SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 13 - Sober But Anxious (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/193855-day-13-sober-but-anxious.html)

RacerX 02-03-2010 07:29 AM

Day 13 - Sober But Anxious

Hi All,

The Good News - I've got a full 2 weeks under my belt and, again, I didn't feel any cravings yesterday. Once again, I'm sure they'll be back but I feel blessed that it was not a struggle yesterday.

The Bad News - My anxiety has increased. I've always struggled from anxiety but, during my first week, actually felt my anxiety go down. It's come back over teh past few days - feeling like I'm terminally ill and am going to die, constantly having my wife check my pulse...things like that.

I mentioned this to my psychiatrist yesterday and she has increased my Lexapro, so I'm hoping over time that will help.

Anyways, just wanted to let you all know what's going on with me.

God Bless,

RacerX

RacerX 02-03-2010 08:06 AM

Edit: I'm on Day 15. Might not matter to some of you but those 2 extra days sure as heck matter to me! :lmao

Ceres 02-03-2010 08:22 AM

I mentioned this to my psychiatrist yesterday and she has increased my Lexapro, so I'm hoping over time that will help.

Way to go, this says a lot about how you're working the program. It's a program of action. You show a knack for taking action. Action includes taking care of our bodies and minds. Some have a hard time (like I did at first) taking action on our mental troubles and taking medication when appropriate. :-)

4ever 02-03-2010 09:53 AM

Congratulations on 15 days!! Hang in there....it does get better.

allaheadslow 02-03-2010 01:58 PM

Hi Racer! I'm right there with you... two weeks last Monday.

ONe day at a time ( by the minute if you have too) as they say. Just remember, when cravings hit, say to yourself "this too shall pass" and it will.

I had a hard Monday when my wife was traveling and it was just me in the house. THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!! Say and don't drink!

Blessings,

Arena 02-03-2010 05:05 PM

Well done Racer:)

Anna 02-03-2010 05:20 PM

Hi Racer,

Good for you for talking to your psychiatrist about the anxiety!

I struggle with anxiety too. One thing that I've read and have been trying lately, is to 'stay in your body' when the anxiety hits. What happens with me is that when the anxiety hits, I feel wave after wave of panic, my heart beats fast, my breathing becomes shallow and it makes things worse. So, try to be aware of your breathing, pay attention to what your skin feels, focus on how your arms and legs feel. It's not easy, but I do find it helps.

Dee74 02-03-2010 10:34 PM

Anxiety was a big part of my early recovery too, Racer.

I didn't take anything for it, I just tried my best to see it for what it was - a natural manifestation of not only my mind and bidy healing, but also the apprehension I felt when I thought "**** - I'm doing this!"

In my experience things settled down and evened out pretty good:)

Congrats on those 15 days :)
D