SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Detox (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/194921-detox.html)

Carrie36 02-16-2010 07:24 PM

Detox

I've never suffered any serious detox symptoms. I've always wondered why considering how much ive drank and for how long. Is that typical? I mean to be an alcoholic for decades and yet not suffer the horrible debilitating withdrawel detox symptoms described?

Is it because I dont drink every day maybe...? I dont think that is it though. Just curious why that is.

coffeenut 02-16-2010 07:48 PM

I don't know the answer to that....I think it's different for everyone.

I drank everyday...but didn't suffer Horrible detox symptoms...others will. Consulting a doctor is Always the best way to go. Detox can be fatal.

CarolD 02-16-2010 08:47 PM

Gee....I don't know why ....but......:cheer

ghal 02-16-2010 10:01 PM

I drank every day and I never went through DTs if that is what you are referring to. I did, however, deal with the sweats, irritability, sleepless nights and the shakes many times. I think it's diffferent for everyone but I know that the DTs can come if I drink again and they will not if I don't. If you still drink, don't think you are immune to them showing their ugly face

Toronto68 02-16-2010 10:29 PM

Carrie, I haven't experienced a lot of symptoms since I quit 90 days ago. A few but pretty "small-time". That was one of the reasons that I came in here, because I wanted to see what the heck was going on, why wasn't there an awful psychological aftermath or scary physical stuff. I can't offer any worthwhile medical advice - not within the rules either, for obvious reasons. I wonder if your doctor has said anything on the topic? Anyway, that is my experience so far, and I was an everyday drinker, put the garbage down my throat till drunk no matter what it tasted like or how worn out it eventually made me look in my face. I'm not an Adonis, but I am not a used trash can either, so I have my own sense of vanity...I can remember asking myself years ago how much more time I could still look my age or look good and get away with still drinking, and that was a sad thing for me. I'm lucky and grateful I am where I am now, not drinking. I hope you will reach what you want for yourself too.

Fandy 02-17-2010 02:07 AM

night before last i couldn't sleep..had been awake since 230am...should be very tired as i've been ill and have headache...welll i've been tossing and turning after getting 3 hours of sleep tonight and wondering if i should pour myself a shot of something to help me sleep...(therefore ruining my one day of sobriety). I opted to tough it out with a tylenol for the headache, a b vitamin and glass of seltzer.

i've been ill with a stomach virus since last saturday both upper/lower GI, the last thing i need to do is abuse myself more. i see that others don't sleep at night too, for some reason that makes me feel better, although i certainly don't wish anyone insomnia like i have. I have to get up for work at 6am.

Tazman53 02-17-2010 03:18 AM

I would STRONGLY suggest you speak to your doctor and tell your Dr. the entire truth about your drinking.

I will share with you my medical detox experience:

Day 1 I walked into detox, they gave me a physical and then a fist full of pills, I asked what they were for & the nurse said, some are for anxiety, a bunch of them are vitamins, some were for blood pressure, & some were for other things. Every 2 hours they took my blood pressure and checked me for the shakes, then they gave me more pills.

Day 2 basically the same as day 1, Every 2 hours they took my blood pressure and checked me for the shakes, then they gave me more pills.

Day 3 basically the same as day 1 & 2, Every 2 hours they took my blood pressure and checked me for the shakes, then they gave me more pills, one very important difference one day 3...... about half way through the day when they checked me for the shakes my hands were shaking pretty good.............. the nurse said "Looks like we need to up your seizure meds!". I said "Seizure meds? You did not tell me I was on seizure meds!" The nurse told me that I had been on them since I walked in the door.

In other words even though I had been on seizure meds since day 1, the shakes did not show up until the 3rd day, I have no idea what would have happened with out all the meds, they did tell me that things did not get real bad until day 3 or 4 for many people.

If you have not seen your Dr. and been TOTALLY honest with him yet about your drinking you really should...... This could be a matter of life & death!!!

Yes for some people withdrawal from alcohol can kill them.

Every person is different, for some withdrawals may not kick in for 2-4 days.

