Notices

Useful link: the alcohol "calculator"

Old 01-31-2010, 10:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Useful link: the alcohol "calculator"

I found an online tool for people to measure the impact drinking has had on their health and lives. This is the newbie section and there may be people wondering if their drinking is a problem. Doing this survey solidified it for me.

The Check Your Drinking (CYD) Survey | Alcohol Help Center

My own results:
- I drank 57.1% of the days in 2009. I spent 2,854 hours (or 119 days - one third of the year) under the influence.
- I consumed enough calories through alcohol to gain 53 pounds.
- I spent $3,744 on alcohol. (I calculated that with that money, I could have bought 288 movie passes to my local movie theatre or a trip to almost anywhere in the world.)

And the biggest eye opener: I drink more than 99% of people my age.

If this link has made its rounds, I apologize. I just found it to be an eye opener.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awakening...

A final audit score of 20 or more equals alcohol dependance. I scored a 29. I spent 57% of my days last year under the influence of alcohol. I drank more than 99% of the general population.
Yep, says it all there.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Think of all the things we could have done if we hadn't been blitzed for more than half the year!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

I scored a 16. Guess I'm a light weight, maybe not drinking for 6 months last year gave me the low score.

It's time for a change hopefully for good, one day at a time.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for that post-Good Lord I scored a 34...reading that test analysis made me glad that I am on this site posting, attending meetings at all. Looking at all that data helped remind me of how good things are now, versus before I stopped drinking.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

I know that if I had been drinking I would not have honestly answered the questions.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow - what an eye opening screening tool. Again - it's becoming clearer that the way I drank was not the norm in any sense of the word...
Old 01-31-2010, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
20/12/09

Well at least if I had any doubt that also cemented it! I was even generous to myself and still fit in here hahaha

My name is Rachel and I am an alcoholic....no doubt about it!
Old 01-31-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by humblestudent View Post
Wow - what an eye opening screening tool. Again - it's becoming clearer that the way I drank was not the norm in any sense of the word...
I know what you mean. I saw you say in another thread that you had always assumed your friends were drinking similar amounts when you went out, but seeing them through sober eyes makes you realize that you were an anomaly. I've also experienced that lately, and this tool opened my eyes to that even more. I also wonder if it seems to me that everyone drinks heavily because I've subconsciously surrounded myself with drinkers because it's compatible with my own addiction.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
seeking recovery

thanks samantha for that eye-opening resource!
Old 01-31-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
din
~ still a believer ~

27!? didn't surprise me I guess.....that's why I am here

excellent tool tho for sure (thanks for posting it)

and what kills me is.........."and I thought THAT was okay"??
Old 01-31-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is where these tests are bogus.
Self justification and the "Delusion" will not allow us to answer most of these correctly.
It was an informative test however.

13. Within the last twelve (12) months was there ever a time that you felt your alcohol use had a harmful effect on your friendships or social life?

14. Within the last twelve (12) months was there ever a time that you felt your alcohol use had a harmful effect on your physical health?

15. Within the last twelve (12) months was there ever a time that you felt your alcohol use had a harmful effect on your outlook on life (happiness)?

16. Within the last twelve (12) months was there ever a time that you felt your alcohol use had a harmful effect on your home life or marriage?

17. Within the last twelve (12) months was there ever a time that you felt your alcohol use had a harmful effect on your work, studies or employment opportunities?

18. Within the last twelve (12) months was there ever a time that you felt your alcohol use had a harmful effect on your financial position?
Old 01-31-2010, 06:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thats depressing.

Within the last twelve (12) months:
•You reported drinking on approximately 100.0% of days in the last year.
•You reported that you drank a total of 10920 drinks in the last year.

This also means that:
•You spent approximately $8190 in the last year, depending on where you drank (at home, in a bar, etc.).
•You consumed (on average) 3,000 calories from alcohol on days that you drink. Based on the total amount of drinking you had enough alcohol to add roughly 312 pounds or 142 kilograms to your weight in the last year. Note: One drink has about 100 calories and 3,500 calories roughly equals 1 extra pound of weight.
•You also reported that within the past year, the greatest number of drinks you had on one occasion was 30 drinks
Old 01-31-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SamanthaC View Post
I also wonder if it seems to me that everyone drinks heavily because I've subconsciously surrounded myself with drinkers because it's compatible with my own addiction.
Yes...I've been thinking of that too...kind of convenient that all my friends just happen to be heavy drinkers.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Interesting tool. I did some rough approximations, because I had more sober spells this past year than usual, so I tried to average, came out with a 31.

Doesn't surprise me, like the tool quite a bit, thank you for sharing.