Notices

Please help me, hubby entered rehab yesterday

Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Please help me, hubby entered rehab yesterday

Hi everyone! So glad to have found this forum, I need some help. My hubby entered rehab yesterday on his own free will, I am so very grateful but scared to death about what he is enduring in the 5 day detox phase. He had been a drinker and pot smoker for years and only recently admitted to me he also does oxycontin and zanax and probably any other pill he gets his hands on. I am so very worried about what happens during detox. I cannot speak to him for 5 days and today was only able to speak to his counseler who said he is doing OK, sleeping, eating, showering and attending the meetings that they have during detox. I just was hoping someone who has gone through it may be able to enlighten me on what is happening. I am so sick to my stomach with worry but thanking God that he is in a good medical environment while detoxing. I get to visit him on saturday and just wish I could hurry up the week. He completes detox on Friday and then begins in patient treatment for the rest of the month. This is all happening at 1 facility. Thank you so very much for any feedback. God Bless!!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am so happy that he is getting help. I will pray for you and your husband.

I don't know what he will go through, but he will be okay.

Try to concentrate on YOURSELF for the next 5 days!!! Scary, maybe but exciting and needed.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Hey lucky,

It's all GOOD. My husband going into detox was a great experience for everyone. He detoxed in a hospital and they assigned a social worker who found a rehab for us. Rehab was really great. He hated it the first two days and then he just turned into this different person. He was very emotional and cried alot. That's from not feeling anything for YEARS. I hope the rehab experience proves to be a positive one for you also.

It's the WORK after rehab that gets tricky.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Being someone that has gone through the process I can tell you that he's going to be fine and he's doing the right thing for himself right now. I hope that he continues any and all suggestions the rehab gives him in order to stay clean and sober.

I hope that you will seek some guidance for yourself as addiction not only affects the person who is using but also those close to the addict as I know you are well aware.

You found a great place for support. Welcome to SR and keep reading and posting.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Liz and welcome.

Have you visited the family and friends forum? You need to look after yourself through this time and when he gets out and learns to live life sober.

I don't know specifically what will be happening in rehab but I do know he will be looked after and monitored closely until he is out of the danger period of withdrawal.

It's a great thing that he has gone into rehab and owned up to what he has been using.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi guys. I have tears streaming down my face now because I am so happy to have found you. Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I am so proud of him for taking this step, I just want to support him and help any way I can. I will continue reading the forums, this place is great.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can take this time to focus on yourself and take care of you.

I'm glad your husband is seeking support.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey there luckyliz,

i can so relate - when my husband went to treatment, it was the first day of the rest of my life. so many doors opened for me, and i learned to live (still learning) a new way. realize that interpersonal dynamics change from someone living a life while intoxicated, to someone living a clean and sober life. which is my way of saying that YOU now also need to learn about this new lifestyle. it is the best way to support him, which is what i know you want to do right now, but most importantly, it is the best way for you to support yourself! (i'm sure this will be addressed in the rehab "for the family" piece)
Old 02-02-2010, 12:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi luckyliz

I've never been to rehab but I wanted to welcome you anyway

D
Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The rehab I went to kept us very busy during the day. Only time off was evenings, and we often had "homework" assignments to do as part of our beginning recovery. Phone calls were limited as there were only a few phones for each 'wing'. Had pretty strict rules too, but that's typical. It was a very structured environment, as are most, with no boom boxes, no cell phones, and so on.

I agree with those who have told you to take good care of yourself. AlAnon meetings could help also, to understand what your husband is/was going thru as an alcoholic/addict. I would also suggest you visit the Friends and Family forums. There is one for F and F of alcoholics and one for F and F of addicts. Visit them both for support and information.

Welcome to SR!