Notices

Detox?

Old 02-09-2010, 05:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox?

So, I read about people needing to "detox"--possibly with medical help, taking time off from work, etc.

Is that only when you get to a certain point?

I feel like a drink a lot, but it's usually in spurts of 2-3 days (around the weekends), then I take off 4-5 days (during the work week). After a good few days of binging, I might get night sweats, a little shaky, but it's gone in a day. I usually feel great after a day or two of not drinking (which is usually when the urge comes roaring back).

So, if I stop for a week, am I "detoxed"? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks for your insights!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Detox is getting thru the physical withdrawals, if you have any. It usually last several days. Medically supervised detox sometimes uses medication to reduce your chance of having a seizure or other problems asociated with alcohol withdrawal.

Some people don't have severe withdrawal, some really need medical intervention. I would strongly encourage you to talk to your doctor and enlist his help in getting your body detoxed from alcohol. Be safe when detoxing.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I would strongly encourage you to talk to your doctor and enlist his help in getting your body detoxed from alcohol. Be safe when detoxing.
I guess that's where I'm confused. I routinely go 4-5 days without drinking. Am I supposed to keep drinking every day until I can get in to see my doctor?

As a side note, I hate going to the doctor. I think it's because of my drinking, and I worry about damage that I may have done, and I have never been straight with my doctor about my drinking problem. I'm a wreck at the doctor's office, and I avoid it at all costs.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resident

As Least says detox is getting through the physical symptoms.
They usually last a few days and it sounds like you are essentially doing this after every weekend. Your body does not know that the next time is for good.
I wouldn't recommend drinking every day until you see your doctor. Nothing good can come from that.
It is still a good idea to go to the doctor to see if you have done any damage to your body, especially your liver. I haven't done that yet so I should probably follow my own advice too.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wouldn't recommend drinking every day until you see your doctor. Nothing good can come from that.

I was not suggesting that you drink everyday until you could see a doctor, just that seeing a doctor could be helpful in getting thru any withdrawals.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm the same as you, as I have often taken a break of a week or two because I've been on medication, or tried to quit, and the only withdrawals I have are some night sweats and a little insomnia (but not every time.) I never worry about the withdrawals. For me the problem comes (like you) after 4-5 days I want to drink again and start questioning why I'm doing this in the first place (quitting that is.) I would say you too don't have to worry about the detox because you are essentially detoxing every time you take a long break.

Last night was my first official night without alcohol (I had one glass of wine the night before that caused me to break out in hives.) So last night was my detox night. I had night sweats but still managed to get a decent night's sleep. I may have one more night of this but I'm always fine by the 3rd day.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all.

I should see my doctor. And I should be straight with him and get a full evaluation. Like I said, I am terrified of the doctor's office. My blood pressure goes through the roof, and it's normally fine.

I've had bloodwork done in the past year and nothing jumped off the chart. I bought a life insurance policy for my wife and son, and had the full physical, and all numbers were within normal range. Although, it cannot last if I keep doing what I'm doing.

I'm going on almost 15 years of boozing now--that's ridiculous.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Skistop, I wish I had stopped drinking after 15 years.

At 40 it's even worse to wake up in the middle of the night and do the math...25 years of "fun" drinking! And for what? I would like to know what all those drinks brought me that was positive? I can't think of one thing.

Go for it.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

We can't accurately predict what will happen to you during your detox, and it can be dangerous, so it's always a good idea to talk to your dr.

I hope you take a look around here and read and learn. If you want to live a sober life there is lots of support here.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Anna

I also agree with you

I should see my doctor. And I should be straight with him and get a full evaluation.
I had a bad last detox - I'm still struggling with its legacy three years on. I thought I'd be ok cos I only drank beer and wine.

I wish I'd seen a doctor.

Noone can predict what any one might go through with detox - some are like me, others are fine.

Your health and well being shouldn't be a crap shoot. Go see someone
D
Old 02-09-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I had a bad last detox - I'm still struggling with its legacy three years on. I thought I'd be ok cos I only drank beer and wine.
Can I ask what happened?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mfreetofly View Post
I'm the same as you, as I have often taken a break of a week or two because I've been on medication, or tried to quit, and the only withdrawals I have are some night sweats and a little insomnia (but not every time.) I never worry about the withdrawals. For me the problem comes (like you) after 4-5 days I want to drink again and start questioning why I'm doing this in the first place (quitting that is.) I would say you too don't have to worry about the detox because you are essentially detoxing every time you take a long break.

Last night was my first official night without alcohol (I had one glass of wine the night before that caused me to break out in hives.) So last night was my detox night. I had night sweats but still managed to get a decent night's sleep. I may have one more night of this but I'm always fine by the 3rd day.
I didn't know know night sweats were part of withdrawal. I'm going on a little over a week sober and woke up the past two nights sweating. I didn't make the connection. Shoot.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't usually give details - I'm not in the business of scaring people

I suffered a small degree of brain damage - I suffer from a kind of aphasia now for example - I often find I write things phonetically or miss words...not the handiest of afflictions to have when you work in proofreading, but I pick my mistakes up.

I also find I have trouble with my legs and other motor skills since I got sober - but I have cerebral palsy so it's unclear whether thats related to my detox.

I'm probably lucky in that I already have CP so I'm used to working around brain damage.

D
Old 02-09-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, D.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

..I am very similar with the out-come that Dee has and I have
Cerebral Atrophy..alcohol is a definate 'no-no'..for me..

..the next detox for me??geez,I'd hate to think!!!!...Oz