Notices

Alcohol and your Finances?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

AFM, what pray tell is a "ghetto Christmas check"?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by a fallen man View Post
70 dollars per week on 2 large bottles of vodka. sometimes 3 bottles but 2 on average.
Dang...I should have drank vodka...much cheaper;-p
Old 08-23-2010, 09:30 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

What I spent on booze certainly changed each week. I wouldn't say I spent THAT much on booze cause I would try to do it pretty cheap with a 30 pack of coors light and a 20 dollar 1.75 handle of vodka (about $44 total) and that would last me two weeks or so, maybe three weeks. Then another 30 pack by itself, would then run into the next month....so maybe around $2/day for my addiction, which is pretty cheap in perspective. BUT ------ it was the way I was drinking that was the problem and the results of getting drunk (poor decisions, poor resposibility, sleepiness, hungover) that really took the toll. So, it is hard to try to coorelate how much with how bad.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:35 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Gosh, if I take into account the opportunity cost of missed opportunities due to alcohol I will give myself nightmares!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:37 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

If I could get back all those sick days I used because I was too hung over to go into work.......I would be able to take a vacation.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:43 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by recycle View Post
AFM, what pray tell is a "ghetto Christmas check"?
yes, inquiring minds NEED to know, LOL:rotfxko
Old 08-23-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Not only did I waste an obscene amount of money on alcohol, I also lived off savings for the past few years which let me avoid getting a job. So now the savings is gone and I'm scrambling to find employment. Grrrrrrrr. Stupid Stephanie.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

no, Stephanie is smart enough to realize what happened and is working to correct the problem and move forward...wish you the best towards finding a job.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:30 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hey Stephanie...I did the same thing, but not only did I live off savings but I also lived off credit! It will take me awhile to get my finances back in shape but at least they are going in the right direction again!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

sorry folks.....we in the commonwealth (kentucky is one of four commonwealths) sometimes refer to our income tax return as a 'ghetto christmas check'

i'm one of those folks that has too much taxes taken out and get a big check back....the undisciplined way of saving money.

i still have quite a bit left and it's near september. most years it would be gone by now.

massachusets is also a commonwealth. extra points to the person that came name the other 2 without googling them.

(p.s.....i know them..lol)
Old 08-23-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Dang...I should have drank vodka...much cheaper;-p
la femme.....i had times where i tried to slow down on the vodka and ended up buying LARGE BOXES of pinot grigio.....

but i always ended back with 90 proof smirnoff vodka.

to me it was the most bang for it's buck.

i'd pour it into a 20 oz water bottle and drink about that much every night. some nights i'd pass out with a few oz. left. i'd just refill the next day.

i tried cheaper vodka but it would leave me even sicker than the smirnoff would.

i honestly don't miss it.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Sorry...I have very dark sense of humor...vodka or boxed wine doesn't matter I'm glad we are both done with it.

Virginia is a Commonwealth and I want to say Rhode island is a plantation and Commonwealth...but I'm.not sure on that one.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

thanks for the explanation! I kind of like that phrase....I also get a "ghetto Christmas check" every year too...(because of the properties mortgage interest etc)....and the thought of having to PAY taxes is just so depressing!

I did not even think about commonwealths....all I know is that NJ is one of the MOST expensive states to live...car insurance, real estate taxes...they chew away at my income....it costs me $600.00 per year just to park my car at my job..they deduct it right out of my paycheck along with union dues (which re $60. per month).

I will give my accountant a chuckle with that phrase....
Old 08-24-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by a fallen man View Post
la femme.....i had times where i tried to slow down on the vodka and ended up buying LARGE BOXES of pinot grigio.....

but i always ended back with 90 proof smirnoff vodka.

to me it was the most bang for it's buck.

i'd pour it into a 20 oz water bottle and drink about that much every night. some nights i'd pass out with a few oz. left. i'd just refill the next day.

i tried cheaper vodka but it would leave me even sicker than the smirnoff would.

i honestly don't miss it.
same here. I used to abhor vodka. I would never drink it. Then I realized it was cheap, could be mixed with anything, and no smell on my breath. I am so glad it's gone now.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
same here. I used to abhor vodka. I would never drink it. Then I realized it was cheap, could be mixed with anything, and no smell on my breath. I am so glad it's gone now.
BTW, that 'no smell' on your breath thing is a myth. People who drink vodka reek just as much as anyone else when you have had that much. You may have just assumed nobody noticed you were drinking cause they were too afraid to call you out on it. I know I would not be the first one to turn to a coworker and shout out "wow...drinking at 9am are we?"
Old 08-24-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I was on an exceptionally tight budget, but always managed to pick up bottles of cheap wine on the way back from work.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
cb1

***BUMP****

i love this thread!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Recently, $15 per day for a pint of scotch or gin or a bunch of nips. I stopped buying large bottles because I would get angry at myself at the end of a night of drinking, and throw it away.

Weekends, an extra $20-$30 for two drinks while out to lunch or dinner, plus the $15 for the pint or nips.

In short, wasted a lot of money that could have been used to pay down debt.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

roughly $125.00 per week..say 4 weeks in a month for simplicty...$500.00 per month or $6,000. per year...conservative estimate.

I have saved a lot of $$ since i stopped pouring it down my throat too.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
God either is, or He isn't.

Alcohol was only the priority for me... I'd get it any way I could and do whatever was necessary. Thank God I don't have to live that way anymore and for the 9th Step financial amends. God is so good!