Notices

My boyfriend has an alcohol problem!!

Old 01-25-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My boyfriend has an alcohol problem!!

Hi everyone!!
I'm new to this site and I have a boyfriend who has an alcohol problem. I don't know what to do, I have talked to him about it many times but it seems to me like I'm wasting my time. I don't have this problem so I can't fully understand what he is feeling and I'm just basically looking for people to talk to, advice or any help I can get. I feel helpless in this and alot of time I overreact, I get angry and I feel very scared for him. His grand-father died from alcohol abuse and so did his father, I'm scared that he will too.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

marie...welcome to sr.

sadly in my experience there is little you can do until he is open to helping himself.
Here is some things people did for me.

Gave me numbers of aa help line.
Gave me numbers to salvation army for free detox...im in the uk.
Gave me directions for homeless shelters with alcohol support workers.

When i became desperate enough i used ALL that imformation.......which ultimatley led me to aa....and a solution.
give him as much imformation as you have........along with web address for s.r..

then maybe it time you look after ......YOU.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you will seek support for yourself.

And, I also hope that your boyfriend will seek help for himself.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Marie

I agree with everyone else here. There's a saying in AlAnon (the support group for Family and Friends of Alcoholics) known as the 3 C's...we didn't cause it, we can't control it, and we can't cure it....I really believe that to be the case, even tho it's hard to hear.

We have an excellent Family and Friends forum here - I hope you'll check that out too
Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 01-25-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Marie,

It is so hard when someone we love is in trouble and yet doesn't see the problem and doesn't want any help, no matter how much we want to give it.

There is a Friends & Family forum here with a ton of wise listening ears you can check out. And I'm sure nearby Al-Anon meetings.

Glad you found SR and I hope that you'll stick around, and that your boyfriend will see the light one day, hopefully sooner than later.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The Friends and Family forum is my advice too. Lots of experience in dealing with alcohol problems. Lots of understanding. I too hope you will take good care of yourself. :ghug3
Old 01-26-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone and I well definatly check out the Friends and Family forum. I really need all the support I cant get and I really need to understand what he is going through. I dont want our relationship to end over this and Im affraid that's what will end up happening. He has admitted that he has a problem but still has done nothing, Im wondering if he ever will. Its hard to live this and I dont want to give up.