SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   One Month (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/193647-one-month.html)

NEJeeper 01-31-2010 07:58 PM

One Month

My last day drinking was 12/26/2009. I was arrested for a DUI as I slept in my car with my keys in my pocket. I realized I had to make a change and began going to AA within a week and half. During the week and a half I went through some aws and could hardly eat or sleep. It was the worst week of my life I think.

But I have been doing well going to AA every day(except sundays as there aren't any nearby meetings) and 3-4 days a week I go to two meetings. I have been doing very well in my sobriety and have a sponsor now. I feel better in some ways than I have in YEARS.

But tomorrow I go to court for my preliminary hearing. I am sort of terrified. I am trying to take life on life's terms but this is tough. I am supposed to get my BS in a science field in May so this DUI has ruined my life for the time being. I live with my parents and I told them I am going to AA and am an alcoholic and they are very supportive. I did not tell them about the DUI yet, but I think I have to tell them tomorrow. I do not see the preliminary hearing turning out in my favor.

I don't know how to tell them about this, I am calling my sponsor tomorrow to talk to him after court. This really sucks. They are going to be so disappointed in my when I tell them. I am facing losing my license for 12-18 months and maybe even doing 60-90 days in jail. I have never been to jail before. I am just really freaking out about this and would love some prayers thrown my way for this to work out as God wills it.

Ceres 01-31-2010 08:25 PM

Hey there,

When we begin to 'get it', Everything begins to change. We have so much support and our whole outlook on life is completely different....

Then we have to stand in front of a judge where we are 'just another drunk'.

Humility, I guess. :-) You sound very good. You will be able to hold your head up in that courtroom because you have continually been doing the next right thing. A sponsor, meetings, and some honest time under your belt (hats off to you).

serenityqueen 01-31-2010 08:43 PM

Congratulations on your decision to stop drinking and the month that you've stayed Sober. Believe me, I know how hard that is.

As far as the DUI. I don't know where you live, but I'd bet money that if this is your first offense it will get reduced to a wreckless op. I know it's scary when they throw jail time into the equation but honestly, you aren't going to jail.

If your Parents are supportive after you've told them you're an Alcoholic and going to Meetings, I can't see them flipping out because you got a DUI. Sounds like the DUI was a wake up call, one that you needed. Honesty is the best policy in everything in Recovery. Rather than to keep holding this inside and letting it eat at you, just tell them. I know it's very easy for my mind to jump to the worst possible conclusion and when I face whatever it is head on, chances are I've made a mountain out of a molehill.

Let us know what happens tomorrow after the Preliminary Hearing. Trust me, everything is going to be ok. I'll keep you in my thoughts and Prayers.

God Bless,
Judy

intention 01-31-2010 11:05 PM

Hi, good luck at the court.

Dee74 02-01-2010 01:51 AM

Good luck Jeeper - on both counts :)

D

NEJeeper 02-01-2010 11:37 AM

I went to court today and then went immediately to a meeting, which helped a lot. I am in some trouble but it could be worse. It is my second DUI, I had one in 2007. It will also be my last. The first time I blamed the police, and myself for driving drunk, not just for being drunk.

Now I have found that I have a problem and I am working at the source of the problem(my drinking) not just at the symptoms(DUI charges). So I am losing my license for 18 months which is going to suck big time. But on the bright side I am entering the "fast track program" which means I don't have to do 90 days in jail, just 90 days house arrest. I can still attend school and work under house arrest, I just need to be really good about time management or the man will be coming for me if I get home late. This should all start in about six months or so. I almost wish I could just get it over with now instead of dragging it out.

On the bright side I will have most of my summer to enjoy life and freedom and work to save money. The monitoring bracelet costs 8$ a day:(. But I have to live life on lifes terms and pay my dues. It is hard to accept this terrible thing I have done to myself, but at least I did not hurt anyone else.

Thank you all.

intention 02-01-2010 11:40 AM

I am glad you got through it and you are now facing up to the consequences of your actions. This is a positive step in the direction of recovery.

It can only get better from here on....:)

CarolD 02-01-2010 11:44 AM

:funjump:

Anodyne 02-01-2010 02:11 PM

Very glad to hear that things went pretty decent at court, and that you are facing the reality of addiction.

And woohoo on your month sober! Stick with it, this could be a wonderful turning point in your life (:

NEJeeper 02-01-2010 07:08 PM

I was just reading up on this ankle monitoring thing, it is going to suck. Has anyone else had to wear an ankle monitor? It is going to suck having to conceal it when I wear shorts, but its only for 90 days.

I am hoping I can still work in my garden and around the house. It is definitely going to put a crimp in my workout routine for sure, no running for a while.

coffeenut 02-01-2010 07:16 PM

The best news is you have quit drinking! You sound quite positive and on the road to a healthy sobriety.

