Notices

Serenity...

Old 02-06-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Serenity...

Feels great doesn't it!!

Neither happy or sad but just content with being sober and knowing that you're doing what you need to do. Seeing things slotting into place naturally and working out as they never did in that previous life!

Funny how walking down the street with your head held up high could be such a different experience than scurrying to the nearest bar to drink away that sense of paranoia and anxiousness about nothing much in particualr but being an alcoholic who just hasn't realised/accepted it yet.

So grateful that I can tell ex acqaintances straight as to why I won't be attending tonights 'event'. I am a recovering alcoholic who has seven months Monday clean from any alcohol, drugs, smokes! Feels great saying that!! The funny thing is it comes as no surprise to people even though they only saw me when I was out in town or whatever as I was always drunk! I was always wrecked whenever I bumped into people out and about drinking.

I was a drunk now I'm a recovering alcoholic who is so grateful for knowing what I am.

Peace and Love xxx
Old 02-06-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Feeling content far exceeds any high I ever got.

You are doing well, neo!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Another wonderful post from you, Neo. Very inspirational.

Serenity is a beautiful
Old 02-06-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post, Neo! Yes, I agree, it is a fabulous sense of freedom not to worry about all that STUFF anymore (where to get it, when to drink it, how to get rid of it, who to avoid, how to deal with phone calls/visits...God, the list goes on and on). The "high" I get now gives me more than a drink ever could and the fact that we know this, is icing on the cake!
Old 02-06-2010, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Serenity isn't a word I thought of until you mentioned it.

I'm not at the point of serenity yet, but I am noticing how things are slotting into place for me. Although I feel pretty good right now, I think serenity is my "holy grail". The ability to just sit and "be", and to be grateful for all that is around me.

PS: Congratulations on the seven months!
Old 02-06-2010, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the inspirational post. I am going on Day 8 and hope to be writing something similar in 7 months
Old 02-07-2010, 02:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hadn't ever thought about the word serenity untill recovery. Let alone be able to say that I feel it in my life.

Recovery has truly given me a new pair of spectacles in which to view the world through. And they just happen to be tinted a nice shade of pink most of the time! LOL.

Peace and Love x
Old 02-07-2010, 03:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Aah, yes, SERENITY...my favorite word these days!

Keep it up, Neo!
Old 02-07-2010, 04:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so happy for you Neo. Yes, contentment - a feeling that was never enough for me back in the day. I don't know why I always thought I had to add some excitement to the good times, or become numb to avoid feeling in the bad times. We're meant to experience life or we won't grow - I'm thankful we're making up for lost time.

Thanks for an inspirational post, Neo. Look how far you've come!
Old 02-07-2010, 05:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 7 months!

Loved your post. While I'm not always feeling serene, there's definitely a contentment to recovery - the absence of the drama rama that my drinking days were full of - always trying to cover up, make up, show up all because I thought I was living it up. HA!

Days like today - superbowl days - make me so grateful to know that I won't be anticipating how I'm going to make it through the hangover tomorrow morning.

I love that.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great realization isn't it.... "We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace"pgs 83,84 AA Big Book fourth edition...
Old 02-07-2010, 06:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HumbleBee View Post

Days like today - superbowl days - make me so grateful to know that I won't be anticipating how I'm going to make it through the hangover tomorrow morning.
I remember actually booking a vacation day for the "day after the night before". At the time I thought I was being proactive. In retrospect, what a silly waste of those hard to come by vacation days!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HideorSeek View Post
Great post, Neo! Yes, I agree, it is a fabulous sense of freedom not to worry about all that STUFF anymore (where to get it, when to drink it, how to get rid of it, who to avoid, how to deal with phone calls/visits...God, the list goes on and on). The "high" I get now gives me more than a drink ever could and the fact that we know this, is icing on the cake!
Neo - great post, and congratulations on 7 MONTHS! Wow - that's awesome.

And HideorSeek - Your post was SPOT ON in terms of the mental gymnastics that surrounded the drinking itself. I was just saying to my h last night what a relief this is to be free of being that drinking is just completely off the table.

Thank you both!!