Notices

gambling advice needed

Old 02-14-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

gambling advice needed

the day before yesterday i lost a fortune on the machine. i was there playing untill closing time.
today they were closed.
but tomorrow they will be open. so i'm thinking about getting up early so i can be there at opening time.

the machine didn't pay me yesterday and in the meantime nobody else could have played it.

so the advice i need is: how wise would it be to go back first thing tomorrow morning to try and get my money back (even half of what i lost yesterday would make a significant diffrence to me). or should i just cut my losses?
i really don't know what to do. their's one voice in my head saying to go back and recuperate what i can. but there's also another voice telling me that if i loose allot of money again tomorrow then i'm really going to be in the **** - what with my rent and bills and stuff.
i don't know what i should do

i felt so bad today: a gambling hangover, is what i call it. all the guilt and resentment of a drinking/drugging binge but without the drink/drugs. immagine how bad i'm going to feel if i loose again tomorrow
Old 02-14-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

HI aldo...

..I never.ever won any thing that would cover my losses..

..IMO: give it the flick,I would,but it's your money,I hope!!

..thanks for posting...take care,maybe seek help..plenty members
here can tell some stories....I bet... lol Oz..
Old 02-14-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

something i forgot to mention is:
say i were to go back there tomorrow and win back even half of what i lost yesterday.
how long will it be untill i end up loosing all that again, and more?
i really want to quit but i can't. i'm hundreds of thousands under. and worst of all i'm broke!
i'd like to think of yesterays loss and todays hangover (even my cigarettes didn't taste good today) as a good motivation to quit. but the fact is i easily forget.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OZboy View Post
..I never.ever won any thing that would cover my losses..
me neither
actually, yesterday, after about 3 or 4 hours i had won it all back. i was even up a little bit. and untill then the voice in my head was saying "if i get this money back i'm never going to play ever again". but then the moment i was even the voice started saying "well, i've wasted 4 hours sitting here. what's the point in going now without earning a significant ammount". so i then put it all back in - and more.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You already know the answers here Aldo - we've been batting this back and forth for 2 years or more.

No one ever wins, mate - especially not when they're getting up to be there first thing and wondering what's an acceptable amount to lose.

if you're feeling bad, then doing what made you feel bad again, just to try and feel good? you're addicted.

Find a support group, Aldo.

D
Old 02-14-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Aldo,

Dee is right. You're feeling bad about what has happened and yet, you're planning to go back for more as soon as possible. That doesn't make sense.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

...how long will it be untill i end up loosing all that again, and more?
Tomorrow, if you go back tomorrow. The next day you do go back, when ever that is, really. You know that truth.
i really want to quit but i can't. i'm hundreds of thousands under. and worst of all i'm broke!
Sure you *can.* You don't *want* to -- yet. It hasn't hurt you enough yet. But, who else is being affected by your behavior? How much have they been hurt?
i'd like to think of yestedays loss...as a good motivation to quit. but the fact is i easy I forget.
Yep, that's typical of an addict. They never remember the problems they create for themselves and others. I'm not trying to be offensive. It's an honest observation from dealing with two addicts in my life - my husband and my son.

My *ex* husband is a gambler. He was always chasing his losses.
He chased them so much,
he almost lost our house -- twice!

The first time, I forgave him; we made a plan; and got out of debt.
We were already married 20 years, and I knew nothing, really, about addiction at the time. The second time, I said "good-bye." No one -- *no one* -- has the right to make me homeless, without my knowledge, through deceit and lies. :>(

You need help. It's available. The addiction you have is real. It's caused by the endorphines that are released when you gamble. The *rush* you get thinking "this is the *big* one; the one that's going to pay off big, and make up for all the losses." It's similar to a runner's high. But, you get it when you hit the machines or play the numbers or cards, or football squares, or whatever it is you do.

Get to counseling. You say you want to quit. Put your money where your mouth is. Or, you can end up like my ex. He's in a broken down trailer, living alone, can't retire, though he's had two major heart attacks. He's seriously depressed and talks about dying as a welcome relief. The IRS has attached his pay. I still get phone calls, (though we've been divorced over 10 years!), from companies for debt collection. And, I know for a fact he makes a dang good living! He earns more than I do, and I'm a professional. He's made his bed. He's made the choice not to get help. Sadly, he still could decide to get help, but, he won't.

You have the same choice facing you:
Recovery and relief is one way out. The other is debt, loneliness and people hounding you for the rest of your miserable life. Your future is in *your* hands. Which way you chose will determine your outcome.

Just don't say you "can't" quit. That's a cop-out. A lie.
We create our own destiny.

And we are here to support you.

Shalom!
Old 02-14-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks.
obviously it wouldn't have been a good idea to go back tomorrow.
those two voices in my head: one's rational. the other's totally insane. i never know which one to listen to.
thank you, my friends. good night.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i went by this afternoon, not to play, just to find out if it had paid.
i asked my friend the bartender and he said lots of people had played my machine, but nobody had won anything.
so it was just as well i didn't go there this morning to play.
thank you all. :ghug3