Notices

Rehab

Old 02-20-2010, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab

I did a rehab program twice in the fall, been in detox 3 times, the ER twice... all since late August. How many tries did it take any of you guys to figure it out? I thought I had it figured out, messed around with booze again and have slipped back to where I was when I started all this. I played with AA, but never dove in and worked the program. I'm wondering what will be different this time around. I think if I go all in with AA, I'll have a shot at beating this...
Old 02-20-2010, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dabears34 View Post
I did a rehab program twice in the fall, been in detox 3 times, the ER twice... all since late August. How many tries did it take any of you guys to figure it out? I thought I had it figured out, messed around with booze again and have slipped back to where I was when I started all this. I played with AA, but never dove in and worked the program. I'm wondering what will be different this time around. I think if I go all in with AA, I'll have a shot at beating this...
Keep it simple works for me,....

"don't pick up,....go to meeting"
Old 02-20-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was in rehab three times in early '08, and many detoxes at the ER. I think I've finally got it right. I surrendered to my alcoholism and won't fight it anymore cause it will always win. If I don't drink I won't fight a losing battle. I wish you the best.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My ex's brother just got out of another 3 month stint at the government funded rehab where he lives, it was his fourth time and they have a rule (dont ask me why 4) that you can only go 4 times and then you have to wait 5 years to go back so one of two things will happen, either he will stick around AA and do the real work and get sober or he will go back out and by some miracle live another 4 years after the year he usually has dry after rehab then process can begin again...he is 48 so maybe his body hasn't got that many more trips to the ICU in it though...let's see i guess?!

I know another guy that went to rehab 5 times before getting it in NA and has been sober a few years.

Yeah your best shot at sobriety is going to AA and be willing to do anything:-)
Old 02-21-2010, 04:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

dabears, IMO, you should work the 12 steps and get a sponsor. I used to think the steps where stupid........ "who the hell needs that??" Now I am a HUGE fan of them and absolutely encourage everyone to do them.

How can so many people be wrong??? Right?

Good luck, you can do this and you will get there. You have your determination and willingness going for you and that's GREAT!!!!!
Old 02-21-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi dabears. I remember participating in one of your posts when I first joined this site.

Originally Posted by dabears34 View Post
I did a rehab program twice in the fall, been in detox 3 times, the ER twice... all since late August...
Your own experience shows you that you need something more than just getting physically removed from booze or a short term rehab stint.

AA's Big Book is written from the perspective of the recovered alcoholic. It gives a lengthy description of their understanding of the nature of alcoholism, informed by their own experience with it. There were a few things in that description that resonated with my own experience.

The baffling nature of alcoholism is the utter inablity to leave it alone, regardless of the consequences we face. This is the insanity of the first drink. If I know what will happen to me when I pick up that first drink, why is it that would I pick it up? That's the insanity. That's the thing I have no power over. I can make the decision to stay sober, but I can not manage that decision. At some point, I crossed a line where the most sincere and powerful desire to never drink again was of no use to me.

AA suggests that if you have crossed that same line I did, a simple program of action, the 12 Steps, will solve your problem. Those actions will give you the needed power to conquer alcoholism.

You don't seem able to conquer it by doing what you are doing.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I was in rehab three times in early '08, and many detoxes at the ER. I think I've finally got it right. I surrendered to my alcoholism and won't fight it anymore cause it will always win. If I don't drink I won't fight a losing battle. I wish you the best.