I wouldn't worry about the ankle monitor....it's better than sitting in a cell, I would think.

humblestudent 02-01-2010 07:23 PM

Congrats on one month sober, and congrats on the consequences not nearly be as bad as you feared. You'll get through this.

One thing you said that stuck with me...how did they arrest you for DUI if the car wasn't even turned on, and the keys weren't even in the ignition? I had heard along the way somewhere that the keys had to be in the ignition to be picked up for DUI?

Thanks!

NEJeeper 02-01-2010 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by coffeenut (Post 2503577)
The best news is you have quit drinking! You sound quite positive and on the road to a healthy sobriety.

I wouldn't worry about the ankle monitor....it's better than sitting in a cell, I would think.

Yeah I am really not the prison type. It sucks that I am an alcoholic and got myself into this mess. I am really rather smart(when I am not drinking) I just do stupid stuff when I am drunk. But I am moving forward. I started stocking up on painting supplies already, I like to do oil painting.

I really can't complain I mean jail is jail and here I have hdtv, wii, high speed dsl, moms cooking, I can have visitors, paint, and still go to college.

I am trying to be optimistic. I am profoundly depressed in reality, but I am trying to look at it from the perspective that I could have killed someone, or that I could be in a cell for 90 days eating gruel and stuff(I know jail isn't that bad, but thinking of it like that helps me deal with the future house arrest)

I do kind of wish I had a gf, but I need some more time to get myself together before that happens.

One thing I am bummed about is how I have to have an alcohol monitor in my vehicle after I get my license back after 12-18 months. It is going to be so awkward blowing into that thing to start my car picking up a girl for the first date. I think we will have to meet somewhere so she doesn't see that until she gets to know me a little.:headbange

NEJeeper 02-01-2010 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by humblestudent (Post 2503584)
Congrats on one month sober, and congrats on the consequences not nearly be as bad as you feared. You'll get through this.

One thing you said that stuck with me...how did they arrest you for DUI if the car wasn't even turned on, and the keys weren't even in the ignition? I had heard along the way somewhere that the keys had to be in the ignition to be picked up for DUI?

Thanks!

Not in PA. In PA I could be sleeping in the back of a van with the keys in my suitcase and I could still get a DUI.

humblestudent 02-01-2010 07:27 PM

:c029:

Huh...had no idea. That is scary.

spryte 02-01-2010 07:42 PM

Congratulations on your month of sobriety!

Impurrfect 02-01-2010 08:33 PM

Congratulations on one month of sobriety!!

Though the ankle monitor sort of sucks, it is much better than the alternatives. You will learn to adjust to it as time goes on.

We learn to deal with our consequences as time goes on and, hopefully, learn from those consequences. It's easy to say "this is my last DUI" but a different story to actually do the work "sponsor, meetings, step work...and keep it up" as time will show. Sounds like you are off to a great start!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

Omega10 02-02-2010 05:46 PM

I'm happy to hear that things went alright in court, and that you still get to finish out your school year! I also think it is great that you chose to turn this into a good thing and are staying sober.

NEJeeper 02-09-2010 08:50 AM

So now it has been six weeks. Count it, that is 42 days sober! The dog and cobwebs are clearing out of my mind. I am working on becoming a better person. AA has been going well. I have a sponsor and am still going about 9 times a week. I am smoking 10 cigarettes a day and drinking coffee like a fiend. I am also eating well and exercising. I do have a problem getting enough sleep but it is my fault, I simply cannot accept that there are only 24 hours in a day. lol

I living for the day and doing better at work. I don't seem to be suffering too badly from PAWS, but we will see with time.

I remember my first day sober I was twitchy as all hell. I think alcohol was screwing with my CNS, I mean I would twitch, like jerk my arm or my facial muscles, it was pretty bad. Not shaking, twitching. But that has not happened since the first day.

I also notice my coordination has improved greatly. I slid 30 feet down an almost vertical sheet of ice on Sunday and landed on my feet and took off running, and also made a run to jump onto a moving lift chair that could have been in a movie(or an accident report lol).

I am also digging being able to eat a piece of cake or make a milkshake and not feel guilty or gain weight. I mean it is so easy to justify! I look at this awesome milkshake and I say to myself "This is a lot healthier than 15 beers and bottle of whiskey!" and I dig in shamelessly. And now I would much rather have a milkshake, cake, ice cream etc. then a beer or a drink. Milkshake is way yummier than beer!

Tazman53 02-09-2010 09:04 AM

NEJeeper that is awesome, you are walking through this whole deal growing all along the way. Keep at it, I enjoy reading post like this one!