SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello....... I could really use some advice? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/194255-hello-i-could-really-use-some-advice.html)

Stormie 02-08-2010 12:46 PM

Hello....... I could really use some advice?

Hey everyone.....
I am (of course) new here, and I need advice. I have read several threads which I found while searching on google. I will try to keep this as concise as possible.......

For about 10 years, I was addicted to hydrocodone. I was taking around 150mg daily. It was a horrific time in my life. My family suffered the most. So, almost exactly a year ago, I started taking Suboxone. It completely changed my life. I lost a lot of "friends" --but I regained my family.

However, I am STILL taking Suboxone. I started out taking three tablets daily. Now I am taking TWO tablets per day. I wonder how long people usually take this medicine before weaning off of it...? I feel like I traded one addiction for another. How can I be happy about not being dependent on pain meds, when I am completely dependent on another medicine? I want more than anything to be clean. My husband tells me that taking two Subs per day is not even close to the same thing as taking 15 pain pills per day, but I know better. And the fact that I can't even bring myself to tell my doctor that I am ready to cut down is further proof of its hold on me.

I have been addicted (to one thing or another) for the better part of my life, and I would give almost anything to be really CLEAN. It seems like the same addictive behavior that has always ran my life is going to always be in control. If anyone can tell me how to keep it from running me forever; I would really appreciate it. Any advice at all would be awesome.

Thanks in advance. :a108:

Horselover 02-08-2010 12:50 PM

I am sorry I can't help with advice in that area Stormie, but I did want to welcome you to SR. My problem is alcohol. I am sure there are others that will be around to help though. We do have a section that may help if you don't get answers here.

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Good luck!

jamdls 02-08-2010 01:12 PM

Hi Stormie, welcome to SR. You should talk to your doctor, I don't know about suboxone other than it helps detox and often times people get dependent on the detox-there is a difference between addiction and dependence and dependence isn't necessarily bad. I took anti-depressants for 15 yrs and was very dependent on them but I was not addicted to them, I gradually weaned myself off them and it wasn't easy but it was worth it. Good luck to you

Anna 02-08-2010 01:34 PM

Hi and Welcome,

I don't have personal experience with your issue either, but I do understand your desire to live a clean, sober life. I think some of us, me included, have personalities that tend to become addicted and, breaking free is a challenge. I hope you keep reading and posting.

Dee74 02-08-2010 01:53 PM

Hi Stormie

I think this is definitely something you should discuss with your Dr - you're entitled to tell him/her of your concerns, and to ask for a prognosis as to how long you might continue to be on them.

D

vanillapenguin 02-08-2010 02:19 PM

Hi Stormie-
I definitely agree talking to your doctor. Discuss with him/her about your concerns and they will know what is best to do for you. Tapering off of the subs gradually may help you get off of them completely. How long it takes is up to you and only you...you have to want it to acheive it! Best of Luck!

least 02-08-2010 03:21 PM

I have no experience with these drugs as my doc was wine. I hope we can give you the support and information you need to get clean of all drugs. I also agree that talking honestly with your doctor is an important first step to a clean life. I wish the best for you!

Welcome to our recovery family! I'm glad you found us!