SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   where to start (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/194892-where-start.html)

newwayoflife 02-16-2010 12:41 PM

where to start

This is so hard for me to even try and talk about but here I go...the guilt is beginning to be tooo much. I am a 35 year old mommy of two adorable children and have a great husband. So I started taking loratabs two years ago from a prescription for pain. I am still receiving those refills but I am also buying extras in between, and friends and family don't know. I am a stay at home mom and I can feel the depression and guilt to beginning to build. I know how I feel when I don't have any pills. I don't know where to turn to get sober and I cannot believe I let it get to this point. I don't have money for fancy rehab and I know once I get over the initial physical withdrawal, I could do this. I just don't know how to start. I don't think I can stop cold turkey. Any advice?

Dee74 02-16-2010 01:35 PM

Hi newwayoflife

Welcome to SR :)

I've never used lortabs but I recommend you see a Dr first off. It's always important to get professional advice.

We also have a substance abuse forum here that you may be interested in as well

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Finally - have you thought of going regularly to NA? I think face to face support can be very important.

D

least 02-16-2010 01:36 PM

Can you talk to your doctor about getting safely and comfortably thru withdrawal? I don't know anything about pills (I was a wino) but we have a substance abuse forum here where the people would be glad to share their knowledge and experience with you.

Welcome to SR! :grouphug:

Impurrfect 02-16-2010 03:02 PM

((Newwayoflife))

Welcome to SR!

As ((Dee)) pointed out, there is a substance abuse forum. There are many people, there, who have quit opiates cold turkey. It is recommended that you see a dr. first.

From what I've read here, it's like having a really bad case of the flu - for 7-10 days, and lack of energy for a month or so.

As with any drug, it's not the stopping that's the hard part - it's the STAYING stopped when life gets tough. I'm a recovering crack addict, but have abused various opiates in the past and I could put down drugs quite easily...not picking them back up was the hard part.

I think if you read around in the substance abuse forum, you'll probably find a lot of info that you're looking for...any questions, please ask. There are a lot of supportive people here.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

newwayoflife 02-16-2010 03:43 PM

thank you

thank you for the replies already. I didn't expect that. Its nice to know there are people out there going through the same type of things. I will go check out the forum you recommended. Is there a particular doctor I should go to. I am too embarrassed to go to my general practicing doctor. He is the one that has prescribed them and I don't want him to feel bad or get in trouble? Again, thank you for taking the time to drop me a note. It means alot. My hubby is a recovering alcoholic and was in AA and I did al-anon so I am very familiar with the meetings. Just never been on this end. He has been sober 11 years, and I stood by him through alot. He even took tabs with me and then he stopped cold turkey but I continued. He thinks I stopped last summer when he did. I am afraid to tell him.

Impurrfect 02-16-2010 03:49 PM

Your doctor won't get in trouble, but if you don't want to go to him, you may want to check out an addictionologist - they specialize in addiction. Other than that, you may just want to get another GP to get checked out, make sure you are healthy before you embark on a cold-turkey.

BTW, I used AA instead of NA when I was going to meetings, even though alcohol wasn't an issue for me. I just felt more comfortable there, than in NA, but that was me.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

Anna 02-16-2010 04:56 PM

I think going to your regular dr would be the best thing to do. Then you can work on a plan to stop the drugs. And, remember that the shame and guilt you are feeling is part of addiction, and it can stop you from getting the help that you need.

I am glad that you are looking for support.