
Old 03-31-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. It's been a little while since I last updated this thread so I figured I'd take the time now. If my counting is correct today 38 days sober for me. So just over 5 weeks. This is the longest I've been sober since I started making drinking a regular thing on weekends when I was 17-18ish. Everyday I'm feeling better and better with the exception of the past couple of days. However that is just because I seem to have a touch of the flu/food poisoning but it seems to be getting better.

Unfortunately since I turned up sick on Monday I missed my first day of classes getting back into school but it turned out alright. I went in today and discovered all each professor had really done was go over the syllabus which is what I suspected. I'm taking three classes just to ease myself into school once again. I figured it'd be a good idea not to overwhelm myself causing a stressful trigger that might lead to me drinking again. If anyone is interested I'm a history and political science double major. I'm currently taking American History III, American Politics III, and English Comp II. All of my professors seem pretty cool and laid back but one is originally German with a very strong accent and I can tell it'll be a bit of struggle in his class.

Anyways moving on from school life. I saw my doctor a little over a week ago. He seemed to think, as he stated the first time I saw him to detox, that I am and should be totally fine if I can kick this drinking problem for good. He took another LFT blood test and I never got the results. I just decided to take the ole' thought process that no news is good news mainly because I can be quite a hypochondriac and am naturally a very anxious person. I just figure if it was really bad I would have gotten a call. The only bad news is I am still having these dull pains, mainly when lying down in bed, on my right side in the general area of my liver. They seem to have gotten better and are more or less just a pressure. I asked my doctor about it and he doesn't seem too concerned. He told me it is more than likely my liver is enlarged/inflamed and it'll take more than a couple of weeks for that to reverse itself. If it isn't better in 3 months time I'll go back and speak with him again. I also got the okay to begin working out again and am planning on finding a gym nearby to get myself back into shape and regain some of that confidence I use to have.

Other than that I'm just doing good. I'd like to say to everyone out there that is early in recovery or contemplating getting sober that it is well worth the work. Especially some of you that might be younger (ie. 20's) because I know it seems like the norm to drink and party at our age but it doesn't have to be. Sure you might have to skip a couple parties here and there but really what are you missing? A bunch of drunk kids, for the most part making, a fool of themselves? Your life, family, career, whatever it is you value is more important whether you see that or not. The sooner you see this the better off in life you'll be. I'm still very early in this myself and know I will have to fight this the rest of my life but it gets easier day by day.

Thanks again to everyone here for all the support. Don't know where I'd be without all of you.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey Zandre, good to hear that you are doing well. I'm in my mid 20s and yes, for me it does seem like i'm missing a good time and what not with my friends at parties or bars. Congrats on day 38! Today is actually day 30 for me but school just started for me too and i'm a bit overwhelmed. I'm about to hit a meeting at 5 then get some groceries and lastly hit the gym. Oh, then I have homework and studying to do. Then tomorrow, I get to do the whole routine over again. I feel like i'm in a rut or something. This is not good.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hey everyone.

I haven't updated this thread in a long time so I figured I should. Anyways my first day of this attempt of sobriety was February 23rd if I am remembering correctly. So I believe I am at around 10 weeks sober now. Woo! I think this time is finally sticking. I know it is going to be something that I will have to battle my entire life but this time it feels a lot different than previous attempts. For the first time I just do not want a drink at all. Unlike previous attempts where I knew in the back of my mind I wanted to start drinking again. I don't know it is hard to explain but some of those that have experienced a decent amount of time sober hopefully know what I mean.

To those that are new IT IS WORTH IT. My life is 100 times better than it was. I am back in school getting excellent grades and for the first time in a while I am myself again. Even though you've probably heard it a lot it does get easier and in the end you'll be much happier.

Anyways I just wanted to update everyone. Hope all is well. Stay Strong.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Zandre, thanks for the update!

It sounds like you're doing really well.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:52 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Was wondering if you fell off the wagon? Wagon always come back around again if you want to get back on. I think that people who are into music often feel deeper than other people, which is why so many people in the industry struggle with addiction. Feel better. SR is here for you!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

People leave this site for all manner of reasons Kilt...it would be a mistake (and I think a little pessimistic) to assume that everyone who leaves SR has gone back to drinking or using.

Some people leave to enjoy their new sober lives...others stay and post every day - others drop by and post rarely. It's all good

I hope Zandre's doing well
D
Old 01-10-2011, 12:49 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee. SR is a wonderful form of support and when people do leave I always think positive because I know since getting sober and into recovery - I live again.

What you will also find are folks who haven't posted in months/years and come back and share how amazing their lives have been and so forth

Good stuff and I personally no longer come to SR to maintain sobriety but because I enjoy helping others and I have a community of pals here who I care about and vice versa.

I probably won't be on as much as my life changes but I would hope that folks wouldn't think I negatively though. Just part of growing.....and enjoying the fruits our labor if you will.

All the best!!