SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I'm new here! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/195029-im-new-here.html)

DeadIrishD 02-18-2010 11:02 AM

I'm new here!

Hello,

I'm Dan and am an alcoholic in his earlier stages of recovery, I cannot tell you how long I have been sober for, as to count relapses can be controversial, so please allow me to sum it up like this;

I have been trying to quit drinking alcohol for a week, or two now I've had 2-3 relapses as of lately my last one being last night, I have decided to go sober when I had puked up blood, due to an earlier night of drinking, which was not unusual for me to do so, more of the fact that it was almost like coffee grinds, when asked some people what their take on this might have been I came to the conclusion, that this may or may not be internal bleeding.

During the sober days, I find myself having the shakes, and zoning in and out of consciousness quite a bit, almost as if it were tunnel vision, although these symptoms, may or may not be related to the lack of alcohol consumption, as I have not seen a doctor to discuss it with him.

Now I realize that many of you whom are reading this may be wondering why I am not seeking any help, with these symptoms and over coming my alcoholism problem, as many have asked before but I guess I am just stubborn in my mind set, that If I allowed myself to succumb to this, that I should be the one to drag myself out, well that and the fact that I have a phobia of needles, and yes I am aware that many do not like needles but this is far beyond just a dislike.

A few common questions that I get asked are as followed;

"Are you Irish?" Yes Irish is a major part of my herritege, and can still do this day be traced back to Cork, although I have never been there myself.

"Why did you pick that screen name?" I picked this as I felt it described me quite a bit really, as I have always taken pride in my roots; I have been feeling as if I were dead for quite some time too due to being numb from self medication; and the D aspect is for my name.

I was confused, as if this was where the introductions had belonged but after looking this site over, I figured that this would fit here far better then anywhere else, in my opinion.

Anna 02-18-2010 11:14 AM

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you decided to stop drinking.

I strongly suggest that you talk to your dr about your physical health.

And, you will find lots of support and information here.

intention 02-18-2010 11:22 AM

Hi and welcome and this is the right place to post.

You really do need some medical help. No-one is going to put a needle into you if you don't want it but you have to let the doctor know about your symptoms such as vomiting blood and withdrawal symptoms when you are sober.

Withdrawing without medical supervision can be fatal in some cases. Please get help. You can't do this on your own.

Ireland truly is a beautiful country. I am of Irish heritage too and have been privilidged to visit there. Perhaps you will go to Cork one day to. You can have a truly rewarding and fulfilling life beyond your wildest dreams if you get sober.
Take care.

Fubarcdn 02-18-2010 11:28 AM

Welcome to SR D. :welcome
I hope the detoxing goes smoothly for you. Do you have someone keeping an eye on you?

DeadIrishD 02-18-2010 11:36 AM

Thank-You for the warm welcomes.

Due to the fact that I have allowed alcohol to take everything from me, I'm living with my mom, so yes I do have someone to keep an eye out for me, I just cannot talk to her about what I am dealing with, as she herself is an alcoholic.

Hevyn 02-18-2010 11:39 AM

Pleased to meet you, Dan. I am worried about your symptoms. If at all possible I hope you will see a doctor & get evaluated. I didn't when I was withdrawing & was later told I could have had a stroke or heart attack. We don't want to lose you, Dan.

Portsmouth - a lovely place. Your heritage is the same as my (now dead) husband's. His family was from Cork too. We always dreamed of visiting, but his alcoholism prevented him from following so many of his dreams at a young age.

We're glad you found us and hope to hear alot more from you. Finding SR gave me great comfort and the courage to change. I hope you find that to be the case, too. We care about you.

sev 02-18-2010 11:40 AM

Welcome, Dan. You're amongst friends. :grouphug:

augustwest 02-18-2010 11:42 AM

Whoa bro, i would encourage you to see a doctor. And welcome to SR. You never have to drink again.

CarolD 02-18-2010 11:50 AM

:wavey:
Welcome to our recovery community

least 02-18-2010 11:51 AM

Welcome to SR! :welcome I too will urge you to see a doctor for your symptoms. As others have said, withdrawal from alcohol can be very dangerous. A doctor can help make sure your withdrawal is safe and can make you more comfortable during your detox.

Please get medical help. And as to your mother... you could be an example to her of the benefits of living sober. :)

Fandy 02-18-2010 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by DeadIrishD (Post 2519831)
Hello,

I have been trying to quit drinking alcohol for a week, or two now I've had 2-3 relapses as of lately my last one being last night, I have decided to go sober when I had puked up blood, due to an earlier night of drinking, which was not unusual for me to do so, more of the fact that it was almost like coffee grinds, when asked some people what their take on this might have been I came to the conclusion, that this may or may not be internal bleeding.

respectfully snipped for space.

welcome Dan, please, please consider going to the emergency room for some tests, not allowed to give advice, but it's really in your best interest.:ghug3

DeadIrishD 02-18-2010 12:29 PM

If things do not look up soon, I'll go and get some help.

Fandy 02-18-2010 12:33 PM

let your feet be like wings, Sahib.....( i saw that in a movie when I was a kid)...

Lenina 02-18-2010 12:34 PM

Dan,

Welcome to SR! This is great place for information, support and good advice. I'm with the others here who have suggested getting to a doctor. If your Mom is also an alcoholic, she may not be able to properly look after you.

Love,

Lenina

Dee74 02-18-2010 12:43 PM

Hi Dan

Lots of good advice here - why wait? :)
I have a dread phobia of needles too but I refuse to let it impact my well being anymore.
Needle or no, get some professional advice, Dan :)

Welcome to SR!
D

MeAndOnlyMe 02-18-2010 04:57 PM

Irish blood here in the US. There are plenty of sober Irish folk so don't let heritage be a crutch. Choose what you want to do and know, at a minimum, that this forum will be here for you.