SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Chairing my first meeting tomorrow! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/193906-chairing-my-first-meeting-tomorrow.html)

augustwest 02-03-2010 08:15 PM

Chairing my first meeting tomorrow!

I'm a little nervous about it but what an honor. Considering how unmanageable my life was not too long ago it's a dadgum miracle that i'm being trusted to open, set up, and chair this meeting. It's simply amazing what the program has done for me already.

For those new in recovery and 12 step fellowship i strongly encourage you to get a sponsor, do a 90 in 90, and get a homegroup. By following these simple instructions i have the opportunity tomorrow to give a tiny little something back to those who've so freely given to me. What a blessing! Just had to share. Thanks.

patman 02-03-2010 08:19 PM

Congrats August!! Pretty amazing when you think about it.

augustwest 02-03-2010 08:25 PM

It truly is. Gives me goosebumps. This thing works and it's such a profound process filled with beautiful people who genuinely care about eachother. Just...WOW!

CarolD 02-03-2010 08:25 PM

:funjump:

seeker7 02-03-2010 08:26 PM

I'm really happy for you, August!

lionheart 02-03-2010 09:58 PM

I hear that! I chaired my first meeting on Monday night. I wasnt expecting it and apparently did so well that I am now being asked to do it for the next 3 months...pretty cool for a 40 something day sober gal!

WOOOHOO congrats and enjoy it! Its a bit of fun!

Dee74 02-03-2010 10:09 PM

Good luck! :)

D

yeahgr8 02-03-2010 10:21 PM

Im not a year sober yet so haven't chaired in AA but GA only requires 3 months so did it there for a while, yeah its a great honour and i felt very proud to be asked...nice one, enjoy:-)

intention 02-04-2010 03:40 AM

Enjoy it :)

Tazman53 02-04-2010 03:52 AM

augustwest that is awesome, get there a bit early if possible, say a little prayer asking simply for the ability to chair the meeting in a manner that will help others & then just trust that all will go well. Try a little meditation before hand as well.

Just trust & have faith that how ever the meeting flows that it flowed to fulfill his will and not yours.

I chaired last night, it was an awesome meeting and to be honest I can take no credit for it being an awesome meeting, I simply did my part.

augustwest 02-04-2010 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tazman53 (Post 2505773)
augustwest that is awesome, get there a bit early if possible, say a little prayer asking simply for the ability to chair the meeting in a manner that will help others & then just trust that all will go well. Try a little meditation before hand as well.

Just trust & have faith that how ever the meeting flows that it flowed to fulfill his will and not yours.

I chaired last night, it was an awesome meeting and to be honest I can take no credit for it being an awesome meeting, I simply did my part.

Thanks! This is great advice. I'll be arriving a half hour early to set up, make coffee, put out the readings, etc.. I engage in daily prayer and meditation and will certainly do so before the meeting to center myself and allow the energy to just flow with me out of the freaking way.

I'm excited now! The meetings at noon.

WakeUp 02-04-2010 07:09 AM

Congratulations Mr Chairman! You'll do great.
I started chairing my home group meetings when I was still under 30 days sober, they really trust me!

augustwest 02-04-2010 07:12 AM

Great screenname, avatar, and signature Wake Up.

scaredykat 02-04-2010 11:11 AM

Good for you! I still remember the first time I chaired and set up. I was so nervous. LOL

Service work keeps you sober.

thirtybubba 02-04-2010 06:23 PM

Good for you! Congratulations.

Take care,
TB