Notices

well I am not succeeding....

Old 02-25-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

(((dubs)))

I'm glad to see you, I've been worrying. As the others have said, and it's the truth, a long term plan of recovery is needed. I hope you can take the time to really get hooked up in it.

Just know, we are here for you!

Much love,

Lenina
Old 02-25-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by serenityqueen View Post
So the reason you won't go into detox right now is because of a job that triggers you to drink? Hmmmm, something's not right here. I realize that you have to make a living to keep a roof over you and your families head, food on the table and so on, but is it worth dying for? That's the bottom line Dub. I'm just going to be flat out honest here. Ever since I met you here on SR you've been struggling. You'll put together a few weeks, maybe a month or two then something happens that you drink or use again. Reminds me so much of myself. What I had to do and what you need to do is completely surrender. Like the others have said, you need to put your Sobriety first, above anything else. What good is this job if you end up in the ICU at a hospital throwing up blood with Cirrhosis of the Liver? How much is this job going to help you if you end up hitting a child on a bicycle because you had one drink too many?

It's time to get serious Dub. You've been struggling with this for way too long. What kind of medical leave act does your job have? There has to be some way that you can go back into detox and start some kind of treatment before April. You have to want this more than anything in the world.

What's your bottom my Friend? What's it going to take for you to surrender?

God Bless,
Judy
This is ****. It speaks in absolutes. I'm still stunned that there is such narrow-mindedness here.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

MeAnd,

What part of it is wrong? Alcoholism is a fatal disease unless one stops drinking.

I found nothing narrow-minded about it at all. I think we all care very much about Dubs.

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-25-2010, 04:00 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dedubya View Post
hey friends
I am doing ok but still drinking 5-6 beers a day. Have planned time off from work as previously mentioned, which will be late next week. I have cut back drastically for a couple of weeks to hopefully minimize the WDs. Planning to hack it out at home for 5 days, I will have someone with me and know to check my BP etc and if it goes up or if I start feeling weird I will go to ER. I am really serious about this plan, and deeply feel this will be the time that sticks. Planning to go to AA every day which worked great before.....
Love and peace to you all
Dub
Seriously, taper, follow good advice, go to the hospital if needed. What the heck is the problem here? Dub is is being safe and gets a ton of guilt about what's next and what group to join. Do not avoid the hospital bit, if needed.

As much as SR is a potentially good resources, it's incredibly shallow at times and rather narrow-minded.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

We are all concerned about dubs... I've been worried about him too... And, I have followed his posts fairly closely. Not only that I like him and his avatar

But...

He has a fatal illness.... We can worry about his feelings later. Unless he gets clean and sober, we won't have to worry about his feelings anymore, he'll be dead. Have you read some of his previous posts?

Dubs, I am happy you are trying again, man. We are all here for you! Make getting recovered your number one priority.

Mark
Old 02-25-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Tapering is a good idea in concept, but nearly impossible for a practicing alcoholic to do. I don't know about you, MeAnd, for me, it was one drink and off to the races in hell.

Tapering may be more in favor in some countries but in the US, where I live, it's most certainly not recommended. Detox can be done safely and sanely with proper medical assistance.

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-25-2010, 04:17 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

No, dubs is a human being and is in a bad place - this is real and deserves human interaction.

I have never met dubs but there is nothing I would not consider to do (destruction to my family, notwithstanding) to assist in some manner. Cab ride home from a bar? I would truly do it, regardless of the effectiveness of 12+ hours distance. Designated driver? Same thing - I'll pay for the motel room until I get there. Anything based on my own M.O.

The disease model of alcoholism is utter shite, however. If anyone can, with a straight face, describe how drinking and T1 diabetes are the same, I wish you the best in your arguments.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lets not lose focus here.

If you want to vent Me, start your own thread.
If you want an argument, I suggest you're in the wrong place.

D
Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

..........................................nm
Old 02-25-2010, 04:35 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hey dub, I've missed you. A lot of good advise above, all I have to add is to take time to get yourself into a detox program. I hope you get to feeling better soon.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:33 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Enjoying Sobriety

Hey dubs,
How are you doing? Just wanted to say I'm pullin' for you too!
Old 02-26-2010, 01:36 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

..me too.....take care Dubs...ozy
Old 02-26-2010, 04:16 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thinking of you today, Dubs. I've aways read your posts & share the love/concern of your other friends here. There can be a new day for you - I know you're reaching for it.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:42 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

i hear you very clearly! its funny the things that can trigger us. i was just looking at a recipe for meatloaf, and the accompanying picture included a glass of red wine; i thought "hey, maybe i can just have a glass." yeah, right!! a glass or bottle... or two!:chatter that "voice" sure can make it difficult. anyway, we're all pulling for ya!
i'm so thankful for this place, and for your postings because you really understand the struggle.

gg
Old 02-26-2010, 06:54 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If anyone can, with a straight face, describe how drinking and T1 diabetes are the same,
To put it simply: the body/brain chemistry is different for alcoholics vs normal drinkers. The body/brain chemistry is different for diabetics than non-diabetics. Diabetics can't tolerate/process sugar normally, alcoholics can't tolerate/process alcohol normally.

Whether alcoholism is a 'disease' or not is just badgering semantics. It is a chronic 'condition' that left untreated will kill the alcoholic. It is an aberration of the body that it can't process alcohol normally. Untreated diabetes will eventually kill the diabetic. It is an aberration of the body that it cannot process sugar normally.

just my opinion...
Old 02-26-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

In my post in this thread, I used the word illness... I agree, least, I am not sure that splitting hairs for our purposes... a community of people who are recovered or recovering from alcoholism and addiction... for our purpose of mutual support... if it matters if we call it a disease, illness or condition... It just becomes divisive....

Now if you want to do scientific research, file a claim to an insurance company, whatever... then maybe the argument has relevance...

How's it goin' Dubs?? Hope you'll stay close while you do your detox thing... glad you have some good face to face support to help you out.

Peace
Mark
Old 02-26-2010, 07:41 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I hope I'm not repeating what someone else might have said, but, sometimes it takes a while. Some people walk away from that last glass of alcohol and never go back. Others, like me, struggle through early sobriety with relapses or periods of drinking.

There seems to be two camps. But, I can assure you from listening to so many tell their story in AA, (and here too), that there are winners in both camps. Probably the majority of folks in my home group at AA went back and forth for a while before getting sober.
Same thing with some of the most dynamic AA speakers I've listened to.
It WILL happen as long as you have a desire to stop drinking!