Notices

anxiety?

Old 01-26-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anxiety?

What are some things that help you get through the anxiety? I tend to feel anxious when near a group of people. Need some ideas. I really would rather not go on any anti anxiety medication. I've been trying to exercise after work. Eating healthy and drinking water. Any other ideas?
~Sleeves
Old 01-26-2010, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with you completely about the anxiety medications.

I had anxiety issues since childhood and alcohol was a way of self-medicating when I couldn't deal with it any longer.

I still have problems with anxiety, but I manage for the most part. I use valerian sometimes and it helps. I get outside and exercise every day. I have learned here that you can stop the thoughts that start to roll out of control in your mind. Literally say 'stop' and take a few very deep, slow breaths. It helps.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I used to get panic attacks, my therapist had me do an exercise where I closed my eyes and focused on a calm place of my choice. Really tried to picture it in my head, you know? And then just breathe. It seemed to help.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Anxiety was one of the primary reasons I began to abuse alcohol in the first place. I vividly remember the first anxiety attack I had. I was in a car filled with people and I started to feel like I was going to die (Short of breath, racing heart, tight chest). We had a bunch of 40 oz bottles of beer so I cracked one and chugged about 15 ounces in 10 seconds.. Goodbye anxiety.. I don't think I ever really went anywhere without booze (or access to it) for years after that first incident./. It was like my mind said "That's the liquid that gets rid of any bad feelings." What it didn't say was that it eventually causes far more anxiety and bad feelings then it ever fixes..

Deep breathing can help you relax and believe it or not, quitting smoking.. Having all that extra oxygen in your blood can make u feel more at ease.. It's good that your eating well, drinking plenty of water and getting some excersise.. If you feel the need, u can talk to a mental health professional without being put on meds..
Old 01-26-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me my anxiety at its worst sent me to the ER and I was certain I was going to die. I was shaking, couldn't breath, lightheaded, feeling of dread, basically as if you put your head into a ice cold sink and feeling suffocated. I felt desperate and alone. It was the worst sensation I had ever felt and that was right after my ex filed for divorce and I spent my first 4th of July alone at home while he was on vacation. I felt I had lost everything and at that time I couldn't see nor cared that my ex was just bad for me. I wanted someone and I was alone. How did I find solace? Oh I just drank more and more. Actually 2 days of binge drinking brought about the panic attack/anxiety and drinking after I returned from the ER made it worse.

I will say that I had 2 30 day prescriptions for xanax which I thought would help. Well.....the pill just made me fall asleep.....sitting upright. Probably didn't help I was boozing hardcore as well since I couldn't find magic in the pill so I stopped taking them.

Exercise is awesome as well as playing online games, reading, listening to music, cleaning, anything to take your mind off the anxiety as it does pass. I realized the hard way that booze is what brought about the anxiety and heightened everything. Since I became sober I have noticed that the severity and mere existence is no longer there.

Go for a drive, walk, anything productive. Get the hormones going and also keep in mind that winter months are a tough time so keep up with your vitamins. I am taking thiamine (B1) which is needed for the central nervous system (alcohol inhibits the body to absorb it so get the vitamin), multi vitamin and even a straight vitamin D will also help.

Just post here when having an attack if you can't control it and it will help to talk about it. That is what led me to start joining boards a few years back.

Huggs
Old 01-26-2010, 04:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know what you mean. I was told by a therapist, when I was 15, that I probably had social anxiety disorder. So yeah... it's hard for me to go out in public, especially now with all the weight gain and withdrawal from the booze. It's like I think people are constantly looking at me and judging me. For someone that's so hooked on alcohol and drugs, you would think I would be down for taking meds for it... but I'm really not. Always been anti-medication.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My dad is a therapist trained in a technique called EMDR (Eye Movement desensitization and Reprocessing). A few years ago my anxiety over driving reached the point that I had full blown panic attacks even when riding as a passenger. I hated the idea of taking anxiety meds too, so I finally gave in and tried EMDR (hated the idea of my dad doing therapy w/ me but it involves very little 'talking')... haven't had a panic attack since.
Soon I plan to give it another go- this time working on my fear of public speaking
Old 01-26-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anxiety was one of the biggest reasons I drank. That, and heredity. I got stresses and I went for the booze. The Doctor wanted to put me on Wellbutrin but I didn't want to medicate unless 100% necessary. I do keep Ativan on hand for attacks. I did two years sober before my relapse this fall and I would maybe go through 30 Ativan in 4-5 months. I actually felt better just KNOWING I had them "in case". I went back on them, at my Doctors request, when I detoxed this last time... but after 11 days sober, I am back to 1/2 a pill before bed just to calm my brain to sleep.

I also find when I am getting a little anxious, a cup of chammomille tea works wonder... I sit and sip slowly, inhaling the fragrance and it helps. Another trick of mine is lavender, which is a soothing herb. I have lavender oil for the bath and the humidifier, lavender creams for my body, etc... just the SMELL calms me down!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

I followed the instructions laid out in the book Self Help for you Nerves by Claire Weekes.

I suffered from panic attacks a lot and used to dread them but with technique in the book I started to look forward to them as I was so confident I could deal with them........and then they eventually stopped - the book explains why.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
20/12/09

I suffered this after a trauma and went through alot of therapy to help and wow has it helped!

I have many many things I could tell you about so if you want to PM me, feel free!

LH

PS - im in a rush at the moment or i would sit and type more...sorry!