Notices

Is it OK for now to think this way?

Old 07-14-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Crikey one day is sometimes to future thinking for me...lol. For me personally, I try to focus on my right now...its' all I have. I have to deal with my right nows..one after the other. As a matter of fact, again for me, thinking about tomorrow created some anxiety for me over this past weekend. I had to pull myself back into the now because I was anticipating discomfort in my future. I just keep thinking that I will deal with the moment and the situations that arise with them...knocking 'em down one by one. I have absolutely no certainty about tomorrow as I don't know what will happen or how I will feel...so I don't much think about it for the time being.

That being said, I think with time (my sobriety is in its infancy) and like Dee said, you just kind of get more used to your sobriety and perhaps can lean into tomorrow without anxiety. It becomes who you are... just my two pennies.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
iwh

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
Let's just say your thinking just is, thoughts only have power when we act on them. After a period of time, the white knuckling will subside and sobriety will become second nature. One day at a time gets misused re/sobriety, should be emphasized that it's more a way of life, living in the now, not dwelling on the past and not morbidly concerned with the future.
I also liked SailorJohn's take on it. I find that very helpful.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

OMG bahahahahha!!! I should've been back here in 2010 lol
Old 07-14-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
I kind of just pulled it up

so as to see how she was doing

Mountainman
Doh! Missed that...hope she's doing alright also
Old 07-14-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
I don't think it's bad thinking. AA is a one day at a time program. I think the same as you and have strung together 8 months. I can't say I won't ever drink again because I simply just don't know.
Yeah, but isn't saying "I can't promise I won't ever drink again, I just know I won't drink today" different than saying, "I won't drink today as long as I know I can drink again someday if I want to?" The first statement sounds realistic, the second sounds like giving oneself an out to drink, an escape hatch.

I don't want my addictive voice to have any room to breathe. I am in this business to choke it to death.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lionne View Post
Recovery is a process, and just take care of it one step at a time. I can't say when the real moment came that I was ok with the thought of sobriety being a permanent decision, but it will come eventually. Don't feel pressured to achieve evreything in two weeks, it is normal that recovery takes time.
I agree with this. Your recovery evolves and grows along the way. Sometimes we need to make adjustments to our approach as we get more experience - just like everything else in life! If you are having success right now with the "one-day-at-a-time" approach, then good for you! Congrats on your progress so far!
Old 07-14-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Even when I first joined here I wasn't convinced about me and forever. It evolved into forever all on its own.

Just me but I seem to do better when I don't over think stuff and just focus on what's going pretty darn good for me and keep doing it.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

One of the phrases that stuck out in a meeting last week was, "It's not 'quitting drinking', it's 'living sober'." Whatever it takes today, to make you stronger for tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This thread has been most helpful to me too, thank you. I too just have to take it day by day - when I start thinking of the big picture is when I relapse in past experiences. Doing well staying in the now on day 7. All the best
Old 07-15-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Different methods for different personalities.

Some people find their recovery in the "just for today" model. Others find it in the "I'm never going to drink again" model.

Some people find strength in counting days sober. Others find that keeps them tied to their drinking days.

There is no one right way to work recovery, there is the right way (the way that works) for each of us.

And what works may change and evolve over time. I have had people say to me, well, what worked before, do that...but truth is what kept me sober before isn't necessarily what's going to keep me sober now, because I've grown and changed.

It's a process. Sort of like a maze of mirrors, we feel our way, and when we bump headlong into ourselves we realize it's time to try a new direction.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

im greatful for the program of AA and the choices it has given me, the greatest one being whether or not i pick up that next drink. i can pick it up any time i want, but not today. tomorrow...maybe.. but not today.

not drinkin today has been workin pretty good for me for 8 years now.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

That's what's keeping you sober and many of us still go day by day even with months and years of sobriety.

Sounds like you are really giving it your all! You should be proud. I remember the first weeks of my battle and it sure wasnt easy but, like you, I was willing to do whatever it took!

Keep up the great work!!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Grateful

I belong to another forum where there is one member who will occasionally bump up a thread from years ago on purpose (he calls it torpedoing). It's amazing how often that thread will "grow new legs", so good job Mtn Bob!

I have gone back out and drank more than once after going a long time without drinking (several years), so I have proven to myself that I can never say never...only not today.