Notices

Reawakenings

Old 02-11-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reawakenings

I'm only 40something days into sobriety this time around, but each time I've gotten time under my belt, I have a experienced a reawakening of childhood interests that I have been driven to fulfil as an adult.

For example, remember the TV show "I Dream of Jeannie"? Growing up, we had a bottle just like hers, and I was fascinated with it. One day, though, I accidentally kicked over an ashtray and shattered the bottle to pieces. Heartbroken, I put the pieces in a box, intending to try and glue them back together again. When I returned home from school the next day, I found, to my horror, that my mom had thrown the box away, and it was in the community dumpster. I frantically rode my bike the mile or so to the dumpster and climbed in, searching for the broken bottle, but never found it.

In sobriety, that memory reawakened, and I discovered that I could find those bottles now on eBay, so I ordered one right away. When I received it, I slept with it close to my bed for awhile, so that it would be the first thing I saw upon awakening. It gave me a sense of completion and fufillment.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On my path.

Hi Nightstalker

1. Love the story.

2. I have been remembering things from the past. Mostly fun or funny things. I expect that this is happening because I am no longer hungover, exhausted from a lack of quality sleep, and obsessed with my shame at drinking again or obsessiong about that next drink. It frees up some brain space..ya know?

3. Glad you bought the bottle, I loved Dream of Jeannie too.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never done anything like that, but thanks for sharing that story NS

D
Old 02-11-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

2. I have been remembering things from the past. Mostly fun or funny things. I expect that this is happening because I am no longer hungover, exhausted from a lack of quality sleep, and obsessed with my shame at drinking again or obsessiong about that next drink. It frees up some brain space..ya know?
I am finding the longer I'm sober, the more I'm enjoying life. Still have bad days and problems, but such a relief not to always be drunk or sick from drinking. I'm enjoying things, little things, that used to seem far away and unreachable. Now that I'm no longer held down by the chains of alcohol addiction I can reach higher than I thought I could. The feeling of freedom is wonderful!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

With what little time I have been sober I definately have experienced this with regard to very old hobbies that I was good at and had stopped doing so I could pursue a ridiculous career as an addict for years. I am enjoying these awakenings AND life more each day that goes by.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am taking dance classes again. I stopped taking them when I was very young. Now I'm taking 3 classes since I've stopped drinking.

It's bizarre.