SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Cure for colds and flu: Orange Juice (and Stoli) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/194962-cure-colds-flu-orange-juice-stoli.html)

Houndheart 02-17-2010 11:36 AM

Cure for colds and flu: Orange Juice (and Stoli)

Now that I finally signed up here, I am excited to share some stupid s**t I've been up to lately (well, over a month ago)....

I caught a cold around Chistmastime....and I actually used to kind of like it when I got sick, because I felt so lousy that I would stop drinking. Once a year, I would have a cold or the flu, and it would dry me out for one week. Big whoop.

Anyway, like I was saying I caught this cold around Christmas. My beverage of choice has been white wine. But since I was sick, I figured that Orange Juice would be good for me. So this time around, I stopped the wine for a week, and instead figured it would be really healthy to drink Orange Juice...........with Stoli in it....a Half a quart of Vodka a night. Man oh man....great cure. Sick and hungover. So brilliant. :)

Astro 02-17-2010 11:46 AM

Interesting. Instead of drying out I'd always try to drink through my illnesses, and I actually believed that it worked, like alcohol cured me or killed off the bacteria or virus or whatever. Yeahhhh rightttt!!!

I have a family member who believes that mixing cranberry juice with vodka turns it into a healthy drink that's good for your liver and urinary tract :lmao

All just part of the insanity and lie of this disease as far as I'm concerned :wink:

Lenina 02-17-2010 12:13 PM

Oh gosh, I did the same thing! I drank cheap white wine but when I had a cold I'd get some brandy! How nuts is that?

Very glad we don't have to do that stuff today!

Love,

Lenina

Fandy 02-17-2010 12:28 PM

I have truthfully done all of the above at some point and used the same reasoning in my head.

vegibean 02-17-2010 12:52 PM

LOL Houndheart. Been there, done that. ;)

Not that it's really funny, but you know, the things we justify.......Oiy!!!!

least 02-17-2010 01:04 PM

It's amazing what we do to feed (and justify) our addictions, isn't it?

Houndheart 02-17-2010 01:11 PM

I was feeling kinda tired with a scratchy throat last week...and was over some friend's house...and they offered me Rock N' Rye as a cure for the throat. I reminded them that I quit drinking, and they told me this wasn't drinking..it would make me feel better. Time to spend time with folks that get it and will be supportive.

Lenina 02-17-2010 01:15 PM

Houndheart,

Try some hot water with lemon and honey. It works for me with the scratchy throat. Or gargle warm salt water.

And do hang with your sober friends!

Love,

Lenina

Houndheart 02-17-2010 01:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

jamdls 02-17-2010 01:38 PM

My ex was convinced that scotch cured everything and for him (he was/is not an alkie) it seemed to work. I don't think I ever drank when I was sick but I was most often sick when I drank