SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Is weaning an option? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/193443-weaning-option.html)

formerbuschbaby 01-29-2010 02:54 AM

Is weaning an option?

Greetings all! I am new to this site (also new to blogging and posting in general) and have a few questions about the detoxification process.... Has anyone had any success weaning off of alcohol? I have been drinking anywhere from 40 - 60 oz of beer daily for the past 8 years (more on my days off...) and would like to quit "cold turkey", but am terrified of having DT's. I understand that they only occur in <5% of recovering alcoholics, and are easily controlled by anti-seizure medications like Xanax or Ativan, but as someone with an addictive personality, I'd much rather detoxify slowly/naturally as opposed to substituting one drug for another. What say you folks?

Dee74 01-29-2010 03:01 AM

Hi formerbuschbaby

Welcome to SR

Well...I can tell you that it never worked for me - it was like leaving the baby in charge of the candy store.

I never actually got down to the weaning part in any serious way.

I believe, if someone is that worried about withdrawal, they owe it to themselves to seek professional medical advice.

D

intention 01-29-2010 03:37 AM

Hi and welcome and well done on making the decision to quit.

You seen fully aware of the risks of quitting to the daily heavy drinking. I think you owe it to yourself to seek your doctors advice,......perhaps the two of you can put a plan together just in case you need it for withdrawal.

Keep in touch.

CarolD 01-29-2010 03:45 AM

Please check out this link from our Alcoholism Forum
it has info and some of our experiences with de toxing.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

I never tried to taper from alcohol....drinking while
trying to get sober seemed ..at best....counter productive.
Neither did I use med's for withdrawals.

It's always a wise idea to consult with your doctor
on medical issues such as withdrawing from alcohol.
And....please .... be totally honest about your drinking

Welcome to our recovery community...:wave:

least 01-29-2010 04:10 AM

Weaning off alcohol can be done. But I agree with consulting your doctor for help with quitting drinking. Meds can be given to make your detox safer and reduce the risk of seizures and DTs. Please see your doctor to be safe.

Fubarcdn 01-29-2010 04:47 AM

As the others have said weaning would never have worked for me. It is far too easy to have just one more.
Right now , according to what you said, you are drinking 3 to 5 beers a day so it is unlikely with that amount you would have any severe withdrawal symptoms but it is always wise to check with a doctor.
Good luck on your quest for a better life.

parasol 01-29-2010 04:50 AM

I tapered off over the course of several days, but it didn't stop me from feeling like crap for a coupla weeks!

Hevyn 01-29-2010 05:30 AM

Wonderful to have you with us, fbb! I was like parasol - I tapered off over a 2-day period. That was only because I couldn't get anything to help with withdrawal at the time. It is not recommended, and only worked for me because I didn't see any other way & didn't want to have a stroke or seizure.

Congratulations on your decision to have a better life. Keep talking to us.

Anna 01-29-2010 06:11 AM

Welcome!

Cutting back never worked for me!

I hope you talk to your dr and please stick around and let us know how you're doing.

RacerX 01-29-2010 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by formerbuschbaby (Post 2500289)
Greetings all! I am new to this site (also new to blogging and posting in general) and have a few questions about the detoxification process.... Has anyone had any success weaning off of alcohol? I have been drinking anywhere from 40 - 60 oz of beer daily for the past 8 years (more on my days off...) and would like to quit "cold turkey", but am terrified of having DT's. I understand that they only occur in <5% of recovering alcoholics, and are easily controlled by anti-seizure medications like Xanax or Ativan, but as someone with an addictive personality, I'd much rather detoxify slowly/naturally as opposed to substituting one drug for another. What say you folks?

Hi there and welcome to SR!!

Boy, I am right there with you in regards to the addictive personality thing. I was scared as well given my addictive nature.

I tried weaning off of wine and it did not work at all. Sure, I went down some the first few nights but, when it came to cutting back more, I would start sneaking extra glasses when my wife wasn't looking because I wasn't getting the buzz anymore. And, let's face it, what good is drinking if you can't get your buzz??

FWIW, I went to a therapist that recommended me to a psychiatrist who specializes in alcohol abuse recovery and, in general, addictive behavior. She has me on a great med plan that is cold turkey but also helps fight off the withdrawal effects in a safe and non-addictive way (she made me throw away the Xanax immediately).

All that said, there IS medical help you can get to get off alcohol 100% TODAY and live to tell the tale. No, I'm not saying it's easy but it is definitely doable.

One last point - and this one is very important. She made sure that I knew that the medical help she was giving me would treat my body but would be of absolutely NO help if we did not treat my mind as well. In short, I'm in AA and go to 2 meetings a day and call guys on my list when ever I start feeling squirly (is that a word?). I have a sponsor and all I can say is that my life right now is an absolute miracle as I'm alcohol free and loving it!

Anyways, best of luck and please know that there is help to be found - you've made a huge step by seeking help right here in SR.

God Bless!

RacerX

Dean62 01-29-2010 07:03 AM

The less you are drinking when you stop the easier it will be. The weaning thing is a mind game that most of us don't win but as Hevyn pointed it out, it can be done.

Whatever you decide, welcome to SR. :c031: