SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   lost in the fog (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/194716-lost-fog.html)

funkenstein 02-14-2010 12:47 PM

lost in the fog

Hello all! I'm new to the forum, and i believe i have an alcohol problem. I think my problem is different from a lot of other alcoholics out there. Or maybe not? Maybe you can help me decide!

I don't feel the urge to drink everyday. Okay, maybe i do, but the desire to live a happy, healthy lifestyle mostly blocks it out. However i still try to be a social drinker. But the thing is, even just drinking one or two beers have been known to put me in dense mental fog for days afterwards, often paired with extreme depression and irritability. Anymore, it seems that alcohol just makes me want to hide from people and my problems.

Is it normal for these mood swings and behaviors to stick around for days, even after only consuming small quantities of alcohol? It hasn't always been this bad, but as of lately it seems to be getting worse. All signs are pointing to giving up drinking completely, so that is why i'm here.

I expect a long hard road ahead of me.

Anna 02-14-2010 12:55 PM

Hi,

It sounds like alcohol is causing problems in your life.

That's what most of us here have faced and tried to deal with. You'll find lots of support here, and I hope you decide to live a sober life.

Astronomy 02-14-2010 12:56 PM

When I first began my road to recovery, upon entering AA, I was always on the lookout for differences between me and others. Now I hunt for what we share in common.

Seems as if you react to alcohol differently than many "social" drinkers. It has enough impact on your mind that you've found yourself here. I was depressed when I had been drinking, then found myself dry for a few days. I couldn't be happy w/o booze. AA, though, is teaching me how to do just that.

I'd recommend glancing through the opening sections of Alcoholics Anonymous's text: A.A. Big Book

Read through the Doctor's Opinion and keep going, if you like. You might find what you're looking for!

Anyway, welcome!

scaredykat 02-14-2010 12:59 PM

Hi funkenstein and welcome to SR. We're glad your here with us.

Only you can decide if your alcoholic or not. If you feel you have a problem with your drinking, then you probably do.

Keep reading and posting. There's a lot of good info on here and a lot of great people sharing their experiences.

coming_clean 02-14-2010 01:02 PM

why would you want to drink if it makes you feel all negative??
You DONT have to drink alcohol...itīs not a biological necessaty like eating, water and sleeping,ī

it should add something positive to your life...

It took me 13 years to figure out people would still like/dislike me without doing drugs...

least 02-14-2010 01:13 PM

The road to recovery can be rough sometimes, but it's really worth the effort to not feel the sickness that drinking brings. I've been trying to stay sober for going on three years now. I've screwed up too many times, but I know that each time I drank again I felt much worse and for several days. I'm determined to get it right this time as staying sober is so much better for me.

Welcome to SR! Glad you found us and joined the family!:grouphug:

intention 02-14-2010 01:33 PM

Hi and welcome to SR.

I didn't drink everyday. I am an alcoholic.

The fact that you are now getting more severe reactions to alcohol even in smaller quantities suggests that damage has been done in your body and brain. If you continue to drink, this will only get worse.

If a normal drinker had such a reaction that they felt bad for days afterwards, they would quit straight away. Normally we don't do things which make us feel so bad, time and time again. The fact that you are tells of the problem you have.
Keep in touch.

Dee74 02-14-2010 01:36 PM

Hi funkenstein

I agree with the others - if you find your drinking, whatever the volume or frequency, is causing you problems then it's time to do something about it :)

You've picked a good place and a good bunch of people to start doing that :)
Welcome!

D

redwine 02-14-2010 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by funkenstein (Post 2515731)
Hello all! I'm new to the forum, and i believe i have an alcohol problem. I think my problem is different from a lot of other alcoholics out there. Or maybe not? Maybe you can help me decide!

I don't feel the urge to drink everyday. Okay, maybe i do, but the desire to live a happy, healthy lifestyle mostly blocks it out. However i still try to be a social drinker. But the thing is, even just drinking one or two beers have been known to put me in dense mental fog for days afterwards, often paired with extreme depression and irritability. Anymore, it seems that alcohol just makes me want to hide from people and my problems.

Is it normal for these mood swings and behaviors to stick around for days, even after only consuming small quantities of alcohol? It hasn't always been this bad, but as of lately it seems to be getting worse. All signs are pointing to giving up drinking completely, so that is why i'm here.

I drank a bottle of wine every other day, clockwork, for around 5 years.

I WISH WISH WISH this site would deal with people who are not black-out-drinkers -- but who still know there is an issue.

Even two drinks now leads to unpleasant effects -- just physical malaise.

I've decided to forego it.