Notices

Switching Up Liquor Stores

Old 02-17-2010, 04:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Switching Up Liquor Stores

So I was just thinking about how I was starting to go to three different liquor stores during the week (because I would only buy one bottle a day, so as to LIMIT myself...to only 1.5L of wine! great.) so that the owners wouldn't think I had a drinking problem. Like they cared. I cared more about if they cared, than if I cared about the amount of booze I was drinking? I mean, WTF? If you know what I mean....
Old 02-17-2010, 04:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yeah, I know what you mean... I used to wonder what they thought of me coming to the drive thru at 8am to get a bottle of wine! Just glad I don't have to do that anymore.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can also identify with the liquor store rotation. I don't know who I thought I was kidding. Somehow it made me feel better though.

I used to buy miniature flavored vodkas at lunch hour from work.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I know a lot of folks in AA who share just what you all speak of, they went way out of thier way to never buy at the same place twice in a week.

I just did not care, I bought in one or two places daily.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

wow, it's like everyone here has been following me....I always rotated my stores too. I wonder if they notice I've been gone since last week?
Old 02-17-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did that, too, thinking I was protecting my image??
Old 02-17-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hound, I rotated too. I can even remember a couple other things on that note: at least once I would return bottles for recycling at one store and buy the new stuff at a different one. And when I knew a holiday weekend was right around the corner, at least once I would get one case at one store, then a second at a different store.

Fandy, I have thought the same thing a few times. I almost felt bad for not helping to pay their tuition (or whatever). No more standing there wondering if they are judging me or snickering after I go anymore. Ironically I haven't focused on this subject that much, but it is kind of a "sweet bonus"

Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 09:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had lost my license so I had to buy from a local store. I ain't been in that store for over 7 motnhs now!! Feels great!! I bet they wonder where that alkie kid has gone!!

I used to like that shop as they had no morals, they would serve me super strength at 7.30 AM when I was steaming drunk. I dropped a wrap of Coke on the counter once too, but they never said nothing and just served me more booze! Felt pretty low going in there when I was sober and buying but when I was drunk I couldn't give a sh*t.

Glad I don't live like that anymore.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Neo, I love it, glad you're off that road too. Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 09:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh, I remember that: the liquor store shuffle!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I can see doing the liquor store rotation. But I didn't bother with that. One little store I frequented used to have the bottle ready and bagged up the second I walked in the door. Thank goodness that's over.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love when I identify.........awesome post!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is funny, in the last year i used to go to the garage and buy my booze there to avoid the stores, i always used to go in as mad as hell and get the stuff, take it to the counter and then they would say something in spanish which i would intepret as making a comment about my alcohol so would mutter something along the line of spanish bastards this is a dump etc and off i would trot with my 2 bags muttering all the way...how insane is that? They were probably saying something like hows your day been, but hey even if they had said it in english they would have probably got the same treatment...funny looking back hehe

Oh yeah and everyday this would happen, they only served low grade cava at garage and in spain they call it champagne, so i would make a point to point out EVERY day i went in that it is NOT champagne and how they were all poor and peasants...again off i would trot 'happily' muttering to myself lol
Old 02-17-2010, 11:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good to know that I am not the only one, and yes, good to not have to be worrying about that now. Yeagr8---not to be ignornat, but really curious...what's a "garage"?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

[Fondest memorys..Lived on a small island with one shop..If You needed grog that was it, but was cool cause a good portion of the population were closet..And openly happy
to be perceived for what we/they were P/HEADS, kind of class structure non existant here..COOL REALLY..that way Sometimes turnin up 2 or 3 times within hours for more
top ups,always greeted with a freindly smile and service.. afterall you were supporting local industry and employment..I GUESS. :rotfxko one mans poison anothers wage.FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]
Old 02-17-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeahgr8 Or they could have been inviting you to the event of your life.

Last edited by LadyLuck; 02-17-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: missing text
Old 02-17-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Can so relate and thought only I did that.
Never wanted anyone to know how much I drank, so would visit a variety of stores when I was drinking, so they wouldn't know the amount that I ingested.
Haven't been to a certain store in awhile and went in there a few weeks ago to buy the paper. The clerk asked, where I have been and commented on how I would come in to buy beer often. Who was I fooling?
Old 02-17-2010, 12:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I did the same! The shame ran pretty deep in me so I had to switch it up. I even used cash instead of the debit card! Oh, I was a sick puppy! The really good news today is I can proudly go into any store that sells alcohol and not worry about it!

There really is more in common with us all than there is differences!

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-17-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I would stock up and buy lots of wine all at once.....chitty-chat about "pahties" I was having....yeah, right...the only guest is my liver.

I only go to the liquor store after work, with my make-up on and to complete my facade i make sure I have some groceries.

I could never figure out why my BF enabled me? he would go to the "liquor warehouse" on occasion and buy me cases...was it to A). shut me up? B) be nice so I wouldn't have to pay and carry it?.....He knew how much I liked to drink and often commented on it.

But my reasoning is that it was a totally different store and I was less likely to make my regular rounds.

Does anyone wonder what the Recycling Man thinks when he empties your can full of wine bottles?:wtf2
Old 02-17-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Houndheart View Post
Good to know that I am not the only one, and yes, good to not have to be worrying about that now. Yeagr8---not to be ignornat, but really curious...what's a "garage"?
garage is the english equivalent of a gasoline station...or garage can also mean a car repair shop...in my post i meant the gasoline station (where you put petrol in your car):-)