SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Sponsor/Friend (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/193338-sponsor-friend.html)

bdiddy5522 01-27-2010 08:42 AM

Sponsor/Friend

I just wanted to ask that if any of you have some extra time, please pray for my sponsor/friend/mentor. He was diagnosed with cancer about 4 months ago. I have been sober 78 days, and this man is responsible. However if you ask him, he had nothing to do with it. Imagine that. :) But he picked me up at my house for my first meeting, took me to his house to talk and to supper before the meeting, and to coffee after the first meeting. He volunteered to be my sponsor knowing his time on earth is limited. He called me every couple days to check on me, even though he was the one who was sick. He took time to spend with ME, even though he has a wife and kids of his own.

Anyways, he is in the hospital in the ICU getting ready to give God a big bear hug very soon. He literally has saved my life, and a piece of this man's heart is left with me and literally hundreds of other people who are now sober because of this man. He saved my life, and there is nothing I can do to save his. All i can do is what he would want and that is to carry the gift he has given me to others that need it.

May God bless a true angel! 30+ years ob sobriety, and he made it through this whole battle for his life without picking up a drink. If he can look death in the eyes and not see a reason to drink, what in the world would make us think we need to do it?

omegasupreme 01-27-2010 08:49 AM

Sorry for your loss. I am not trying to jump the gun by any means, nor am I trying to be grim, but you may want to acquire a new sponsor rather soon to help you through this.

bdiddy5522 01-27-2010 08:56 AM

Omega- Thank you. I already have a back up sponsor. He told me when he offered to be mine that his chances are not good, so I need to have a back up. He even lined him up for me. A good friend of his in the program who is also 30+ years sober. So I am set, and my support system is strong. That doesn't make it any easier though.

least 01-27-2010 09:34 AM

I will keep you and him in my prayers.

yeahgr8 01-27-2010 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by bdiddy5522 (Post 2498814)
He told me when he offered to be mine that his chances are not good, so I need to have a back up. He even lined him up for me.

Your sponsor is one sober guy, someone to aspire to! Best wishes to him and his family...

thirtybubba 01-27-2010 09:51 AM

In prayers, no problem. Sorry to hear about his downturn.

All along I've been thinking he's an amazing guy, as you've shared your experiences... Definitely as yeahgr8 suggested, somone to aspire to.

intention 01-27-2010 11:32 AM

How very sad but what an inspirational story. It leaves me quite speechless.

Thoughts and prayers for him and his family on their way.

Anna 01-27-2010 11:35 AM

He sounds like a wonderful man! Prayers for him and his family!

Untoxicated 01-27-2010 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by bdiddy5522 (Post 2498799)
I just wanted to ask that if any of you have some extra time, please pray for my sponsor/friend/mentor. He was diagnosed with cancer about 4 months ago. I have been sober 78 days, and this man is responsible. However if you ask him, he had nothing to do with it. Imagine that. :) But he picked me up at my house for my first meeting, took me to his house to talk and to supper before the meeting, and to coffee after the first meeting. He volunteered to be my sponsor knowing his time on earth is limited. He called me every couple days to check on me, even though he was the one who was sick. He took time to spend with ME, even though he has a wife and kids of his own.

Anyways, he is in the hospital in the ICU getting ready to give God a big bear hug very soon. He literally has saved my life, and a piece of this man's heart is left with me and literally hundreds of other people who are now sober because of this man. He saved my life, and there is nothing I can do to save his. All i can do is what he would want and that is to carry the gift he has given me to others that need it.

May God bless a true angel! 30+ years ob sobriety, and he made it through this whole battle for his life without picking up a drink. If he can look death in the eyes and not see a reason to drink, what in the world would make us think we need to do it?

Man, you've got to stop writing posts like this...I found myself getting choked up.

He sounds like a real great one that guy - you can give him life in the form of your own. Carry his message on through sobriety...

I will keep him and all those close to him in my prayers.

Astro 01-27-2010 11:41 AM

There are angels on earth indeed. Prayers going out for your sponsor, how awesome that he's blessed so many lives by carrying the message.

Dee74 01-27-2010 12:30 PM

Prayers out, B.

D

bdiddy5522 01-27-2010 01:21 PM

Thanks everyone. I have been so blessed by this man. Words just can not do justice. He has been a family friend for years. The day I decided I needed to get and stay sober, my dad called this man. We knew he was sick, but didn't know how much he could do. We were just hoping he could point us in the direction of which meetings to attend, etc. Well, he did much more than that. He didn't just give me a meeting place and time. He picked me up and babied me through this whole process. What an absolute angel this man is!

Sorry if this story brought tears to some of you. Trust me, I leaked all over the keyboard writing it. Thanks for listening everyone. :) Places like SR are just awesome, and so are all of you here.

Richard54 01-27-2010 01:26 PM

Sorry to hear this bdiddy.
The man is a fine and decent fellow who has given you a special gift.

tallcactus 01-27-2010 04:27 PM

((bdiddy))
Prayers sent and at God's feet at about now.