How long has it been since you had a drink or drug?

least 02-17-2010 04:41 AM

Withdrawal from alcohol can be anywhere from mildly annoying to life threatening, ie, the DTs (delirium tremens). Medical supervision during detox is a smart move to avoid complications.

smacked 02-17-2010 03:22 PM

I never did either.. and I drank enough to kill myself on most nights. Yuck!

Fandy 02-17-2010 06:08 PM

I was sooo tired when i left work at 530pm, but still unable to sleep now. i don't feel anxious, i'm not shaking, but i am so thirsty, i've consumed over 7 large cups of herbal tea today, gingerale, seltzer and i'm not in the bathroom every 5 mins.

one thing *new* as i'm approaching day 3...my legs and glutes are sore like i spent hours at the gym and my back hurts...i'm using a heating pad and stretching it out. I am taking my HTN meds as i should so my HR andBP are normal and i resumed my anti-seizure meds yesterday...i had gone off of the Topamax because it was making me forgetful.....(or so i told myself when i truly screwed up ordering a Board Exam).

no creepy hallucin. but still hear the wierd music with the car heater on(tonite it was a choir)...but only on the way home from work and only on a certain road....if i run into trouble i am fortunate to have physician support anytime. (my X is a cardiologist and would admit me)...but i really don't feel that crappy.

most importantly, i don't feel the URGE to drink and i have it available somewhere here in a closet. i just want a good night's sleep. i beleive it will come eventually.

AceDace 02-17-2010 06:39 PM

Well the problem I have when I give up drinking totally is I get convulsions, to the point where I wake up every five minutes. My head just jerks totally. I have even stopped worrying about it, it happens so often.

I have read advice on this site and others, and went to the doctors last month. I explained my problem, and said I was on a low income and every few often times ran out of money was genuinely scared about DTs and all. I said I wanted to give up and would like to have a prescription of benzodiazepans to help.

He absloutely refused, saying alcoholics use them to help them drink. I live in the UK by the way. He just offered anti-deppresants. I even said fair enough, prescribe me them once, and obviously if I abuse them you can obviously not give me any more if I ask for them. But no luck.

And I know I can do it, I went 6 months off last year after drinking an average of 6 litres of ciders a day for five years :( Sorry for the long post, just feel kind of angry. I'll just have to try to weane myself off

Toronto68 02-17-2010 07:04 PM

Ace, I have no idea what the doctor meant. Is that the only doctor you can see? I won't be any good with medical advice obviously, but I hope you will get there. Hope I see you again here too.

Fandy 02-17-2010 07:21 PM

Do you mean no luck taking them? or no luck in not stopping drinking. Did your doctor address your convulsions? can you see someone more sympathetic (or experienced) in a free clinic setting or sliding fee scale? i hope so.

yeahgr8 02-17-2010 07:31 PM

Who cares? Maybe a more pertinent question would be how i am going to maintain long term sobriety and which program of recovery am i going to use?

flutter 02-18-2010 10:45 AM

no detox symptoms or withdrawals here, I was drinking at least a 5th of vodka a day at the end. quit cold turkey, haven't looked back.

Doesn't really matter in the long run how much anyone drinks or how horrible they might feel sobering up from it, it can ruin my life just as easily, and I'm glad I took the steps I had to to live a new life.

intention 02-18-2010 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by AceDace (Post 2519228)
I explained my problem, and said I was on a low income and every few often times ran out of money was genuinely scared about DTs and all. I said I wanted to give up and would like to have a prescription of benzodiazepans to help.

He absloutely refused, saying alcoholics use them to help them drink. I live in the UK by the way. He just offered anti-deppresants. I even said fair enough, prescribe me them once, and obviously if I abuse them you can obviously not give me any more if I ask for them. But no luck.

Hi and welcome.

I suggest you go back to your GP. Perhaps try a different GP in yours is a practice.

Instead of asking for benzos, which they are going to turn you down for, explain to the doctor what withdrawal symptoms you are having such as convulsions and ask for some help detoxing. Avoid asking for a prescription for a certain med - I find that really gets some GPs backs up. They like to be the ones who decide what you need.

Other than that if you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms go to your nearest A&E or Walk in Centre.

By the way, your low income is irrelevant as all healthcare is free. They will treat you regardless.

Please try again and ask for help.